    The issue is there is no way to put in the password.

    Thanks,

    Brian

    BCloutier, Jul 11, 2005

  2. BCloutier

    Ed Mullen Guest

    BCloutier wrote:

    > Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
    > The issue is there is no way to put in the password.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

    If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
    yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
    Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
    password.

    also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
    Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the account,
    click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
    smtp.comcast.net:25.

    If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
    account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
    subscriptions.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 11, 2005

  3. BCloutier

    Herb Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > BCloutier wrote

    Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
    The issue is there is no way to put in the password.

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>

    > If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
    > yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
    > Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
    > password.
    >
    > also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
    > Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the
    > account, click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
    > smtp.comcast.net:25.
    >
    > If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
    > account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
    > subscriptions.

    Wasn't aware of this new Comcast news server -- I was able to set it
    up, but not by using my Comcast username; rather, I had to use the
    original alpha-numeric name Comcast assigned to me. If I didn't have it
    written down, I'd not have known it.

    Questions--

    1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
    using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
    2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
    the new Comcast server ?

    Thanx--

    Herb

    Herb, Jul 11, 2005
  4. BCloutier

    Stubby Guest

    Herb wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> BCloutier wrote

    > Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
    > The issue is there is no way to put in the password.
    >

    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Brian
    >>>

    >> If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
    >> yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
    >> Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
    >> password.
    >>
    >> also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
    >> Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the
    >> account, click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
    >> smtp.comcast.net:25.
    >>
    >> If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
    >> account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
    >> subscriptions.
    >>

    > Wasn't aware of this new Comcast news server -- I was able to set it
    > up, but not by using my Comcast username; rather, I had to use the
    > original alpha-numeric name Comcast assigned to me. If I didn't have it
    > written down, I'd not have known it.
    >
    > Questions--
    > 1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
    > using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
    > 2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
    > the new Comcast server ?

    Newsgrops.comcast.net net works, but about once a week it forgets my
    user name and pass word. You need to put in your full email address
    (). Also, it has severe limits on the amount you can
    download. 2GB per month as I recall.

    Stubby, Jul 11, 2005
  5. BCloutier

    Jim Guest

    >Questions--
    >
    >1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
    >using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
    >2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
    >the new Comcast server ?
    >
    >Thanx--
    >
    >Herb

    I was notified of the new server by e-mail from Comcast and told that
    after July 15 my giganews account would not work. That would be
    one advantage to the new server.

    Jim, Jul 11, 2005
  6. BCloutier

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jim wrote:
    >>Questions--
    >>
    >>1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
    >>using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
    >>2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
    >>the new Comcast server ?
    >>
    >>Thanx--
    >>
    >>Herb

    > I was notified of the new server by e-mail from Comcast and told that
    > after July 15 my giganews account would not work. That would be
    > one advantage to the new server.

    exactly.

    Switch to the new server. Your username for logon is yoiur entire email
    address: ... your password is your email password.

    The Giganews service with Comcast is disappearing by month's end. I've
    had no trouble with the new service ... other than this.

    In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username and
    password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the password
    file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in "Always request
    authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit - Mail and
    Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server Settings. I
    can't document this as a fix but if you experience the same repetitive
    requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it here as far as I can
    tell.

    Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because
    he was he, and I was I. - Michel de Montaigne

    Ed Mullen, Jul 12, 2005
  7. BCloutier

    Stubby Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username

    and
    > password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the password
    > file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in "Always request
    > authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit - Mail and
    > Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server Settings. I
    > can't document this as a fix but if you experience the same repetitive
    > requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it here as far as I can
    > tell.
    >
    > Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

    Not quite. The newsgroups account is owned by the primary mail
    account. That's so Comcast can count up bandwidth use against the
    account owner. So when a secondary user tries to get his/her mail, the
    primary account owner's username and password must be presented. But
    Mozilla (1.7.8) with Password Manager gives the current user's ID. The
    result is that secondary users cannot log on to the newsgroups server.

    Stubby, Jul 12, 2005
  8. BCloutier

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    > > In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username and

    >> password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the
    >> password file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in
    >> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit
    >> - Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server
    >> Settings. I can't document this as a fix but if you experience the
    >> same repetitive requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it
    >> here as far as I can tell.
    >>
    >> Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

    > Not quite. The newsgroups account is owned by the primary mail
    > account. That's so Comcast can count up bandwidth use against the
    > account owner. So when a secondary user tries to get his/her mail, the
    > primary account owner's username and password must be presented. But
    > Mozilla (1.7.8) with Password Manager gives the current user's ID. The
    > result is that secondary users cannot log on to the newsgroups server.

    I'm not following you. I have 7 Comcast mail addresses. All are set in
    Mozilla to auto-download, auto-check on start, and re-check every five
    minutes for mail. There is only ONE logon and password (my primary
    email address and pw) saved for newsgroups.comcast.net in the Moz pw
    file. That info is prompted for the first time you access the news
    server after creating the account. That's what gets saved in the pw
    file in Mozilla. Mozilla won't send anything until you give it the info
    to send. Even if you're operating in Mozilla using a different profile
    for each mail account, you can setup the newsgroup server in each
    profile. Simply use the primary email and pw when prompted for the info.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. - Mohandas Gandhi

    Ed Mullen, Jul 12, 2005
  9. BCloutier

    BCloutier Guest

    Thanks to all got it working!