    I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:57:41 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    >Request" or something like that.
    >
    >Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    >I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

    Let me look into my crystal ball...

    My crystal ball says "Something like that".

    Post what it says, and better yet, a copy of the e-mail.

    I'm guessing it has a link for you to click, the link doesn't go to
    comcast.net.

    Evan Platt, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Robert11

    clot Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    > I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

    Why? You know the answer.

    clot, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.

    If you are letting spam into your Inbox, then you should be examining
    each unknown or uncertain email by its headers as the first step in the
    'dissection' process. If you gain experience with header examination,
    you will have no need to open any unknown mail. It would be better if
    the header and body were combed by a proper filter tagger such as
    SpamPal SP prior to the time OE receives it. Then the SP filtertagger
    would have labeled it as spam and OE would be able to keep it out of
    your inbox in the first place.

    And, even if a spam accidentally weren't tagged as spam, it would have
    valuable information stamped into the headers by SP so that when you
    looked at the headers you would be aided about what SP had found in the
    headers and the body.

    > Anyone know if this is for real ?

    Asking people who aren't inspecting your mail's headers isn't the way to
    find out what is wrong with the mail.

    In OE, if you want to see the headers without opening or previewing the
    mail, select the closed item and use alt-enter cntrl-tab. If you are a
    mouser, use File or R click/ Properties.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Robert11

    Vanguard Guest

    "Robert11" wrote in message

    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    > I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

    Without an actual copy of the e-mail, and INCLUDING the headers, no one
    here can know what you got that you didn't share with us.

    So what did Comcast support say when you called them or used their
    on-line tech chat?

    If you want an analysis of the e-mail, post it to the alt.spam newsgroup
    since they are more focused on spam analysis.

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Robert11

    samuel Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification
    > Update Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    > I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    did you look at headers

    samuel, Jul 12, 2007
  7. Robert11

    M Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    > I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    Got it too.

    Forwarded it to their abuse department and, in an automated reply, they
    said that they only investigate abuse from inside their domain. (their
    customers).
    Oh, well.

    The actual message text was a (url) graphic and for those who want to see
    the headers...

    --- START MESSAGE HEADER ---

    Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:11:49 +0200
    Subject: Billing information update
    From: Comcast Support <>
    To: rnee <>

    --=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======

    <HTML><a
    href=3D"http://www=2Ejapatrita-online=2Einfo/untori/ajnou/index=2Ehtm"><=
    img src=3D"http://www=2Ejapatrita-online=2Einfo/ivzadija/randosi=2Ejpg"
    width=
    =3D"697" height=3D"398" alt=3D"--- Comcast-Customer Protection --- " border=
    =3D"0"></a><br>
    www=2Ecomcast=2Enet/wmy/=
    my/ and click unsubscribe link=2E

    --=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======

    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    5:=
    44 PM

    --=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======--

    --- END MESSAGE HEADER ---

    M, Jul 12, 2007
  8. Robert11

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    >Request" or something like that.
    >
    >Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    >I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

    Based on what another poster sent along in this thread, this is
    phishing message. Delete it, don't click on any links in it and don't
    fill out any personal information if you do click on anything.

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Jul 12, 2007
  9. Robert11

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    whosbest54, Jul 12, 2007
  10. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?

    Bogus email I'm 99% sure.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 12, 2007
  11. Robert11

    Tester Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    >Request" or something like that.
    >
    >Anyone know if this is for real ?
    >
    >I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >B.

    Most of us are not Comcast customers so we haven't received your
    email. We might be able to tell you something if you were to provide
    the email with the full headers. Or why not just forward it to
    Comcast?

    (I note that I got email from my bank asking me to fill out a survey
    and the headers indicated that it came from a Microsoft-owned bulk
    mailing service and I asked my bank and they actually did originate
    it. Of course, it didn't ask for all the information needed to go into
    the identity theft biz.)

    Tester, Jul 12, 2007
  12. Robert11

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    > Request" or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is for real ?

    No, it's a phish.

    Rick Merrill, Jul 12, 2007
  13. Robert11

    Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
    >> Request" or something like that.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this is for real ?

    >No, it's a phish.

    Why would someone send him a phish? make him catch em like the rest of
    us.

    --
    Sony BMG Music Entertainment is suing a company that
    developed antipiracy software for CDs (RootKit).

    , Jul 13, 2007