    bypassing macrovision encoding? I have a ton of videos in my collection that
    spans nearly 20 years, many of which are not available on DVD yet, and I
    would like to convert them to DVD+R.
    sleepless, Jun 15, 2004

  2. sleepless

    FAQmeister Guest

    "sleepless" <> wrote in message
    news:_GIzc.45909$
    > I've seen combo VCR-DVD recorders for sale for as little as $250 at
    > Target. Do any of these have the ability to copy commercial video
    > tapes to DVD, bypassing macrovision encoding? I have a ton of videos
    > in my collection that spans nearly 20 years, many of which are not
    > available on DVD yet, and I would like to convert them to DVD+R.

    No. There are ways to defeat Macrovision but that's not one of them.

    And you can get a combo unit for much less than $250.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    FAQmeister, Jun 15, 2004

  3. sleepless

    Marci Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "sleepless" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've seen combo VCR-DVD recorders for sale for as little as $250 at
    >>Target. Do any of these have the ability to copy commercial video
    >>tapes to DVD, bypassing macrovision encoding? I have a ton of videos
    >>in my collection that spans nearly 20 years, many of which are not
    >>available on DVD yet, and I would like to convert them to DVD+R.

    > No. There are ways to defeat Macrovision but that's not one of them.
    >
    > And you can get a combo unit for much less than $250.

    I have one of those units. Panasonic. The reason is because so many of
    my video tapes are deteriorating and I'd like to salvage them while I
    can. As in your case, some are very old. I have not yet come across
    any problems concerning macrovision.

    I posted somewhere earlier here that I don't have the money to go out
    and replace these tapes with DVDs. This seems to be the only way I can
    preserve some of my classics.

    And before anyone gets their shorts tied up in a knot, these are
    strictly for my own personal use. I never loan my movies out.

    Now I do have a question. What do I do with my old tapes? Do I keep
    them and let them continue to rot, or should I donate them to a nursing
    home or library or something like that? What are the legal limits here?

    Thanks much!
    Marci, Jun 15, 2004
  4. sleepless

    sleepless Guest

    "Marci" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister wrote:
    > > "sleepless" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I've seen combo VCR-DVD recorders for sale for as little as $250 at
    > >>Target. Do any of these have the ability to copy commercial video
    > >>tapes to DVD, bypassing macrovision encoding? I have a ton of videos
    > >>in my collection that spans nearly 20 years, many of which are not
    > >>available on DVD yet, and I would like to convert them to DVD+R.

    > > No. There are ways to defeat Macrovision but that's not one of them.
    > >
    > > And you can get a combo unit for much less than $250.

    > I have one of those units. Panasonic. The reason is because so many of
    > my video tapes are deteriorating and I'd like to salvage them while I
    > can. As in your case, some are very old. I have not yet come across
    > any problems concerning macrovision.
    >
    > I posted somewhere earlier here that I don't have the money to go out
    > and replace these tapes with DVDs. This seems to be the only way I can
    > preserve some of my classics.
    >
    > And before anyone gets their shorts tied up in a knot, these are
    > strictly for my own personal use. I never loan my movies out.
    >
    > Now I do have a question. What do I do with my old tapes? Do I keep
    > them and let them continue to rot, or should I donate them to a nursing
    > home or library or something like that? What are the legal limits here?
    >
    > Thanks much!

    One option might be to wait until the movie you want is on cable (preferably
    a commercial free pay channel) and record it. The quality will probably be
    better than the copied VHS tape.
    sleepless, Jun 16, 2004
  5. sleepless

    Mark Spatny Guest

    FAQmeister, says...
    > And you can get a combo unit for much less than $250.

    That records to DVD, not VHS? Example, please. Maker, model, and web
    site selling it, if you don't mind.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 16, 2004
  6. sleepless

    sleepless Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister, says...
    > > And you can get a combo unit for much less than $250.

    > That records to DVD, not VHS? Example, please. Maker, model, and web
    > site selling it, if you don't mind.

    I think he misunderstood. I would be surprised if they were "much less than
    $250" anytime soon.

    I'm guessing they'll break the $100 barrier in a couple years, no less. By
    then, most people won't care if it has a VHS unit in it.
    sleepless, Jun 16, 2004
  7. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:08:26 GMT, "sleepless"
    <> wrote:

    >I've seen combo VCR-DVD recorders for sale for as little as $250 at Target.
    >Do any of these have the ability to copy commercial video tapes to DVD,
    >bypassing macrovision encoding? I have a ton of videos in my collection that
    >spans nearly 20 years, many of which are not available on DVD yet, and I
    >would like to convert them to DVD+R.

    My guess is it will not directly record macrovision protected
    commercial VHS tapes. There are ways to defeat macrovision using an
    external box of some sort and feeding the DVD recorder with an
    external VCR. Here's a search from the Videohelp site on defeating
    macrovision to get you started:

    http://www.google.com/search?domain...afe=off&as_q=defeat macrovision&SUBMIT=Search

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
    Gary A. Edelstein, Jun 16, 2004