Combining vty definitions on a switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JF Mezei, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Cisco 2924 XL-EN 12.0(5) WC9

    I have the following definitions in running-config:

    line vty 0 4
    password ubdpnpdf
    login
    terminal-type VT300
    exec-character-bits 8
    length 0
    international
    line vty 5 15
    password ubdpnpdf
    login
    terminal-type VT300
    exec-character-bits 8
    length 0
    international

    This is what I want : (and put in my startup-config:

    !
    line vty 0 15
    password ubdpnpdf
    login
    terminal-type VT300
    exec-character-bits 8
    length 0
    international
    !

    AKA: I want to combine this in a single line vty 0 15 block.

    I tried copy startup-config running-config, and it left the vty definitions
    in 2 blocks.

    I tried to "configure" and again, it left it in 2 blocks.

    I assume that the existing definitions are not deletable from a running
    system and so trying to create a "0 15" block results in no action since it
    would duplicate the existing 2 blocks ?

    Is a reboot the only way to get this done ? Or is there some magic command
    incantation that would solve this ?

    (those 2 blocks were probably created when I was toying with the switch
    during initial "get to know it").

    JF Mezei, Jan 20, 2007

  2. JF Mezei

    Guest

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Cisco 2924 XL-EN 12.0(5) WC9
    >
    > I have the following definitions in running-config:
    >
    > line vty 0 4
    > password ubdpnpdf
    > login
    > terminal-type VT300
    > exec-character-bits 8
    > length 0
    > international
    > line vty 5 15
    > password ubdpnpdf
    > login
    > terminal-type VT300
    > exec-character-bits 8
    > length 0
    > international
    >

    > This is what I want : (and put in my startup-config:
    >
    > !
    > line vty 0 15
    > password ubdpnpdf
    > login
    > terminal-type VT300
    > exec-character-bits 8
    > length 0
    > international
    > !
    >
    > AKA: I want to combine this in a single line vty 0 15 block.
    >

    > I tried copy startup-config running-config, and it left the vty definitions
    > in 2 blocks.
    >
    > I tried to "configure" and again, it left it in 2 blocks.
    >
    > I assume that the existing definitions are not deletable from a running
    > system and so trying to create a "0 15" block results in no action since it
    > would duplicate the existing 2 blocks ?
    >
    > Is a reboot the only way to get this done ? Or is there some magic command
    > incantation that would solve this ?
    >
    > (those 2 blocks were probably created when I was toying with the switch
    > during initial "get to know it").

    No, these two blocks are normal.

    You can I think refer to them for the purpose of
    config changes with

    line vty 0 15

    I have never worried about this.

    , Jan 21, 2007

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    wrote:
    > No, these two blocks are normal.
    >
    > You can I think refer to them for the purpose of
    > config changes with
    >
    > line vty 0 15

    Many thanks. If those 2 blocks are there by default, then I neededn't worry
    aout something bad I had done before :) :) :)

    I appreciate all the responses you've given me.

    JF Mezei, Jan 22, 2007