Combining multiple wifi sources/signals for more bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    these signals at once to create a really fat pipe (especially when
    walking around the house with my notebook). I am a podcast/vidcast
    junkie so I could actually use some more bandwidth. I use XP and i
    have an old Linux box (Slackware, but will consider changing or adding
    a box [thanks used university supply store]) so I can go either route
    (I am ok with Linux [command line etc] but *not* a guru) in terms of
    OSes. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations on
    how to go about this or know of any good HOWTOs (the simpler the
    better) about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    , Dec 1, 2005

  2. On 1 Dec 2005 09:15:30 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    >that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    >your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    >this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    >you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    >these signals at once to create a really fat pipe (especially when
    >walking around the house with my notebook). I am a podcast/vidcast
    >junkie so I could actually use some more bandwidth. I use XP and i
    >have an old Linux box (Slackware, but will consider changing or adding
    >a box [thanks used university supply store]) so I can go either route
    >(I am ok with Linux [command line etc] but *not* a guru) in terms of
    >OSes. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations on
    >how to go about this or know of any good HOWTOs (the simpler the
    >better) about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    There is no easy way to distribute the traffic between two different
    IP addresses, through two different gateways, so that a download from
    a single IP address, would run perhaps twice as fast. However, if you
    were to open two streams, one through each route, you would get double
    your bandwidth. However, not from a single stream. It would work for
    usenet news, surfing while downloading, and peer-to-peer havoc, but
    not a streaming broadcast originating from a single server.

    There are products that will do this under "load balancing routers"
    http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-PRIrouter.htm
    http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-router.htm
    Basically, it's just like an "ordinary" router except except it has
    multiple WAN ports. One goes to your DSL modem. The other goes via a
    wireless client to your neighbors wireless connection.

    You can probably do the same thing with your Linux conglomeration.
    However, I'll plead ignorance and let someone with more expience in
    Linux offer soemthing that works.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

    Jeff Liebermann, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Unruh Guest

    writes:

    >Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    >that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    >your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    >this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    >you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    >these signals at once to create a really fat pipe (especially when
    >walking around the house with my notebook). I am a podcast/vidcast
    >junkie so I could actually use some more bandwidth. I use XP and i
    >have an old Linux box (Slackware, but will consider changing or adding
    >a box [thanks used university supply store]) so I can go either route
    >(I am ok with Linux [command line etc] but *not* a guru) in terms of
    >OSes. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations on
    >how to go about this or know of any good HOWTOs (the simpler the
    >better) about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Simply not possible. IF the ISP at the far end were the same, and if that
    ISP were willing to multilink the pipes into one, then maybe, but tough.

    Unruh, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Eric Guest

    <> wrote in message...
    > Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    > that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    > your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    > this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    > you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    > these signals at once to create a really fat pipe

    I did something like that many years ago, although with dialup modems and
    some software that I no longer remember the name of.

    Used one modem with my commercial dialup ISP at the time, and the other with
    my dialup .edu

    Like Jeff said, you get two streams -- not one big fat combined pipe.

    Kinda like having a dual processor computer (and dual processor capable OS),
    but using applications that can only take advantage of one processor. You
    simply just point each application to use one or the other CPU's. The
    program I used for the modems was the similiar concept.

    As for mooching, my neighbors have broadband, but no wireless hardware. One
    of my repeaters spills into their backyard, which I let them mooch from
    though. They use it often during the summer with their laptops. As I
    config'd their laptops to be able to use it, obviously I could care less.

    Cheers!
    -Eric

    Eric, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    On 1-Dec-2005, Unruh <> wrote:

    > Simply not possible. IF the ISP at the far end were the same, and if that
    > ISP were willing to multilink the pipes into one, then maybe, but tough.

    If through the one ISP, there would still the problem of connections
    being no faster than the slowest link in the chain, and with
    intense competition and pricecutting, whether your ISP is
    buying enough bandwidth into Telehouse and LINX.

    , Dec 1, 2005
  6. Unruh Guest

    "Eric" <> writes:

    ><> wrote in message...
    >> Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    >> that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    >> your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    >> this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    >> you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    >> these signals at once to create a really fat pipe

    >I did something like that many years ago, although with dialup modems and
    >some software that I no longer remember the name of.

    >Used one modem with my commercial dialup ISP at the time, and the other with
    >my dialup .edu

    >Like Jeff said, you get two streams -- not one big fat combined pipe.

    >Kinda like having a dual processor computer (and dual processor capable OS),
    >but using applications that can only take advantage of one processor. You
    >simply just point each application to use one or the other CPU's. The
    >program I used for the modems was the similiar concept.

    What you have to do is alter the routing tables on your machine to tell it
    which line to send out and receive the material for a specific material.
    YOu will also need to make sure that you have different IP addresses on the
    two streams or only one will get used for the return. This means that you
    need to dynamically alter your routing tables depending on which two places
    you want to connect to.

    >As for mooching, my neighbors have broadband, but no wireless hardware. One
    >of my repeaters spills into their backyard, which I let them mooch from
    >though. They use it often during the summer with their laptops. As I
    >config'd their laptops to be able to use it, obviously I could care less.

    Well, if you care so much, you should probably do something about it.
    (Or maybe you wanted to say that you couldn't care less).

    Unruh, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Dave J. Guest

    In MsgID<> within
    uk.comp.home-networking, '' wrote:

    >Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    >that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit (in case
    >your wondering, I am considering throwing in a few bucks a month if
    >this works). I already have DSL so I have decent speed already (buy can
    >you really have "enough" speed) but it would be sweet to use all of
    >these signals at once to create a really fat pipe (especially when
    >walking around the house with my notebook).

    I don't know if it would fit with your use of the bandwidth but for
    windows there's a piece of connection teaming software called 'Midpoint'.

    It's intended to make use of multiple links to the internet by sharing the
    connections out between them. For example it seperates the various
    connections when viewing a web page and it automagically does partial file
    requests on larger downloads, both ftp and http.

    It operates as a NAT gateway and as SOCKS proxy servers. If your WIFI
    linkup can be presented as a NIC or as an ethernet connection then it will
    fit with the sharing.

    As I said, I don't know if it's right, the other disadvantages are a) that
    it is no longer supported by its company and b) it is not freeware.

    Quickest place to read about it is

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/midpoint-sharing.asp

    and if that grabs your interest then there are excellent PDF documents
    that arrive with the package, downloadable from

    ftp://ftp.midpoint.com/pub/download/midpoint.zip

    though the homepage is currently offline.

    I researched it about a year ago and this was the best possibility I
    found.

    Dave J.

    Dave J., Dec 2, 2005
  8. Snowbat Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:15:30 -0800, gaikokujinkyofusho wrote:

    > Hi, I have two neighbors that have wifi g/b (for email, it kills me)
    > that have said it would be ok if I mooched off of them a bit

    > I use XP and i have an old Linux box (Slackware, but will consider
    > changing or adding a box

    Linux:
    Routing for multiple uplinks/providers
    http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

    OS X / interesting overview:
    Bob Quietly "Borrows" Internet Service From Three Neighbors at Once

    Snowbat, Dec 2, 2005
  9. Snowbat Guest

    Snowbat, Dec 2, 2005