    using now. Just dropping the files and .msf files into ...\Mail
    didn't work.
    I welcome advice. TIA.

    Stubby, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Stubby wrote:
    > I was able to recover files from the Mail subdirectory of my TB
    > profile. Now, I would like to include these in (different)
    > installation I'm using now. Just dropping the files and .msf files
    > into ...\Mail didn't work.
    > I welcome advice. TIA.

    Dont transfer the .msf files. They are indexes of the underlying file
    and will be recreated by TB when needed.

    Prepare the 'target' profile, the one you will be moving things into.
    Usually this involves moving mail out of the files you will be moving.
    i.e. if one of the files you will be moving is named inbox then move all
    your current mail out of the inbox in the target profile. (you can move
    it back later after recovering the old mail)

    If the names of the files you will be moving dont exist in the target
    profile, then create them there by using the create folder command in
    Thunderbird. Dont put anything in these folders tho.

    Ideally, all the files you are moving should already exist in the target
    profile AND be empty at the time of transfer. This is because they will
    be overwritten when you move the old ones. Once those conditions are
    met, then simply drop in the old files letting them replace (the empty
    ones) in the target profile. Do this with Thunderbird OFF.

    Restart Thunderbird and all your old mail files should be visible (the
    ..msf files will be recreated for you). Now just move any new mail back
    into their respective folders and <VOILA> all your mail is in one place
    again.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Feb 7, 2006

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >> I was able to recover files from the Mail subdirectory of my TB
    >> profile. Now, I would like to include these in (different)
    >> installation I'm using now. Just dropping the files and .msf files
    >> into ...\Mail didn't work.
    >> I welcome advice. TIA.

    > Dont transfer the .msf files. They are indexes of the underlying file
    > and will be recreated by TB when needed.
    >

    > Prepare the 'target' profile, the one you will be moving things into.
    > Usually this involves moving mail out of the files you will be moving.
    > i.e. if one of the files you will be moving is named inbox then move all
    > your current mail out of the inbox in the target profile. (you can move
    > it back later after recovering the old mail)
    >
    > If the names of the files you will be moving dont exist in the target
    > profile, then create them there by using the create folder command in
    > Thunderbird. Dont put anything in these folders tho.
    >
    > Ideally, all the files you are moving should already exist in the target
    > profile AND be empty at the time of transfer. This is because they will
    > be overwritten when you move the old ones. Once those conditions are
    > met, then simply drop in the old files letting them replace (the empty
    > ones) in the target profile. Do this with Thunderbird OFF.
    >
    > Restart Thunderbird and all your old mail files should be visible (the
    > .msf files will be recreated for you). Now just move any new mail back
    > into their respective folders and <VOILA> all your mail is in one place
    > again.

    Sorry. The above directions don't make sense to me. What does it mean
    for a file to exist and be empty? What does it mean for Thunderbird to
    be OFF?

    Are you saying I must create a new profile, stuff the Mail subdirectory,
    delete any .msf files, get out of TB. Then get back in and let TB
    create the .msf files?

    Stubby, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Stubby wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>> I was able to recover files from the Mail subdirectory of my TB
    >>> profile. Now, I would like to include these in (different)
    >>> installation I'm using now. Just dropping the files and .msf files
    >>> into ...\Mail didn't work.
    >>> I welcome advice. TIA.

    >> Dont transfer the .msf files. They are indexes of the underlying file
    >> and will be recreated by TB when needed.
    >>

    >> Prepare the 'target' profile, the one you will be moving things into.
    >> Usually this involves moving mail out of the files you will be
    >> moving. i.e. if one of the files you will be moving is named inbox
    >> then move all your current mail out of the inbox in the target
    >> profile. (you can move it back later after recovering the old mail)
    >>
    >> If the names of the files you will be moving dont exist in the target
    >> profile, then create them there by using the create folder command in
    >> Thunderbird. Dont put anything in these folders tho.
    >>
    >> Ideally, all the files you are moving should already exist in the
    >> target profile AND be empty at the time of transfer. This is because
    >> they will be overwritten when you move the old ones. Once those
    >> conditions are met, then simply drop in the old files letting them
    >> replace (the empty ones) in the target profile. Do this with
    >> Thunderbird OFF.
    >>
    >> Restart Thunderbird and all your old mail files should be visible (the
    >> .msf files will be recreated for you). Now just move any new mail back
    >> into their respective folders and <VOILA> all your mail is in one
    >> place again.

    > Sorry. The above directions don't make sense to me. What does it mean
    > for a file to exist and be empty? What does it mean for Thunderbird to
    > be OFF?
    >
    > Are you saying I must create a new profile, stuff the Mail subdirectory,
    > delete any .msf files, get out of TB. Then get back in and let TB
    > create the .msf files?

    Off means closed, not running.

    An empty file will have no data in it. For example, an Inbox file that
    has no mail in it would be considered empty.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 8, 2006