    Kingpin Guest

    When movies are sent in multiple files, how do you combine them to view?
    Thanks.

    Kingpin, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Kingpin

    beenthere Guest

    "Kingpin" <> wrote in message
    news:4562e3b6$0$21143$...
    > When movies are sent in multiple files, how do you combine them to view?
    > Thanks.

    What form are the files in ?.

    beenthere, Nov 21, 2006

  3. "Kingpin" posted this esurient inquiry
    in news:4562e3b6$0$21143$:

    > When movies are sent in multiple files,
    > how do you combine them to view?
    > Thanks.

    Usually with the same utility that split them up.

    --

    To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
    Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.

    This is "truth," to me.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Kingpin

    richard Guest

    "Kingpin" <> wrote in message
    > When movies are sent in multiple files, how do you combine them to view?
    > Thanks.

    "Combine and decode" for split flies with filenames like movie.mpg(003/032).
    See Oe help files.
    Use a joiner/spltter for files like movie.mpg.001
    if you see one that has a name like movie.mpg.001.rar, then you'll need
    winrar and MUST have all parts to complete.

    "mastersplitter" is available at www.tomasoft.com

    To avoid the BS hassle of "Combine and Decode" through OE, you should try
    using "40tude dialog" newsreader.
    $40 will get you the best binary downloader www.newsbin.com

    richard, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Kingpin

    beenthere Guest

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns988264C824849WiZEERD@216.151.153.14...
    > "Kingpin" posted this esurient inquiry
    > in news:4562e3b6$0$21143$:
    >>
    >> When movies are sent in multiple files,
    >> how do you combine them to view?
    >> Thanks.

    > Usually with the same utility that split them up.

    You did that in one sentence Bucky <g>.

    beenthere, Nov 21, 2006
  6. Kingpin

    gangle Guest

    "Kingpin" wrote
    > When movies are sent in multiple files, how do you combine them to view?
    > Thanks.

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent (free trial):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or 40tude Dialog (free)
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for ~$40, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries (no text):
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    About yEnc:

    yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
    less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
    size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
    file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
    converted to text for uploading and downloading:
    With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
    So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
    uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
    Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
    encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
    just doesn't give a shit about OE as a newsreader.
    You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
    easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
    software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
    binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
    install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
    decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
    (or do a search for "newsreaders").

    About RARs and PARs:

    RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
    numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
    and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
    can be extracted:
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

    PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
    replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
    due to poor propagation by a news server.
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    Sometimes, files are split into parts that have extensions
    like .001, .002, etc. -- you need a split-file type program
    to reassemble the parts, like Master Splitter:
    http://www.tomasoft.com/

    Also, if you're going to download a lot of
    binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
    news service that has high article completion
    and long article retention -- the gold standard
    of premium news service being Giganews
    (close to 100% article completion -- Par files
    almost never needed; up to *90 days* retention):
    http://www.giganews.com/
    A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
    http://www.easynews.com/

    So, to sum up, what you need is:

    1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

    2--WinRar

    3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

    and, optionally...

    4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
    such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
    for that program:
    ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

    5--Subscribe to a premium news service

    gangle, Nov 21, 2006
  7. "beenthere" really posted this
    in news:6mF8h.50113$:

    > "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns988264C824849WiZEERD@216.151.153.14...
    >> "Kingpin" posted this esurient inquiry
    >> in news:4562e3b6$0$21143$:
    >>>
    >>> When movies are sent in multiple files,
    >>> how do you combine them to view?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Usually with the same utility that split them up.
    >>

    > You did that in one sentence Bucky <g>.

    My non-verbals are notoriously effective too. (^;

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 21, 2006