combined video/dvd recorder recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by D M Smith, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. D M Smith

    D M Smith Guest

    Ok....here goes...

    My faithfull video recorder has finally bitten the dust.

    I'm thinking of buying a combined video/dvd recorder as I'd like to
    start recording programmes on DVDs as they take up less space than VHS
    tapes, but I have a number of VHS tapes that I'd still like to be able
    to watch.

    How good are the combined video/DVD recorders? Argos is selling a Bush
    DVRHS02 for £200. Is it any good or am I better off just getting a
    cheap video recorder and staying put in the 20th Century?

    I would appreciate recommendations around the £200 mark.

    Thanks

    Duds

    D M Smith, Apr 12, 2005

  2. D M Smith

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    2s.com says...
    > Ok....here goes...
    >
    > My faithfull video recorder has finally bitten the dust.
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a combined video/dvd recorder as I'd like to
    > start recording programmes on DVDs as they take up less space than VHS
    > tapes, but I have a number of VHS tapes that I'd still like to be able
    > to watch.
    >
    > How good are the combined video/DVD recorders? Argos is selling a Bush
    > DVRHS02 for £200. Is it any good or am I better off just getting a
    > cheap video recorder and staying put in the 20th Century?
    >
    > I would appreciate recommendations around the £200 mark.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Duds

    I would never buy a combo unit. What if the vcr fails? Then you have
    half a machine. Vcrs are so cheap nowadays I'd just get a dvd recorder
    with the features you want and then get a $40 vcr (you do the
    conversion, I don't have a pound symbol).

    theyak, Apr 13, 2005

  3. D M Smith

    steamer Guest

    --Stay away from Go Video's new unit; mine failed right out of the
    box. Three of us, a software geek, an EE and I all read the manual and
    *nobody* could make it work. POS, IMO.

    --
    "Steamboat Ed" Haas : The other night I
    Hacking the Trailing Edge! : dreamed about wasabi...

    steamer, May 9, 2005
  4. D M Smith

    FAQmeister Guest

    "steamer" <> wrote in message
    > --Stay away from Go Video's new unit; mine failed right out of the
    > box. Three of us, a software geek, an EE and I all read the manual and
    > *nobody* could make it work. POS, IMO.

    Probably just a "DOA." It happens. I have a Go Video combo and it works
    better than others I've used, like Panasonic and Samsung.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, May 9, 2005