    to be combined has no attachment (just the large quantity of odd characters)
    then the 'created' message just has loads of characters but no file created.
    What's gone wrong?
    Steve, Apr 30, 2005

  2. Steve

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Using OE6, when I 'combine and decode' I don't get the file unless
    > one of the messages has a file attachment - then it works. If none of
    > the messages to be combined has no attachment (just the large
    > quantity of odd characters) then the 'created' message just has loads
    > of characters but no file created. What's gone wrong?

    OE can't decode yEnc. See the recent thread here with several posts
    with a number of useful links.

    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: yEnc - what is it?
    Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:40:44 -0700

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Steve

    Rudolpho Guest

    Steve Wrote:
    > Using OE6, when I 'combine and decode' I don't get the file unless one of
    > the messages has a file attachment - then it works. If none of the messages
    > to be combined has no attachment (just the large quantity of odd characters)
    > then the 'created' message just has loads of characters but no file created.
    > What's gone wrong?

    You better use a news program like Grabit if you want to download and
    decode YEnc: http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download
    All the versions are beta, but stable.
    --

    Good luck,
    Rudolpho
    Rudolpho, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Steve

    gangle Guest

    "Steve" wrote
    > Using OE6, when I 'combine and decode' I don't get the file unless one of
    > the messages has a file attachment - then it works. If none of the messages
    > to be combined has no attachment (just the large quantity of odd characters)
    > then the 'created' message just has loads of characters but no file created.
    > What's gone wrong?

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
    gangle, Apr 30, 2005