    s Guest

    2 houses want wifi - any way to make both use both dsl connections? I can
    set up the PAs but not sure how to combine the DSL streams.
    s, Mar 2, 2006

  2. s

    John Navas Guest

    [POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <0yGNf.17375$> on Thu, 02 Mar 2006
    18:10:04 GMT, "s" <> wrote:

    >2 houses want wifi - any way to make both use both dsl connections? I can
    >set up the PAs but not sure how to combine the DSL streams.

    Not easily or cheaply.

    --
    Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR ALT.INTERNET.WIRELESS AT
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FAQ_for_alt.internet.wireless>
    John Navas, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 2, 2006
  4. s

    SMS Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    I was going to suggest something like the Hawking device in that
    article, except it sounded like each house had its own DSL modem. To
    combine the two DSL streams would require a cable across to the other
    house, or a kludge of one of the DSL modems connected to an Ethernet to
    802.11g converter, over to the Hawking device with another Ethernet to
    802.11g converter, and then a wireless access point connected to the
    wired router. A lot of hassle and money for questionable results.

    I can't help but asking why he'd want to combine two DSL streams, it'd
    be cheaper to pay for higher speed DSL at just one of the houses, and
    share that DSL connection.
    SMS, Mar 2, 2006
  5. s

    John Navas Guest

    [POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <44076e16$0$96018$> on Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:13:45
    -0800, SMS <> wrote:

    >Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/loadbalance.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    >I was going to suggest something like the Hawking device in that
    >article, except it sounded like each house had its own DSL modem. To
    >combine the two DSL streams would require a cable across to the other
    >house, or a kludge of one of the DSL modems connected to an Ethernet to
    >802.11g converter, over to the Hawking device with another Ethernet to
    >802.11g converter, and then a wireless access point connected to the
    >wired router. A lot of hassle and money for questionable results.
    >
    >I can't help but asking why he'd want to combine two DSL streams, it'd
    >be cheaper to pay for higher speed DSL at just one of the houses, and
    >share that DSL connection.

    Failover. Duh.

    John Navas, Mar 3, 2006
  6. On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:10:04 GMT, "s" <> wrote:

    >2 houses want wifi - any way to make both use both dsl connections? I can
    >set up the PAs but not sure how to combine the DSL streams.

    What's a "PA" ? Is that like an AP but backwards?

    Not easy over wireless but possible. There are load balancing routers
    that will allow you conglomerate broadband connections. See:
    http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/list-PRIrouter.htm
    The catch is that these will not give you the download performance of
    the combined bandwidth of both DSL connections. However, if you are
    connecting to different IP addresses on the net, the load balancing
    routers will split the bandwidth between the two routers.

    I'm not sure how you should run the wires or wireless between houses
    to make this happen. At best, a telco cable would bring the DSL phone
    line to one of the houses, where you would have 2 DSL modems and the
    load balancing router. Then, go back to the 2nd house with wireless
    or a wired connection. Split between two houses, it's a topological
    mess.

    # 831-336-2558 -cruz.ca.us
    # http://802.11junk.com
    # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS