    wireless network? That doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,
    Anatole

    Anatole, Aug 17, 2008

  2. You should be able to access each other if they are in the same subnet. Can
    you ping each other by IP? If not, please post back with the results of both
    computers' ipconfig /all.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Aug 17, 2008

  3. Anatole

    Gregg Hill Guest

    Why are you running the **wireless** network wizard on your **wired**
    desktop?

    Gregg Hill

    Gregg Hill, Aug 17, 2008
  4. Anatole

    Anatole Guest

    hmmm -- I have a general idea what "ping" means. I will have to read about
    this...

    Anatole, Aug 17, 2008
  5. Anatole

    Anatole Guest

    Gregg --

    I have actually tried both ways. If I run the wired network wizard on my
    desktop first, then I get an error message on the laptop when I put in my
    flash drive to transfer the settings to the wireless laptop. Does that make
    any sense?

    Anatole

    Anatole, Aug 17, 2008
  6. Anatole

    Anatole Guest

    ok -- I tried it again, running the wired network wizard on my desktop, then
    putting in the flash drive to transfer settings to the wireless laptop. The
    exact message I get is "cannot run network wizard because this computer is
    part of a domain."

    I bet you can tell I'm new at this...

    Anatole

    Anatole, Aug 17, 2008
  7. Anatole

    Pavel A. Guest

    Anatole wrote:
    > ok -- I tried it again, running the wired network wizard on my desktop, then
    > putting in the flash drive to transfer settings to the wireless laptop. The
    > exact message I get is "cannot run network wizard because this computer is
    > part of a domain."
    >
    > I bet you can tell I'm new at this...

    Yep and we'll also ask: do you know why your
    laptop is in a domain? Is this a work laptop?
    If so, do you know who are your IT administrators at work?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 17, 2008
  8. Anatole

    Anatole Guest

    Pavel,

    Thanks for the prompt response. The laptop is primarily used at work, where
    I connect through a VPN. I was thinking that might be part of the problem,
    although I'm not sure exactly why it's a problem. I guess I can try asking
    the IT folks tomorrow...

    Anatole

    Anatole, Aug 18, 2008
  9. Anatole

    Toni Guest

    "Anatole" wrote...
    > Hi -- I have a linksys wireless router. My desktop is connected to it via
    > one of the wired ethernet ports, and I just got a laptop that connects
    > wirelessly. I'm trying to set up a workgroup so I can share my printer
    > (connected to the wired desktop) and also share folders and the dvd drive off
    > of the desktop. When I use the wireless network setup wizard, it gives me an
    > error message saying that my desktop does not have the appropriate wireless
    > adaptor. What is going on here? Can I not have a combination wired and
    > wireless network? That doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Anatole

    FYI - this is probably not related to your problem, but Linksys wireless routers can get
    pretty hot. If you find that the router suddenly stops working, it's often because it's
    overheated.

    Make sure that you do NOT cover the ventilation holes on top of the Linksys router, and
    place it in a well-ventilated area.

    Toni

    Toni, Aug 18, 2008
  10. Hi
    Beside the initial setting of the Wireless Router that is better done from
    the wired Computer, every ting else concerning the Wireless has to be done
    on the Wireless computer.
    Maybe this can Help.
    One your Wireless computer can connect to the Router and the Internet you
    have to set the Sharing on each computer.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2008
  11. Anatole

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  12. Anatole

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008