    What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 5, 2008

  2. jmc

    salgud Guest

    On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <> wrote:
    > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock.  In the
    > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
    > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
    >
    > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
    > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
    > had in my truck.  It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
    >
    > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
    >
    > jmc

    Superglue will do it.
    salgud, Feb 5, 2008

  3. jmc

    TConway Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <> wrote:
    > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
    > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
    > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
    >
    > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
    > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
    > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
    >
    > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?
    >
    > jmc

    Superglue will do it.

    uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.
    TConway, Feb 5, 2008
  4. jmc

    salgud Guest

    On Feb 5, 9:49 am, "TConway" <> wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <> wrote:
    >
    > > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
    > > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
    > > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep..

    > > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
    > > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
    > > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

    > > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    > > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    > > jmc

    > Superglue will do it.
    >
    > uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.

    Picky, picky, picky.
    salgud, Feb 5, 2008
  5. jmc

    TConway Guest

    "salgud" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 5, 9:49 am, "TConway" <> wrote:
    > "salgud" <> wrote in message

    > On Feb 5, 3:45 am, jmc <> wrote:
    >
    > > Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
    > > beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
    > > the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens
    > > Creep.

    > > I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
    > > most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
    > > had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:

    > > What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    > > carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    > > jmc

    > Superglue will do it.
    >
    > uh, I think he means to be able to use it later.

    Picky, picky, picky.

    actually, a piece of gaffer tape (not duct tape, it will leave residue)
    might hold it temporarily.
    TConway, Feb 5, 2008
  6. jmc

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:15:06 +0930, jmc
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Unlike my other lenses, my new one does not have a lens lock. In the
    >beginning this wasn't a problem, but just as the knowledgeable guy at
    >the store warned me, as I use it more it has indeed developed Lens Creep.
    >
    >I often carry my camera outside of the case, on a shoulder strap. For my
    >most recent trip, I rigged something up with a bit of stretchy-cord I
    >had in my truck. It worked, but not well, so I was wondering:
    >
    >What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    >carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 5, 2008
  7. jmc

    Ray Paseur Guest

    >>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    >>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    > Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

    This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
    or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
    Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
    convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
    short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
    trick. ~Ray
    Ray Paseur, Feb 6, 2008
  8. jmc

    John Navas Guest

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:26:31 GMT, Ray Paseur
    <> wrote in
    <b18qj.26142$>:

    >>>What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    >>>carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    >> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.

    >This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as they zoom
    >or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality lenses from both
    >Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but that defeats the
    >convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the habit of zooming back to
    >short, then out to my desired point. It takes a second, but it does the
    >trick. ~Ray

    To be clear, I was really suggesting two different alternatives.

    1. If creep _isn't_ normal for the lens, get if fixed under warranty if
    possible, or consider replacing it, as in the next item.

    2. If creep _is_ normal for the lens, consider replacing it with a
    different make/model lens that doesn't creek.

    Or learn to live with it, as Ray has suggested.

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  9. jmc

    Frank ess Guest

    Ray Paseur wrote:
    >>> What's the best way to keep a lens from creeping open when you're
    >>> carrying the camera lens-down using a shoulder strap?

    >> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
    >>

    > This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
    > they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
    > lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
    > that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
    > habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
    > takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray

    I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
    is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
    (Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
    other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
    aperture)
    Frank ess, Feb 6, 2008
  10. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Frank ess exclaimed (2/6/2008 1:44 PM):

    >>> Sell it, and get a lens that doesn't creep.
    >>>

    >> This is a common occurrence with the lenses that change length as
    >> they zoom or change focus. I've seen the behavior in high quality
    >> lenses from both Nikon and Canon. You can choose prime lenses, but
    >> that defeats the convenience of zoom. Over time I've developed the
    >> habit of zooming back to short, then out to my desired point. It
    >> takes a second, but it does the trick. ~Ray

    > I have one lens with a switch that keeps it at the short end. Trouble
    > is, one more step between carrying and shooting. It does work.
    > (Canon 70-300 DO IS, a compact, versatile piece with few drawbacks,
    > other than declining sharpness beyond 200mm, and kinda-small maximum
    > aperture)

    I have that lens too, and note the same disadvantages as you do. The
    short lens length is better for me though, I'm a small person with small
    hands, and longer zooms are problematic for me.

    The one with creep is a Canon as well. It's a great lens, aside from
    the creep.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 6, 2008