    In fact, they come to believe the witness causes the trouble.
    ___John Steinbeck

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Sep 20, 2007

  2. ellis_jay

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:48:05 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:

    >I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled party

    No link to the post to see what's going on.

    >to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry and its
    >importance?
    >I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >as well as in HKLM.......com3

    The HKLM is a bit of a short description.

    At least it's some version of Windows, don't know which.

    Com will be COM services. If the keys are deleted, then reinstalling COM
    should sort it, it may even reinstall automatically when next used.

    If you only 'believe' and require 'please explain' then leave it alone.
    Best to avoid registry stuff.

    If you don't then try the MS support from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com
    The develoment tools have lots of registry documentation.

    http://support.microsoft.com

    Me
    why?, Sep 20, 2007

  3. ellis_jay

    ded Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled
    >party
    > to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry and
    > its
    > importance?
    > I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    > as well as in HKLM.......com3

    com3 is a serial communication port usually assigned by Windows
    or software, for hardware such as a modem etc. Though it is only assigned
    if com2 is unavailable.
    Deleting anything in the registry is unwise unless you know specifically
    what the result will be and the effect. The usual step is to rename -
    In your example above, adding "OLD" so as it reads "..../com3OLD".
    Windows ignores anything with "OLD" in it, so if any problems just rename
    back again by removing "OLD", but if you delete it - it's gone!

    Are you getting a specific error message, or did you install hardware -
    modem, printer etc, in which the manual states it should be com2 but it's
    been incorrectly assigned com3?
    ded, Sep 20, 2007
  4. ellis_jay

    Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote:

    >I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled party
    >to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry and its
    >importance?
    >I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >as well as in HKLM.......com3

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_Shadow_Copy_Service ?

    Now link the org discussion.

    --

    Banksy's amazing graffiti art
    http://www.oomsa.com/node/305
  5. ellis_jay

    Guest

    wrote:

    >Now link the org discussion.

    It's also part of the policies (security), found this answering
    another post :)

    --

    Banksy's amazing graffiti art
    http://www.oomsa.com/node/305
    , Sep 21, 2007
  6. ellis_jay

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:20:14 +0100, ded wrote:

    >"ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled
    >>party
    >> to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry and
    >> its
    >> importance?
    >> I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >> as well as in HKLM.......com3
    >>

    >com3 is a serial communication port usually assigned by Windows
    >or software, for hardware such as a modem etc. Though it is only assigned
    >if com2 is unavailable.

    You will of course mean the COM services key and not the hardware serial
    port COM3.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 21, 2007
  7. ellis_jay

    chuckcar Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:48:05 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:
    >
    >>I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled
    >>party

    > No link to the post to see what's going on.
    >
    >>to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry
    >>and its importance?
    >>I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >>as well as in HKLM.......com3

    > The HKLM is a bit of a short description.

    Hkey_local_machine as *anyone* who has used regedit would know.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2007
  8. ellis_jay

    chuckcar Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in

    > I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled
    > party to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry
    > entry and its importance?
    > I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    > as well as in HKLM.......com3

    possibly HKLM\enum\acpi\pnp<foo> which has a label of com3 (not very
    likely unless you have a computer with 4 com ports and *not* usb ports)
    more details are *really* required here. What was the original problem,
    Why remove the keys? Are we talking pre or post windows millenium at
    which point the registry changed dramatically?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2007
  9. ellis_jay

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:29:03 -0400, chuckcar wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:48:05 -0500, ellis_jay wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the troubled
    >>>party

    >> No link to the post to see what's going on.
    >>
    >>>to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry
    >>>and its importance?
    >>>I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >>>as well as in HKLM.......com3

    >> The HKLM is a bit of a short description.

    >Hkey_local_machine as *anyone* who has used regedit would know.

    So you know what the "......." mean then, it's just a bit to small to
    read.

    Me
    why?, Sep 21, 2007
  10. ellis_jay

    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:29:03 -0400, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >>> No link to the post to see what's going on.

    >>> The HKLM is a bit of a short description.

    >>Hkey_local_machine as *anyone* who has used regedit would know.

    > So you know what the "......." mean then, it's just a bit to small to
    > read.
    >
    > Me

    No, just an educated guess on what was a test by someone who didn't know
    enough to construct one. The post isn't asking for help, and without
    *some* kind of detail or relevance to the OP it's pointless disecting it
    any more. Cheers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 21, 2007
  11. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:29:03 -0400, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >>> No link to the post to see what's going on.

    >>> The HKLM is a bit of a short description.

    >> Hkey_local_machine as *anyone* who has used regedit would know.

    > So you know what the "......." mean then, it's just a bit to small to
    > read.

    It would normally mean in the same location as another cited location, the
    difference only being the HKLM or HKCU reference. It is shorthand for this:

    HKCU/software/microsoft/windows/com3

    and HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/com3

    Thanx.

    --

    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Sep 22, 2007
  12. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > "ellis_jay" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the
    >> troubled party to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this
    >> registry entry and its importance?
    >> I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >> as well as in HKLM.......com3

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_Shadow_Copy_Service ?
    >
    > Now link the org discussion.

    MRU's and history have been deleted, as I used CCLeaner. I cannot recall
    the site or find it again without lots of time on my hands. I do believe
    it was something about Shadow services that somehow was related to a 1720 or
    1722 error accociateed with some program-a program unlike AdAware 7, of
    which I am having trouble uninstalling.

    thanx

    ellis_jay, Sep 23, 2007
  13. ellis_jay

    ellis_jay Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:20:14 +0100, ded wrote:
    >

    >> "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >>> I recently saw a post in a forum wherby the "expert" told the
    >>> troubled party
    >>> to delete Com3 in the registry. Please explain this registry entry
    >>> and its
    >>> importance?
    >>> I believe it is in HKcurrentuser/software/microsoft/windows/com3
    >>> as well as in HKLM.......com3
    >>>

    >> com3 is a serial communication port usually assigned by Windows
    >> or software, for hardware such as a modem etc. Though it is only
    >> assigned if com2 is unavailable.

    > You will of course mean the COM services key and not the hardware
    > serial port COM3.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Yes, I meant that what you said.