COM Ports Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a two year old Dell Dimension running W98.

    Very confused over COM ports.

    I am trying via an RTS232 serial cable to get my PC (using a radio control
    software package) to talk to
    a new radio I have.

    Have always thought I was connected to what's called COM 1

    Anyway, I get an error message that says COM Port is in use by another
    application.

    Could it be my dial-up internet connection that is using it ?

    a. How many COM ports "might" I have ?

    b. How do I check what might be using which ?

    c. Can I just tell it (the RS232 connection to radio) to use COM 2, eg. ?

    if so, how ?

    Might I ask if someone has a few spare minutes to also describe generally
    for me, a bit, about these COM Ports; how used, setup, etc.
    Am a true beginner with this.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:34:06 GMT, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Have a two year old Dell Dimension running W98.
    >
    >Very confused over COM ports.
    >
    >I am trying via an RTS232 serial cable to get my PC (using a radio control

    RS232, without the 'T'. There are serial cables and serial cables, then
    there is the nonstandard serial cables and the different standard ones.

    >software package) to talk to
    >a new radio I have.
    >
    >Have always thought I was connected to what's called COM 1

    That's the right name, there is also COM2 (like COM1, a physical port)
    then modems etc can use / create others like virtual COM 3,4,5. COM 3/4
    can also be a plug in card. However there are not enough resources
    interrupts (IRQ) or ports so COM1/3 and 2/4 share some common settings
    and can cause problems.

    >Anyway, I get an error message that says COM Port is in use by another
    >application.
    >
    >Could it be my dial-up internet connection that is using it ?

    Well it could, except it's not normal practice to connect a modem and
    something else to the same port.

    You didn't say if the modem is connected via a serial cable or simply a
    phone cable into a card in an expansion slot.

    >a. How many COM ports "might" I have ?

    2 physical COM1 / 2, quite often only 1 physical port. Then virtual ones
    if your modem is built into the PC.

    >b. How do I check what might be using which ?

    Look at the back of the PC? The COM ports are usually labelled COM1 / 2
    oddly enough or even A / B. Check which cables go where.

    >c. Can I just tell it (the RS232 connection to radio) to use COM 2, eg. ?

    Usually, but you didn't mention either the radio type or name of the
    software. Neither did you mention which of the many models of DELL
    Dimension it was either.

    > if so, how ?
    >
    >Might I ask if someone has a few spare minutes to also describe generally
    >for me, a bit, about these COM Ports; how used, setup, etc.

    It's simpler to give you links to tutorials, saves a lot more typing,
    from www.google.com

    http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/help/serial.htm
    http://www.lvr.com/serport.htm

    http://www.hosenose.com/radio/support/logic5/faq/serial_port_problems.htm
    LOGic shows only a few ports in its dropdown COM port menus. I thought
    it supported any COM port.

    Me

    why?, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    Use a different COM port for your project.

    General info on COM ports
    http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/comports.htm

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:34:06 GMT, in
    <2ZZ7b.490$%>