Com port assignment

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    I work with two way radios (for example the Motorola PR1500) which use a USB
    cable to commincate between the computer and the radio itself. In a normal
    situation I see under the Modem section where the radio is located in the
    device manager and then in my software I will have the choices like COM1 or
    USB to tell the software what port to use for commincations. But in one
    particular model the software has lost the choice to select USB but
    everything looks normal in the device manager. Now I can use the wrong
    software to quary my radio and it tell me that it is the wrong model but the
    correct software forgot how to talk USB I would imagine. So Windows is
    communicating with the radio. I tested my radio and cable on another
    computer and had not a bit of trouble. I am running a Windows XP Service
    Pack 3 laptop (Dell Precision M6400). I have tried using all of the USB
    ports on the system with no change. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    the device driver but no affect. And used other USB devices in the same
    ports and had not any trouble. Motorola support told me that I had to have a
    standard RS232 available even though I am using USB and suggested I get a
    USB to RS232 converter. I didnt think that a RS232 port simply available
    would make any difference but tried it anyway and as I expected no change in
    options.

    Does anybody know how windows XP assigns port numbers to USB devices and
    where that information is stored?

    Or any other ideas that can be tried before I spend hours on the phone
    ....lol

    --
    Thanks,

    Vic

    Vic, Nov 30, 2009

  2. Vic

    chuckcar Guest

    "Vic" <> wrote in

    > I work with two way radios (for example the Motorola PR1500) which use a
    > USB cable to commincate between the computer and the radio itself. In a
    > normal situation I see under the Modem section where the radio is
    > located in the device manager and then in my software I will have the
    > choices like COM1 or USB to tell the software what port to use for
    > commincations. But in one particular model the software has lost the
    > choice to select USB but everything looks normal in the device manager.
    > Now I can use the wrong software to quary my radio and it tell me that
    > it is the wrong model but the correct software forgot how to talk USB I
    > would imagine. So Windows is communicating with the radio. I tested my
    > radio and cable on another computer and had not a bit of trouble. I am
    > running a Windows XP Service Pack 3 laptop (Dell Precision M6400). I
    > have tried using all of the USB ports on the system with no change. Also
    > tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device driver but no affect. And
    > used other USB devices in the same ports and had not any trouble.
    > Motorola support told me that I had to have a standard RS232 available
    > even though I am using USB and suggested I get a USB to RS232 converter.
    > I didnt think that a RS232 port simply available would make any
    > difference but tried it anyway and as I expected no change in options.
    >
    > Does anybody know how windows XP assigns port numbers to USB devices and
    > where that information is stored?
    >
    > Or any other ideas that can be tried before I spend hours on the phone
    > ...lol

    Go to the local computer store and ask for a PCI card with RS-232 ports on
    it. Should cost you less than $20.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 1, 2009

  3. Vic

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 02:34:53 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Go to the local computer store and ask for a PCI card with RS-232 ports on
    >it. Should cost you less than $20.

    How's that?

    "I am running a Windows XP Service Pack 3 laptop"

    G. Morgan, Dec 1, 2009
  4. Vic

    Vic Guest

    Thank you all for the input.
    Evan to answer your question, it is CPS specifically the Astro 25 Portable
    13.00.01 Here is the exept out of the help file. The help file does not get
    into great detail about the exact steps for Windows XP but this gets the
    information out there. The bottom line is I can communicate with the radio
    with Tuner application but not through the CPS. I have tried the uninstall
    and reinstall of the entire Astro software (both tuner and CPS) but had no
    effect. Thanks again for all of input.

    Vic

    USB Port Setup

    (Glossary)

    The USB Port is used to connect the Ribless Programming cable to the
    computer from the ASTRO XTS2500 & XTS5000 Portable radios. The USB Port
    Setup only applies when operating on a Windows ME, or on a Windows 2000 (SP2
    or higher) Operating system.

    Communications are created within the Windows Operating System as a virtual
    modem setup. The modem needs to be set up once for XTS2500 and then again
    for the XTS5000. Once setup is complete, the USB Ports show up in the list
    of ports from within the CPS .

    Setting up the modem:

    a.. The first time, the cable must be inserted into the USB Port with the
    radio attached and with the radio powered off.
    b.. With the CPS running, turn the radio on. (The computer automatically
    recognizes the USB Port and installs the proper driver...this may take a
    while.)
    c.. Repeat this process once for a XTS2500 radio and again for a XTS5000
    radio.
    d.. Windows 2000 users will receive a message that the "digital signatures
    were not found". Click "Yes" to continue the installation.

    Vic, Dec 1, 2009