    digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
    of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

    TIA

    jim fisher, Jun 15, 2007

  2. "jim fisher" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am running a DELL Dimension 8200 and XP Pro with 1 gig memoey, 2 ghz
    > board. I have an XP program to control a TNC for digital
    > communications. The program uses the serial port (Com 1). All too
    > frequenly, when I boot up and attempt to open the contro program, my
    > computer shuts down. The only solution so far is to reboot. go to
    > Device Manager and unistall COM PORT 1 and rebooot. After the computer
    > is up again, the control program works fine. I have tried to find out
    > if there is a newer driver for COM1 with no success.
    >
    > Could there be something wrong with my COM 1 ?? The computer says it
    > is working fine. My computer is 6 years old. Would a new one have the
    > same problem ??
    >
    > Sure would appreciate any helpful thoughts re "stabilizing" COM 1. My
    > digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
    > of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

    Narrow down the list of suspects:
    1) Get a USB > Serial port adapter and plug it in, then run your TNC program
    through that to see if the problem can be replicated with a different COM
    port.

    2) Install the program on another computer, and run from there to see if the
    problem can be replicated on a different computer.

    If both of the above work fine, it's your COM port that's causing the
    problem. Since you'll have a USB > Serial port adapter, you'll also have the
    solution to the problem.

    If the problem can be replicated in both situations above, it's the TNC
    program that's causing the problem.

    Dr. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A7=A4=A4=A7?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?, Jun 15, 2007

  3. jim fisher

    meerkat Guest

    "jim fisher" <> wrote in message
    >I am running a DELL Dimension 8200 and XP Pro with 1 gig memoey, 2 ghz
    > board. I have an XP program to control a TNC for digital
    > communications. The program uses the serial port (Com 1). All too
    > frequenly, when I boot up and attempt to open the contro program, my
    > computer shuts down. The only solution so far is to reboot. go to
    > Device Manager and unistall COM PORT 1 and rebooot. After the computer
    > is up again, the control program works fine. I have tried to find out
    > if there is a newer driver for COM1 with no success.
    >
    > Could there be something wrong with my COM 1 ?? The computer says it
    > is working fine. My computer is 6 years old. Would a new one have the
    > same problem ??
    >
    > Sure would appreciate any helpful thoughts re "stabilizing" COM 1. My
    > digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
    > of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

    A look in your Event Viewer, might throw some light on
    the problem Jim.

    meerkat, Jun 15, 2007
  4. jim fisher

    pcbutts1 Guest