    B.I. Guest

    Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
    the event log?
    B.I., Dec 14, 2005

  2. B.I.

    Cub Guest

    "B.I." <> wrote in message
    news:dnq8bm$a3c$...
    > Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
    > the event log?

    LOL
    Cub, Dec 14, 2005

  3. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

    "Cub" <> wrote in message

    > "B.I." <> wrote in message
    >> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown
    >> in the event log?
    >>

    > LOL

    Lots of LUCK????
    B.I., Dec 15, 2005
  4. "B.I." <> wrote in message
    > Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
    > the event log?

    search google.com ??
    maybe http://support.microsoft.com

    --
    Rob
    techhowto.org
    Rob Burghdoff, Dec 15, 2005
  5. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

    B.I., Dec 15, 2005
  6. B.I.

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:

    >"Rob Burghdoff" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "B.I." <> wrote in message
    >>> Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown
    >>> in the event log?
    >>>

    >> search google.com ??
    >> maybe http://support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rob
    >> techhowto.org
    >>Been Googling like mad, Rob, as have many others. In the words of the
    >>old song, there seem to be"more questions than answers". Thank you
    >>for the link, I will try it.

    You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
    example.

    Generally, to start off with,

    www.google.com

    event id < the number without the <> > COM+

    Even a broad guess

    Results 1 - 10 of about 97,400 English pages for
    event id com+
    .. (0.41 seconds)

    is less than 100,000 pages.

    Adding a number from that search is down to 357 pages

    Results 1 - 10 of about 357 English pages for
    event id 4609 com+
    .. (0.26 seconds)

    MS advanced search

    Me
    why?, Dec 15, 2005
  7. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:
    >

    >>"Rob Burghdoff" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "B.I." <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> search google.com ??
    >>> maybe http://support.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rob
    >>> techhowto.org
    >>>Been Googling like mad, Rob, as have many others. In the words of the
    >>>old song, there seem to be"more questions than answers". Thank you
    >>>for the link, I will try it.

    > You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
    > example.

    OK, but I thought MS had created a fix for these errors. Maybe I dreamt
    it.

    What I am seeing on boot up are these,
    ( several times in the space of 40 seconds:)

    15.12.2005 Source Category Event
    In Applications Error COM+ (98) 4822
    Error COM+ Unknown
    4689
    Error VSS None
    8193

    There are also various warning entries e,g Event (105) 4444 Event
    (113) 4455

    Details
    > ID 8193 Source VSS Versions 5.2 Symbolic name
    > VSS_ERROR_UNEXPENCTED_CALLING_ROUTINE_
    >
    > In the comments on this is included:-"This informational event is
    > logged when
    > the system starts in safe mode on a computer running Windows XP
    > because COM+
    > is not enabled in Safe Mode, or, occasionally when Anti-Virus and
    > indexing
    > programmes open temporary files used by back-up programmes during back
    > up.

    "This message also appears if there is a problem in the COM+
    infra-structure such as when COM+ Services are disabled or not
    registered correctly, or when a program such as FORMAT CHK DSK or
    Logical Disk Management opens a volume with an exclusive lock and the
    Volume copy Shadow Service cannot create a shadow copy.

    User action:-
    If a problem opened a volume with an exclusive lock wait until the
    program finishes running and then try again.

    To see whether there is a problem with the COM+ infrastructure do one
    or all of the following:

    In MMC in the services snap-in verify that COM+ Services are enabled.
    If they are not, set Event System (Com+ Event System) and SENS
    (System Event Notifications) to autostart instead of to disabled.

    *MMC in services snap???? *(Looks good , but why autostart and not
    startup?)*

    Verify that the COM+ infrastucture is registered correctly. For more
    information about registering the COM+ infrastructure see Article
    246499 in Microsoft Knowledge Base."

    And I have also found this:-

    COM problems on the server can cause installation failures. You may
    receive an error message in the Exchange Server Setup Progress Log.txt
    file that states that registration failed for the Cdoevt.dll file.

    *Does that imply a problem with functioning of the CD fitment?"

    Check the following to ensure that there are no COM problems:
    . Make sure that the COM+ Event system and Microsoft Distributed
    Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) services are running.
    . Check the System event log for any errors related to these
    services.
    Verify that COM is working by enumerating any COM packages on your
    server. To do so:

    1. Under Administrative Tools, click Component Services.
    2. Expand Component Services, expand Computers, expand

    My Computer, and then expand COM+ Applications.

    *(Did not manage to do this at all - could not see what I wanted)*

    You should receive no errors. If you do find a problem, follow the
    steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to reset the COM
    service:
    246499 PRB: COM+ Setup Problems While Upgrading to Windows 2000 .

    *I note the reference to upgrading to Windows 2000.*
    "I am using Windows XP with SP2*

    B.I., Dec 16, 2005
  8. B.I.

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:59:49 -0000, B.I. wrote:

    >> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:59:05 -0000, B.I. wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Rob Burghdoff" <> wrote in message

    >> You could always post the event log ID , event source info as an
    >> example.
    >>

    >OK, but I thought MS had created a fix for these errors. Maybe I dreamt
    >it.
    >
    >What I am seeing on boot up are these,
    >( several times in the space of 40 seconds:)
    >
    >15.12.2005 Source Category Event
    >In Applications Error COM+ (98) 4822
    > Error COM+ Unknown
    >4689
    > Error VSS None
    >8193

    Wow that's 1 serious messed up system :)

    COM+ is in so many bits of the system.

    It may be IIS, VSS, Visual Studio, DTC, .NET , lots of things. Just too
    many to make it a hard slog via newsgroups posts. Only you know what's
    on your PC, what's changed, can search for files.

    >There are also various warning entries e,g Event (105) 4444 Event
    >(113) 4455
    >

    >Details
    >> ID 8193 Source VSS Versions 5.2 Symbolic name
    >> VSS_ERROR_UNEXPENCTED_CALLING_ROUTINE_

    <long story snipped>

    >And I have also found this:-
    >
    >COM problems on the server can cause installation failures. You may
    >receive an error message in the Exchange Server Setup Progress Log.txt
    >file that states that registration failed for the Cdoevt.dll file.
    >
    >*Does that imply a problem with functioning of the CD fitment?"

    ?? CD fitment?

    Guess you are referring to "cdoevt", in the article (you didn't give any
    links) about MS Exchange,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290734
    which you won't have on XP SP2, Exchange is a server product.

    You do have exchange installed? You tried to install it :)
    If not look at what other apps / recent system changes there are.

    <snip bits of copied article>

    >server. To do so:
    >
    > 1. Under Administrative Tools, click Component Services.
    > 2. Expand Component Services, expand Computers, expand
    >
    > My Computer, and then expand COM+ Applications.
    >

    > *(Did not manage to do this at all - could not see what I wanted)*

    Which was what?

    > You should receive no errors. If you do find a problem, follow the
    >steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to reset the COM
    >service:
    > 246499 PRB: COM+ Setup Problems While Upgrading to Windows 2000 .
    >

    >*I note the reference to upgrading to Windows 2000.*

    Sometimes there are links to other version of the articles, if not
    search for similar keywords adding

    windows xp sp2

    >"I am using Windows XP with SP2*

    Then you did see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;910720
    Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 12

    Sounds like a backup test the backup worked, backup then test the 2nd ,
    , install to a new clean disk, copy files from old disk.

    You may get away with doing and testing just 2 backups and reinstalling
    XP SP2 on top of itself. Could be risky.

    Do more searching, reading

    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=758414

    http://www.google.com/search?q=com+ event 4689

    http://www.google.com/search?&q=com+ event 4444

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp sp2 event 8193

    >> Generally, to start off with,
    >>
    >> www.google.com
    >>
    >> event id < the number without the <> > COM+
    >>
    >> Even a broad guess

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Dec 16, 2005
  9. B.I.

    Trax Guest

    "B.I." <> wrote:

    |>Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly shown in
    |>the event log?

    At
    http://jasmel90.com/TechNotes/QCS_Take_Home/NTRESKIT/
    you can download NTMSGS.CNT and NTMSGS.HLP

    While these are very dated, you can still get some info about errors
    that appear in the event viewer under XP

    Trax, Dec 16, 2005
  10. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

> [...]

    > windows xp sp2
    >
    >>"I am using Windows XP with SP2*

    > Then you did see
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;910720
    > Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 12
    >

    > Sounds like a backup test the backup worked, backup then test the 2nd
    > ,
    > , install to a new clean disk, copy files from old disk.
    >
    > You may get away with doing and testing just 2 backups and
    > reinstalling
    > XP SP2 on top of itself. Could be risky.
    >
    > Do more searching, reading
    >
    > http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=758414
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=com+ event 4689
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?&q=com+ event 4444
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=xp sp2 event 8193
    >

    >>> Generally, to start off with,
    >>>
    >>> www.google.com
    >>>
    >>> event id < the number without the <> > COM+

    Thanks for that - I will. Someone suggested I want a programmer to
    sort it. Certainly could do with someone who understands the jargon and
    would know what the default settings are.

    Perhaps the manufacturers' suggestion of a re-install of Windows is the
    only solution.
    B.I., Dec 16, 2005
  11. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "B.I." <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Where is MS is there information for fixes to errors repeatedly
    > shown in
    > |>the event log?
    > |>

    > At
    > http://jasmel90.com/TechNotes/QCS_Take_Home/NTRESKIT/
    > you can download NTMSGS.CNT and NTMSGS.HLP
    >
    > While these are very dated, you can still get some info about errors
    > that appear in the event viewer under XP

    Thanks.

    B.I., Dec 16, 2005
  12. B.I.

    B.I. Guest

    "B.I." <> wrote in message

> [...]

    >> Sounds like a backup test the backup worked, backup then test the 2nd
    >> ,
    >> , install to a new clean disk, copy files from old disk.
    >>
    >> You may get away with doing and testing just 2 backups and
    >> reinstalling
    >> XP SP2 on top of itself. Could be risky.
    >>
    >> Do more searching, reading
    >>
    >> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=758414
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=com+ event 4689
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?&q=com+ event 4444
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=xp sp2 event 8193

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > Thanks for that - I will. Someone suggested I want a programmer to
    > sort it. Certainly could do with someone who understands the jargon
    > and would know what the default settings are.
    >
    > Perhaps the manufacturers' suggestion of a re-install of Windows is

    Now read the links - it looks as tho this is a very common problem and
    difficult to resolve.
    Interesting that I was blissfully unaware that I had a problem, until
    someone on a newsgroup suggested looking in the event log for a solution
    to slow start up.
    B.I., Dec 17, 2005
  13. B.I.

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:04:38 -0000, B.I. wrote:

    >"B.I." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Wow that's 1 serious messed up system :)
    >>>
    >>> COM+ is in so many bits of the system.

    <snip>

    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >> Thanks for that - I will. Someone suggested I want a programmer to
    >> sort it. Certainly could do with someone who understands the jargon
    >> and would know what the default settings are.
    >>
    >> Perhaps the manufacturers' suggestion of a re-install of Windows is
    >> the only solution.
    >>

    >Now read the links - it looks as tho this is a very common problem and

    I did read some of those :) and it is hence was able to post links of
    the same event log messages.

    >difficult to resolve.
    >Interesting that I was blissfully unaware that I had a problem, until
    >someone on a newsgroup suggested looking in the event log for a solution
    >to slow start up.

    If the COM components have a problem then startup would be slow trying
    to do something then timeout.

    That's why the event log is handy.

    Me
    why?, Dec 17, 2005