    Thanks,

    Kathie Werner
    Tech editor, vendor [MS]

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aGllIFdlcm5lcg==?=, Oct 6, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFjbWlr?=, Aug 30, 2005

  3. I recently tried to connect wirless imternet with a router , at first it
    worked, but when i turned off the computer then turned it back on i get
    server not found. I allso get wireless service not connected when i go to the
    icon in the lower right hand corner, can you help?
    this is windows xp.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFjbWlr?=, Aug 30, 2005
  4. RE: Column: Wireless Networking Improvements in Windows XP Service

    Did you ever receive any feedback on your issue? I am having a very similar
    issue whereby my WLAN connection stops working after about 5 minutes.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbmRsZXIx?=, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Wireless Networking - acquiring network address issue

    "Kathie Werner" wrote:

    > MVP Tony Northrup tells how to use new features in SP2 for connecting to a
    > wireless network at home or at a public hotspot.

    The column is fairly humdrum and doesn't tackle the nuts and bolts of
    connectivity problems relating to the "acquiring network address" syndrome
    that prevents devices -including wireless cameras - from connecting to the
    network.

    The acquiring network address problem needs to be addressed (pardon the pun)
    so that the problem can be resolved instead of giving arise to intermittent
    or no connection with devices on a network.

    If there are tweaks which users of windows xp can implement to resolve their
    network
    connection problems, then its time for tweaking.

    I've spent all day trying to get a simple connection between a Canon
    wireless Ixus camera to work - but no luck other than to receive the
    acquiring network address issue.

    http://www.amw1.com
    =?Utf-8?B?aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hbXcxLmNvbQ==?=, Feb 24, 2006
  6. Re: Wireless Networking - acquiring network address issue

    Many of these wireless cameras are 802.11b only. In some cases, the
    router or access point was set to 802.11g only instead of mixed b/g
    mode. You should post more information on the router, type of
    encryption, etc. etc.

    I'll try to help if you post more info.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Feb 24, 2006
  7. Re: Wireless Networking - acquiring network address issue

    "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

    > Many of these wireless cameras are 802.11b only. In some cases, the
    > router or access point was set to 802.11g only instead of mixed b/g
    > mode. You should post more information on the router, type of
    > encryption, etc. etc.
    >
    > I'll try to help if you post more info.

    Hi Barb - As more of these wireless cameras start to become popular (if in
    fact they do because none of the them allow the shutter to be controlled)
    then I would think it might be useful to run down some of the tweaks that
    need to be implemented to allo Windowx XP to establish a new network if
    necessary, and to recognise the camera as a new device on that network.

    Some of the tweaks that may need to be made is for 'peer-to-peer networking'
    to be turn on in the windows components section of add/remove programs. This
    does not appear to be turned on by default, although you surely need it if
    you wish to create a new peer-to-peer (ad hoc) network between a pc/laptop
    and digital wireless camera.

    Then the windows firewall needs some tweaking to allow the relevant camera
    program to be listed under the exceptions tab.

    Then the ICMP tab of the windows firewall needs to be tweaked to allow
    incoming echo requests.

    So if there are any tweaks to be done, then now is the time to get tweaking
    with Windows XP.

    By the way, although the Canon Ixus Wireless can take pictures via the
    computer, it has no shutter setting, so it will only take clear photos if you
    stand stock-still. If the cat passes by, then mooch (or pooch as the case
    may be) will look like it has just used up the last of its nine lives.

    So if you are going to take photos of people, then you must ask them to
    stand still without moving and to say "cheese" through gritted teeth. onlt
    then will you obtain a clear photo.

    I think it is time that Microsoft brought out its own Digital Camera!

    John Aidiniantz
    www.amw1.com
    =?Utf-8?B?aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hbXcxLmNvbQ==?=, Feb 26, 2006