    __
    Kristen Heller
    Site Manager, vendor [MS]

    =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Yeah, I'm only miffed that she got to write the column, given that we both
    got Ferrari notebooks. And I love mine!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2005

  3. It was nice of Barb to comment so favorably on this ng. Quite a lot of work
    went into the column and it reads very nicely.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Yeah, but since I vr0000000med before you did, it's only fair that I
    got the column <G>. My upcoming column on the Vista End User
    Experience was also written using the 4000 ;-)

    On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:17:46 -0800, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Yeah, I'm only miffed that she got to write the column, given that we both
    >got Ferrari notebooks. And I love mine!

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman, Nov 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    thank you for the kind words. the Ferrari is certainly and awesome
    machine which made writing the column almost a labor of love.

    Barb Bowman, Nov 8, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    norman Guest

    norman, Nov 8, 2005
  7. Barb Bowman wrote:

    >Yeah, but since I vr0000000med before you did, it's only fair that I
    >got the column <G>. My upcoming column on the Vista End User
    >Experience was also written using the 4000 ;-)

    Have you been able to get wireless working in Vista? That's the big one I
    seem to be missing at the moment.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 8, 2005
  8. True. But then, you only vr000000med because I pointed you at it. :)

    Ah, well, just sour grapes. Good article, btw.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Nov 8, 2005
  10. Barb Bowman wrote:

    >there's a new trick to dealing with more than a gig of memory using
    >bcdedit. it's posted in the appropriate beta newsgroups.
    >
    >On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 05:36:18 -0800, "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Have you been able to get wireless working in Vista? That's the big one I
    >>seem to be missing at the moment.

    >--

    Eh? What's memory got to do with wireless driver support?

    access to any beta newsgroups...

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 9, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    if you have more than 1 gig of memory:

    bcdedit -set TRUNCATEMEMORY 1073741824

    there's a bug in the base broadcom wireless driver

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 9, 2005
  12. Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    I am in the process have having a new desktop built for me out of state which
    I bought on line. It had a Pentium 4 3.6 64 bit processor and Windows XP Pro
    64 bit operating system. Builder emailed with problem with the inexpensive
    video card that was to come with the machine. I had already bought its
    replacement, the XFX GeForce 7800 GTX which nows has a new downloadable
    driver compatible with the OS. I read your article and suggested the quid pro
    quo for losing the old video card would be that he installs XP Pro both 64
    and 32 bit as dual operating system [it has two 250 gig hard drives] and
    sends me the machine with no video card, I would install my new card and run
    it as a dual OS. He is telling me that the machine will run slow with dual
    OS. I find this hard to believe since only one OS runs at a time depending on
    which you boot and the one not running is just taking up disk space. Will a
    dual OS system run slower? And do you think dual OS makes sense for me since
    I am not sure if my brand new $11K Bizhub will work with a 64 bit OS?
    Thanks, Tim

    =?Utf-8?B?VGltIE1jS2luemll?=, Dec 10, 2005
  13. Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    Lame excuse. I see no reason it should run slower. A lot of users in this
    ng are doing just that and none have reported such a thing. For what its
    worth, your idea is an excellent one. Since x64 is an OEM only edition, it
    only makes sense to have both operating systems installed by the system
    builder so that the older OS gets installed first. I suspect he had already
    installed the x64 OS and just doesn't want to have to do it over.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 10, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    There's no reason having two installed OSes would make a computer run
    slower. I also have an AMD64 deskop that dual boots.

    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:06:01 -0800, Tim McKinzie <Tim

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 10, 2005
  15. Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    I had dual boot working perfectly(winXP home , WinXPPro 64). until...
    i did a re-install of the WinXP home(32 bit).Now the computer does not
    recognize the dualboot and only boots straight into the XP home. WHat to
    do!!!!

    From windows explorer of XP Home, I can still see and access most of my
    winXP Pro 64, but cannot make it boot from it. Any ideas how to fix this??

    =?Utf-8?B?Zl9hXzk4?=, Dec 21, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    insert the x64 cd on your system from XP32. Search for ntldr and
    ntdetect.com on the disk. Drag and drop onto your system drive. Reboot

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edi

    Also it may or may not be necessary to rebuild your boot.ini If it is,
    boot to the x64 cd and using the Recovery Console, do a bootcfg /rebuild at
    the command prompt

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2005
  18. HELPPPPPP!!!! :(

    This is a slightly unrelated question, but no one seems to be able to answer
    it.

    In a nut shell, I built a speech reocognition app that I had on
    demonstration at the PDC2005 last october. Considering all things being
    equal, when ever I run the app on AMD machine, it runs like absolute crap!
    When run on a comparable Intel machine, my speech app works like a champ.

    I was one of the lucky winners of the laptop you spoke of in your article.
    I figured, "64 bit processor, 2 gigs of ram... my prog should kick some major
    butt now!"

    Boy was I wrong. Any Intel with a 10th of the resources of this laptop
    simply runs circles around it. :(

    Is this an AMD thing? Why does my speech app run soo porely on an AMD
    machine?

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJ1c3RyYXRlZCBEZXZlbG9wZXIgOig=?=, Jan 27, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?a2g=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Have you asked this question in the developer newsgroups? It sounds
    like you aren't even talking about a 64 bit operating system but only
    AMD versus Intel.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 27, 2006
  20. Best place to ask it, actually, is over on the AMD developer area of their
    web site. I suspect he's doing something particularly Intel specific (and
    there are a few areas that are not absolutely identical).

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 27, 2006