Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    What type of sound card is this? It could possibly be the cause of the
    error, I would try get the latest driver for x64 for that sound card and
    install it in safe mode and see if it will boot properly in safe mode.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 25, 2005

  2. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    Hello Keith,
    What about hitting F8 and choosing VGA mode? That uses the installed
    driver however the default video settings are used and I think acceleration
    is turned off.
    Does the video card have more than one output? It may be trying to output
    via one of the other ports if the card has more than one output.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <thread-index: AcXZkY6hmXr5Xy9tSEO7Yu/Nl8Vq8g==
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E
    <Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:26:03 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    <
    <> When your system finishes BIOS POST, immediately press F8. Several
    times, if
    <> necessary. You should get a boot options menu. Select the option to NOT
    <> immediately restart on error, and continue the boot process. Now, tell
    us
    <> what the error message is that you'll see on your blue screen when it
    fails.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Charlie.
    <> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <>
    <> Keith wrote:
    <> > Hi, Here is my problem. I bought xp64 to instal on a computer that
    has a
    <> > 64 bit processor and the installation seems to go fine all the way till
    <> > the end. Then when I reboot the machine to start it up the Windows
    screen
    <> > shows as if it is loading then all of a sudden the monitor displays "No
    <> > Signal" and goes blank. I am assuming there is a conflicting driver or
    <> > the wrong driver all together. Any idea how to go about fixing this?
    <> >
    <> > Thanks in advance.
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> > "Katie Skibinski" wrote:
    <> >
    <> >> New Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64
    Edition
    <> >>
    <> >> Columnist Charlie Russel answers questions about Windows XP
    Professional
    <> >> x64 Edition that have appeared frequently in the new (and very active)
    <> >> Microsoft Windows 64-bit Newsgroup.
    <> >>
    <> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx
    <> >>
    <> >> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
    <> >>
    <> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <> >> rights.
    <> >>
    <> >> --
    <> >> Katie Skibinski
    <> >> Site Manager, vendor [MS]
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 26, 2005

  3. Can I run Windows XP Professional X64 Edition on my Intel Pentium4 3.2G laptop?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=, Oct 28, 2005
  4. No way to tell from that description. Intel doesn't make it easy. :(

    The best way to find out what processor you have, and what its
    specifications are, is to use the Intel Processor Identification Utility,
    available from the Intel site:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 29, 2005
  5. I can not install Windows x64 using the .ISO file downloaded from Microsoft's
    website. When I boot from the cd I am taken to the D.O.S. screen and left in
    drive A:\ as if I were trying to boot an O/S from drive A:\. I tried using
    isobuster to covert to user data and access the files and it works, however,
    only while in windows. The BIOS configuration is correct. I can boot with
    other O/S's just fine. Any suggestions? I can not order an original cd
    since Microsoft does not ship to U.S. addresses in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico)

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=, Nov 21, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to get to know Andre's aunt. ;-)

    John Barnes, Nov 21, 2005
  7. You need to burn the ISO as an image, not copy it to the CD.
    For excellent instructions on how to write an ISO file to a CD correctly, I
    recommend:
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    Thanks. Will try that.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    Hello Charlie,

    The .ISO file was successfully burned, now I have another problem. The
    product key issued by Microsoft for the trial version of x64 does not work.
    I have verified the key atleast 10 times and nothing. Where can I get
    another working license?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmFm?=, Nov 23, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64E

    Just go back and register again for the Trial. MS will then send you
    another key.

    Rick, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    Just re-register for the trial. You'll get another key.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2005
  12. Windows XP Pro x64 running slower than 32 bit XP

    I recently got my hands on x64 from Microsoft, Which I am very pleased to
    finally own. After instillation I have noticed that it runs much slower than
    my 32 bit XP OS. I go back and forth between the 2 OS's to see the
    differences. I have X64 on its own IDE drive 40gigs, and I have 3 gigs of
    ram, and AMD64 3500+, and a ATI 850xt. but it is running What I feel slower
    than it should be. I updated drivers from AMD, downloaded service packs from
    you, and increased my paging file size to 12606 MB. Is there something I am
    doing wrong or is it installed wrong. should I reinstall it??? Also I will
    not use x64 to surf the internet till I can get my hands on some antivirus
    and spyware protection tools which support it. I know I am a little in front
    of the technology curve right now but I have been so excited to step into the
    64 bit realm and feel a little disappointed that 32 bit operation is still
    better for me right now. please help or advise what I can or should do to
    make my 64 bit experience more enjoyable and worthwhile.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhdW4gTWFydmlu?=, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Re: Windows XP Pro x64 running slower than 32 bit XP

    Hmm, maybe you need to run memtest86 to check if any of your memory modules
    are defective.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 13, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?=

    TMcHardy Guest

    Re: Windows XP Pro x64 running slower than 32 bit XP

    Re-reading your post, you're sure it might not be that 40G drive you
    installed XP64 too? I assume you put it in as a test. I'd make sure the
    drive itself was in good shape before even bothering to continue. It's kind
    of small given that you have a 12G page file! I can't even begin to tell
    you the performance I gained by switching to SATA (And the drive was only $5
    more!).

    The 64-bit version in itself should not run any slower. In fact, you
    shouldn't really see any difference at all until you start running apps.
    Then it's a toss-up. I'll sum up for you a lot of posts I've read in here
    and my experiences in general. (And remember, my "personal" comparisons are
    from Win2k to XP64, I didn't have XP32).

    Hardware:
    You're going to get hosed on a few specific pieces of hardware. Scanners
    are a good example. I have not read very many success stories on Scanners
    and the manufacturers sure aren't responsive. Apparently printers are
    fairly bad too, but I must have lucked out in that area. Fortunately, for
    most basic hardware such as HD Controllers and Vid Cards, the manufacturers
    have started to catch up. I can now actually run my OS which I couldn't do
    when it was still in Beta due to lack of driver support.

    Basic operations:
    You should notice things running pretty much the same as long as you're
    running the 64-bit versions of things. I've had no luck with IE64 and am
    using FireFox64 instead (it's a beta though). Basic hardware access seems a
    bit faster, but that might just be the diff between 2k and XP, and not
    between 32-bit and 64-bit. However, you're going to have a problem when it
    comes to installing some of the "basic utilities".

    Archivers - I think you're pretty safe with this one. WinRAR seems fine,
    and I assume WinZip is too.

    Firewall - Here's your first big hit. There's nothing useful out there. The
    best you'll find is Windows Firewall. And I have to say, it doesn't fill me
    with confidence. There are some options you can try. A lot of people seem
    to use Tiny, but it's shareware and you'll end up having to pay for it.
    Given that it just didn't fit the bill for me, I let it expire and explored
    other options. I tried GhostWall. It's free. But it's limited
    functionallity makes it next to useless. I also contacted Symantec to ask if
    they had any plans to have a 64-bit version of IS. They gave me a very
    non-commital answer that basically said no, and now that their next version
    is out without it, I wouldn't hold my breath. Same goes for McAffee. So in
    the firewall arena, you pretty much screwed unless you have a firewall
    outside the box.

    Sidebar... (I'm going to make a personal comment in this area. You are NOT
    ahead of the technology at this point. I was playing with the XP64 beta well
    over a year ago. 64-bit versions of Linux have been around for at least
    that long. And I don't even know when the Itanium was out since I don't
    really follow that stuff. But I find it extremely disappointing that all
    the vendors say "Oh it's too new" for something that is well over a year
    old! New OSes are already being developed and this one isn't even fully
    supported yet. By everything I've read in posts, people are SHOUTING for
    64-bit support and the companies for some reason won't support it. Hell, I
    can't even buy a 64-bit PC that doesn't come with a 32-bit OS unless I pay
    extra to get that 64-bit OS on there! That's just freakin' ridiculous! So
    every time I hear that 64-bit OSes are too new to be supported I laugh at
    these people. Hell, as it is, Symantec has lost me as a loyal customer of
    their antivirus software just because I've had to find an alternative while
    running in a 64-bit environment and they aren't willing to commit to a
    64-bit release. They lost me not because they're product isn't any good
    (and I'm not arguing this point so don't even start on it), but because they
    won't even enter the Arena of 64-bit. And IF they ever do, I'll have been
    using my current software for so long I'll have no reason to go through the
    hassle of switching back! --Sorry, but the rant had to get out.)

    Antivirus - Again, here was an area where I contacted the big companies to
    ask about what's upcoming, and got the same disappointing responses.
    However, on the advice of a lot of these posts, I tried a couple others.
    And I have to say, Avast is working out pretty well for me. As for the
    spyware part of it, I still run Adaware. I don't know how "64-bit aware" it
    is, but it definately seems to work.

    DVR - Hey, Nero still works. ;-)

    Applications:
    And here's where you're going to get hit. (And probably where you're finding
    most of your speed differences). 32-bit apps WILL run slightly slower in
    XP64. But only slightly. I found the hit to be so negligable I didn't even
    worry about it. What's funny, is that in a few cases I found that some
    things actually ran faster. For instance, games (yes, that's what a
    computer's for isn't it. ;-) ) that do a lot of video rendering I found ran
    a little smoother on XP64. Again, not sure if it's because of 2k/xp or
    those 64-bit drivers being installed. The load times were still slower, but
    once it was up and running... The main point here is to make sure that your
    core apps are 64-bit. I explained Firefox64 above. 32-bit browsers were
    PAINFULLY slow for me in XP64. So make sure the stuff that you NEED to do
    is 64-bit. Don't build a foundation on sand.

    What you should do if things aren't working just right:
    Make sure you have the best driver for your system. I found that the newest
    driver is not always the best. In the case of my HDD Controller I found
    that the newest (at the time I installed it) didn't even work on my system!
    You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure that one out given that I
    had to have a stack of floppy's to do that silly F6 thing from Floppy on
    install.
    In your case I would definately ensure that your HDD, Vid Card, and Memory
    are good. Also make sure you have proper drivers for these things. I'll
    give another good example of this. I use an ASUS NVidia card. I kept on
    trying to use the drivers from ASUS and was getting VERY poor performance,
    graphics corruption, etc. As soon as I downloaded the lastest from NVidia
    instead, all my problems went away.
    Now the problem is identifying which drivers to use (if it's not a hardware
    problem) once you find out your problem area (HDD Access, Memory, Video,
    even Mobo). My suggestion for this: PlanetAMD64. I've got really quick

    TMcHardy, Dec 13, 2005
  15. Re: Windows XP Pro x64 running slower than 32 bit XP

    That's a nice overview. I'll make a coupla comments:

    Re: Scanners and printers. There are a number of good scanners out there,
    particularly the Epsons, that have 64 bit drivers. I'm using an Epson 3170
    and it works great, and not too costly. There are also a lot of printers
    that are supported out of the box (Brother e.g.) Many more aren't, although
    there are workaraounds if you can find a similar printer drvicer from the
    same manufacturer. How this affects you depends on how much you expect from
    your printers.

    Regarding HDs. I made my last build all SCSI. While SCSI drives still are
    relatively costly, if you're willing to shop around, you can get a 15K U160
    36G SCSI drive and controller (I use LSI) for under $100. These work great
    with XP 64 bit, and if you put the OS on that you won't have any issues with
    SATA drivers, F6, etc. Fast, easy to set up and generally better built than
    ATA drives. Of course, I'm an Ebay hound; if you pay retail, it'll be a
    bunch more. So far I've had good success with snatching what I need from
    auctions.

    You're right on the puzzling lack of manufacturer support. We have 5 Xante
    printers in use that cost us over $10K. When I first queried Xante in
    October about 64 bit drivers, I was told that since XP 64 bit had "only"
    been out for 6 months, driver development was still in the early stages.
    Then they sent me a purported 64 bit driver that turned out to be a 32 bit
    driver dated July 2004. It's been another month and nothing else has
    arrived. They must be feverishly working around the clock to crack the
    mystery of the 64 bit driver. I wish them luck...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 15, 2005
  16. Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 E

    Hello
    I'm haveing a fit trying to install SI3114 Raid driver at the F6 promt.
    I have installed every driver under the sun and none seem to work! I get the
    same basic errors. File\ext64\si3114r.sys caused error (18) at line 2335 in
    d:\srvrtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
    or File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error(512) at line 1896 in d:\
    "" "" "" ""
    mMy mobo is a Chaintech znf3-250 onboard si3114 raid controller dual segate
    SATA 80GB drives 1gb corseair xms memory.
    I have no IDE drives installed in the system. I have no problem with the old
    XP finding the raid array .

    I have the latest Bios installed and even tried Sillicone Images latest 64
    bit drive to no efecct!

    Has anyone else had this problem? If you know of a fix for this please help
    me out.
    Thanks.
    Visuvious

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlzdXZpb3Vz?=, Jan 16, 2006
  17. Software

    Will software designed for 32 bit windows operateing system work with the 64
    bit operateing system?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHlzU3lzdGVtcw==?=, Feb 9, 2006
  18. Re: Software

    The majority will, but certain 32-bit applications were developed with
    16-bit installers and uninstallers which are not supported by Windows XP
    Professional x64. So its recommended you contact the vendor of the software
    to ensure it has a 32 bit installer and uninstaller and if there are any
    known issues with Windows XP x64.

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 9, 2006
  19. Re: Software

    Most will, and will work well. But programs which depend on drivers will
    require updated drivers before they will work (things like disk utilities,
    Anti-Virus, some device specific programs. ) The other area where you'll
    have problems are programs that have a 16 bit installer.

    May I suggest you start with the general overview here? I think it will
    help.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/29/77166.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2006
  20. Re: Software

    Thankyou! I am excited about trying the windows 64 bit trial edition.If my
    intenet software works the first thing I will do is get the beta explorer 7
    and the Beta msn.Then I will try to get the 2.0 Net framework and the Win
    Fx,and the free trials of Visual Studio.I love microsoft products.Do you
    think microsoft will ever get into Automonic software applications?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHlzU3lzdGVtcw==?=, Feb 9, 2006