Columbia TriStar Botching TV Shows on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by eb, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. eb

    eb Guest

    As soon as Soap, on DVD came out, I was enthusiastic about receiving
    complete, unedited episodes, even to the point of excusing the absence
    of extras.

    I was wrong. As discussed on the Yahoo Soap Group, a comparison of the
    DVD episodes with the complete, unedited episodes on the Columbia
    House videotapes shows that 4 DVD episodes are edited:

    Episode 2 - Edits out Jody singing "There's Nothing Like a Dame" and
    the tune the Godfather hums after Danny leaves the sauna.

    Episodes 16 and 17 are the syndicated versions, each missing 2 and 1/2
    minutes from the complete episodes.

    Episode 19 deletes the "On the last episode on Soap" intro.

    It should be noted that Columbia TriStar also puts out Sanford and Son
    on DVD, and that a second season DVD episode of Sanford and Son,
    "Blood is thicker than Junk" incredibly edits out 2 and 1/2 minutes
    which appear on the syndicated version.

    All of this, of course, is not important in light of what's happening
    in the world, but it does show extrememe sloppiness and lack of care
    by Columbia TriStar.

    eb, Nov 10, 2003

  2. eb

    JohnW248 Guest

    In article <>,
    (eb) writes:

    >Episode 2 - Edits out Jody singing "There's Nothing Like a Dame" and
    >the tune the Godfather hums after Danny leaves the sauna.

    Don't know about the rest, but this sounds like a classic RHC licensing
    problem. Those songs ain't cheap and they're pretty fussy about how they're
    presented. If there was a mistake in the lyric, the might have refused to renew
    the home video license. Music was/is normally offered on 7 years licenses so
    what you got before might not be what you get today.

    John

    JohnW248, Nov 10, 2003