Columbia House code -- 5 DVDs 49 cents free shipping

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    For those who might be waiting for a decent deal from Columbia
    House, this looks like it. This week's TV Guide (Dec 27-Jan 2) has
    several pages at the back of a Columbia House ad.

    Total commitment is 10 DVDs. The first 5 are 49 cents no S&H, but
    you can buy two more at the same time for a total of $27.35 no S&H.
    The remaining 3 will be at least $19.95 plus S&H.

    The code is 2ZHD, and the ad encourages you to phone 1-888-CHC-DVDs
    or visit the web site http://columbiahouse.com with that code for
    more selections. I have no idea how long it's good.

    Disclaimer: I had a CH membership a couple of years ago. I
    scrupulously observed the offer in 2002 and had no problems at all
    with ending after I fulfilled it. Your mileage may vary, and in any
    event you should carefully check all terms and conditions before
    signing up.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > For those who might be waiting for a decent deal from Columbia
    > House, this looks like it. This week's TV Guide (Dec 27-Jan 2) has
    > several pages at the back of a Columbia House ad.
    >
    > Total commitment is 10 DVDs. The first 5 are 49 cents no S&H, but
    > you can buy two more at the same time for a total of $27.35 no S&H.
    > The remaining 3 will be at least $19.95 plus S&H.
    >
    > The code is 2ZHD, and the ad encourages you to phone 1-888-CHC-DVDs
    > or visit the web site http://columbiahouse.com with that code for
    > more selections. I have no idea how long it's good.
    >
    > Disclaimer: I had a CH membership a couple of years ago. I
    > scrupulously observed the offer in 2002 and had no problems at all
    > with ending after I fulfilled it. Your mileage may vary, and in any
    > event you should carefully check all terms and conditions before
    > signing up.

    I joined here in Canada at the end of November (I just got a DVD
    player in October, so the offer was especially tempting to get
    some at a low price).

    That offer you quote doesn't seem all that great, since it's about
    what we get offered here in Canada. The big difference is that the
    offers I've seen here don't offer free S&H for the initial "freebies",
    though there is a reduced S&H per DVD in the enrollment package.

    I almost didn't notice, but they did send a slightly better offer
    directly to me. I'm a member of the CD club, and they do send
    separate mailings offering me a chance to join the various other
    clubs. And the mailing I responded to knocked a few dollars
    off the two "bonus" DVDs. This is compared to the insert that
    comes with the CD club mailing. I can't say I've noticed a Canadian
    DVD club ad recently.

    One difference I notice is that the commitment you quote is for
    three DVDs. I only have to buy 2 DVDs within 2 years. I suspect
    that's where the "free" S&H that you mention comes from.

    With the CD club, when you quite the "we want you back" offers
    do tend to be better than the offers in the ads, so I look forward
    to seeing how that works with the DVD club. Every time I've quit
    the CD club, the "come back" offer has been no S&H, one or two
    more CDs and a smaller commitment than the ads.

    One thing I was disappointed about when joining was that there
    seemed, at least not in Canada, to be no way to browse the entire
    catalog before joining. They had a fixed selection of what you
    could take for the enrollment, and that's all you could see. Though,
    once I got the first mailing, it was clear that there was a lot more
    I could have ordered (and might have preferred) for my enrollment
    DVDs.

    And of course, it's also not as great a deal as the CD club. For
    much of the four years I've been a CD club member (in and out),
    "buy 1, get 2 free" offers have been fairly regular, right from
    the moment I joined. Even with S&H, that tends to be a good deal
    per CD.

    But the first DVD offer was buy a second one at -40% which is
    less appealing. Actually, it's more that the savings work better
    if you are willing to buy a bunch of DVDs at a time, because then
    the cost of the full price DVD is amortized over the full purchase
    (and they do a better discount on S&H the more you buy). But if I'm
    not prepared to pay a larger amount at one time, the savings are
    less significant than with the CD club.

    As with the CD club, it pays to pay attention. If you can get a
    DVD for ten dollars at a local store, then that DVD is not likely
    to be a good choice from the DVD club.

    They have some deal to keep you in once you've bought off your
    commitment, but while it's clear how it works, they do not
    explain how the points accumulate to get those additional savings.

    I'm less excited about the DVD club than the CD club, though as
    someone with only a handful of DVDs (and those mostly from my
    enrollment package) getting the flyer is actually a good experience
    in seeing what's available on DVD and the various prices.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, "Michael Black" wrote:
    >With the CD club, when you quite the "we want you back" offers
    >do tend to be better than the offers in the ads, so I look forward
    >to seeing how that works with the DVD club.

    I quit the DVD club about a year and a half ago, and have never once
    received a "come back" offer. I had been expecting them, actually!
    :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Jan 5, 2004