    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Peter Jenkins

    Rob S Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
    > something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
    > multifunction
    >
    > Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter Jenkins
    > see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    PC World did a buyers guide ( http://tinyurl.com/yrgja4 ) not long ago,
    but it's very general, not reviewing any particular printers. I thought
    they did a review/comparison of 1/2 dozen machines, but it may have been
    PC Authority (My brother's mags, so I can't check).

    The PC World article will help you avoid some of the pitfalls in buying
    cheap colour lasers.

    Cheers
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
    Rob S, Dec 19, 2007

  3. Peter Jenkins

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Jenkins <> wrote in news:a36a6c12-01b8-4c61-
    :

    > (must fit in a 28cm high space)

    Probably not going to happen, but maybe a small brother will be low
    profile. Most are a bit higher and shorter.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Peter Jenkins

    ChrisB Guest

    I doubt you'll find one that low - even if you do a lot of them eject
    the paper to the top. I'm on my second colour laser - the first a
    Konica-Minolta 2500W started jamming after 3 years of service. I'm now
    using a Canon LBP5000 and find it faster and quieter. I'm fairly sure
    it's higher than 28cm though, and it ejects to the top.

    ChrisB, Dec 20, 2007
  5. My colour laser printer (was: Re: Colour Lasers)

    I don't think this will meet the OP's requirements (hence the subject change)
    but I recently got a colour laser printer and m hap-hap-happy with it.

    What I want in a printer:
    * Networkable
    * Hold a ream (500 sheets) of paper
    * Postscript
    * reasonable per page printing costs
    * a preference for laser
    * fast

    We have a Lexmark Optra T614 that does most of that. It needs a new fuser
    though (which I have, but it's a project to swap it so it hasn't happened
    yet).

    Additionally it would be nice to tack on to the above:
    * Colour
    * Photo printing

    Added from the Optra experience
    * Easy changing of those parts that are actually consumables (eg fuser)

    What I got: A Xerox Phaser 6250 - was $320 off Craigslist.
    * 26 pages per minute in full color / 26 ppm in black
    * 700 MHz PowerPC processor
    * Maximum resolution 2400 dpi
    * First page drops in the output tray in less than 12 seconds
    * True Adobe Postscript (137 fonts), PCL5c (81 fonts)
    * Maximum duty cycle up to 100,000 pages per month

    80lbs/36kgs of printing goodness! Which meets one of my general criteria
    for kit - I have to be able to carry it myself. After having a Sun
    E450 that lived down a set of stairs....

    Since purchase I have stocked up on an imageing unit, a transfer roller
    and a fuser off eBay, on the theory buying them at less than retail before
    I need them would save me money in the long run over having an item
    die and having to pay retail. As I don't know the real history of the unit
    I figured all the consumables were suspect. The fuser died the day the
    replacement arrived - kinda confirmed my plan :).

    Fast. Oh my fast :). Photos print out nice just on the enhanced print
    setting (which is the default setting I have it on) and really nice on
    the photo setting. Network stacks include APP, LPR, LP, SMB, Netware.
    Management software is amazing. It's really nice.

    Cheers, Liam
    Liam Greenwood, Dec 26, 2007
  6. On Dec 21, 10:01 am, ChrisB <> wrote:
    > I doubt you'll find one that low - even if you do a lot of them eject
    > the paper to the top. I'm on my second colour laser - the first a
    > Konica-Minolta 2500W started jamming after 3 years of service. I'm now
    > using a Canon LBP5000 and find it faster and quieter. I'm fairly sure
    > it's higher than 28cm though, and it ejects to the top.
    >
    > Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > > I am in the market for a low end colour laser printer, preferably
    > > something not too big (must fit in a 28cm high space) so it won't be a
    > > multifunction

    > > Any recommendations, brands to buy or avoid?

    > > Regards
    > > Peter Jenkins
    > > seehttp://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    I ended up getting a Samsung CLP300

    It fits and does what I want, very nice little printer.

    Not the fastest thing in the world, but nice output, and I dont print
    vast quantities, just the odd document and smaps page for Trade Me
    pickups (for which the colour enhances readability greatly)

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Peter Jenkins

    Rob S Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:

    > I ended up getting a Samsung CLP300
    >
    > It fits and does what I want, very nice little printer.
    >
    > Not the fastest thing in the world, but nice output, and I dont print
    > vast quantities, just the odd document and smaps page for Trade Me
    > pickups (for which the colour enhances readability greatly)

    At the size (Net Dimension (WxDxH): 390 x 344 x 265 mm ) and price it
    looks like a nice little printer. Reviews are good and it seems fairly
    inexpensive to run, though if you end up doing a lot of printing you
    might get teed off replace the toner cartridges. 2000 pages for black
    and 1000 for colour. Otherwise it looks like a good choice for your needs.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics because of this element of
    chance and uncertainty. He said: God does not play dice. It seems that
    Einstein was doubly wrong. The quantum effects of black holes suggests
    that not only does God play dice, He sometimes throws them where they
    cannot be seen. - Steven Hawking
    Rob S, Dec 29, 2007