    drum" treatment as appropriate?

    Regards

    Ron McNulty
    Ron McNulty, Aug 8, 2004

  2. In article <1jmRc.10571$>,
    says...
    > Hi All
    >
    > There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    > Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    > 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
    >
    > My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers? For
    > instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
    > monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
    > drum" treatment as appropriate?

    Have used a Ricoh Aficio colour laser.

    In the drivers, you can set them to print in either B&W or colour. Set
    B&W as the default and select colour only when you actually want to print
    in colour, if it's the only printer you have, you won't want to print
    everthing in colour.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 8, 2004

  3. In article <1jmRc.10571$>,
    says...
    > Hi All
    >
    > There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    > Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    > 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
    >
    > My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers? For
    > instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
    > monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
    > drum" treatment as appropriate?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron McNulty
    >
    >I think you'll find that they talk about a carousel containing four

    toners - the imaging drum is another part altogether. I believe if you
    told it to print the page in black and black happens to be in thr right
    position already it wouldn't bother to spin the carousel around.

    Having said that, they use up more consumble parts (imaging drum and
    transfer kits etc) that black laser printers, so using them to print
    black can be expensive...
    wogers nemesis, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Ron McNulty

    Harry Guest

    Ron McNulty wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    > Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    > 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
    >
    > My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers?
    > For instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour
    > or monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
    > drum" treatment as appropriate?

    Does it matter? If it goes "round the drum" and no toner is deposited
    then what does it matter?

    You can control whether it is treated as color in software printing options.
    Harry, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Ron McNulty

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:26:07 +1200, "Ron McNulty"
    <> wrote:

    >There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    >Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    >29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100

    The Brother one is slow, assuming the HL2700cn.

    Well, it's not crap in the print quality department, which is
    surprisingly good, but it's crap in that it takes forever for the
    first page to print. Whatever the specs say, it will take a good 3
    minutes for the first colour page to actually rear it's head, which is
    a really long time to sit there looking at it.

    8ppm colour is just not right in the real world - whatever the specs
    say.

    We bought one at work, and are looking at selling it and getting a
    faster one. It doesn't get used much, probably at most had a couple of
    hundred pages, but may be interested in selling it for a hundred or so
    off the new price, with full warranty etc, if you're interested (maybe
    a month old tops).

    Freight is the issue of course. They're bloody heavy, and we're in
    Dunedin.
    Gurble, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Ron McNulty

    Philip Roy Guest

    If it's of any interest to you, I had a quick glimpse at Consumer
    Magazine recently. Can't remember the model number, but the HP color
    laser was one of their "recommended".

    Phil

    --
    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi
    Philip Roy, Aug 8, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:26:07 +1200, "Ron McNulty"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    > >Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    > >29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100

    > The Brother one is slow, assuming the HL2700cn.
    >
    > Well, it's not crap in the print quality department, which is
    > surprisingly good, but it's crap in that it takes forever for the
    > first page to print. Whatever the specs say, it will take a good 3
    > minutes for the first colour page to actually rear it's head, which is
    > a really long time to sit there looking at it.

    The Ricoh 206 takes 5 minutes to come up off standby to printing.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 9, 2004
  8. Ron McNulty

    bottom Guest

    "Ron McNulty" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > There are a swag of colour lasers coming on the market at around $1,000.
    > Epson, HP and Brother are all represented, with a Brother machine offering
    > 29ppm in black and 8ppm in colour for under $1,100
    >
    > My question is, has anyone had practical experience with such printers?

    For
    > instance, are they intelligent enough to realise a page is in colour or
    > monochrome, and give it the "once round the drum" or "4 times round the
    > drum" treatment as appropriate?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron McNulty

    My new Oki 5300 is fast and reliable so far.
    bottom, Aug 9, 2004
  9. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Speed, mate - or rather the lack of it. They all seem to print 4x faster in
    black

    Also, many a document consists of a colour title page followed by mono
    pages. It they are all printed in "colour" it will be pretty slow.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 9, 2004
  10. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Yes it was the 2700cn I was looking at.

    Are you running it on its Ethernet port?

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 9, 2004
  11. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Thanks for that. I am interested in what happens if the first page is
    colour, and the next 20 are black? Will I get 8ppm or 29ppm on the black
    pages?

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Aug 9, 2004