    and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    indicative references shots.

    Len
    Len, Nov 21, 2003

  2. > I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of

    using
    > inkjets.
    >
    > Whilst I will always need to have an inkjet in my business for the higher
    > quality printing needed is there any type of laser printer that would
    > produce colour photos.
    >
    > I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x 6cm
    > and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    > indicative references shots.
    >
    > Len

    Hi Len,

    I too have been interested for a while in a colour laser that will do a
    reasonably good job of photos. I want to print digitally produced wedding
    collages/pages in addition to the main photographs I supply to couples.
    Haven't made a choice yet, but I did get a sample print sent to me from the
    epson website from a C900 (very reasonable priced). Naturally they wouldn't
    give me anything with skin tones in it, which often suffer most from poor
    printing. Nevertheless I did find the overall quality quite good. Clearly
    not full photographic quality, but not too horrible either.

    If you find anything good, do let us know.

    Martin
    Martin Bishop, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Len

    Len Guest

    "Martin Bishop" <> wrote in message

    > > I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of

    > using
    > > inkjets.
    > >
    > > Whilst I will always need to have an inkjet in my business for the

    higher
    > > quality printing needed is there any type of laser printer that would
    > > produce colour photos.
    > >
    > > I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x

    6cm
    > > and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    > > indicative references shots.
    > >
    > > Len
    > >

    > Hi Len,
    >
    > I too have been interested for a while in a colour laser that will do a
    > reasonably good job of photos. I want to print digitally produced wedding
    > collages/pages in addition to the main photographs I supply to couples.
    > Haven't made a choice yet, but I did get a sample print sent to me from

    the
    > epson website from a C900 (very reasonable priced). Naturally they

    wouldn't
    > give me anything with skin tones in it, which often suffer most from poor
    > printing. Nevertheless I did find the overall quality quite good. Clearly
    > not full photographic quality, but not too horrible either.
    >
    > If you find anything good, do let us know.
    >

    > Martin

    I have been waiting two weeks for Xerox to send me literature on their
    colour phaser printers. Chased today on the phone and they inform me that
    local network of estate agents has just bought a machine for each of their
    30+ office network. Tomorrow I will go in one of the offices to see if I can
    scrounge samples and let you know.

    Len
    Len, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Len

    George Guest

    All the color laser printers I've ever seen didn't do a very good job on
    digital photos as the number of colors was too few. The best I've seen are
    dye sublimation printers...Kodak has one that B&H sells for about $900.
    Count on material cost setting you back somewhere around $2.50 per 8x10
    print. (About $150 for the ribbon and $100 for the paper for 100 prints.)

    George, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Hi Len

    If you don't need the quality that an Epson or Canon photo printer
    produces, there are lasers that may suffice. Sounds like that'd
    work for your purposes.

    There's a guy nom-de-plumed Elmo P. Shagnasty (real name:
    Richard Garvey) , a frequent poster on the comp.periphs.printers
    newsgroup, who's pointed out that there are $50,000 and $200,000
    color laser printers that he thinks do a nice job on photos. Google newgroups
    for color lasers and you'll see some threads on the subject.

    I suggest sending away to the manufacturers for samples. That way you
    won't be too surprised.

    I use a color laser myself for printing out posters on 13" x 19" paper,
    but, although it was the highest-rated for image-making a few years
    back by some (misguided?) reviewers (Minolta QMS 330) ,
    it sucks compared to my Epson Stylus Photo printers.

    Regards,

    Stan Krute
    Stanley Krute, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Len

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <3fbe1e15$0$12711$>,
    says...

    >I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of using
    >inkjets.
    >
    >Whilst I will always need to have an inkjet in my business for the higher
    >quality printing needed is there any type of laser printer that would
    >produce colour photos.
    >
    >I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x 6cm
    >and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    >indicative references shots.
    >
    >Len

    You can try the Tektronix (xerox) color lasers for about $2K or wait for the
    Epson 4000 which uses the large format Epson inks. Ink use costs about 1/4
    that of desk top printers est cost $1800.

    Tom
    Tom Monego, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Len

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:18:59 -0000, "Len" <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >"Martin Bishop" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of

    >> using
    >> > inkjets.
    >> >
    >> > Whilst I will always need to have an inkjet in my business for the

    >higher
    >> > quality printing needed is there any type of laser printer that would
    >> > produce colour photos.
    >> >
    >> > I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x

    >6cm
    >> > and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    >> > indicative references shots.
    >> >
    >> > Len
    >> >

    >> Hi Len,
    >>
    >> I too have been interested for a while in a colour laser that will do a
    >> reasonably good job of photos. I want to print digitally produced wedding
    >> collages/pages in addition to the main photographs I supply to couples.
    >> Haven't made a choice yet, but I did get a sample print sent to me from

    >the
    >> epson website from a C900 (very reasonable priced). Naturally they

    >wouldn't
    >> give me anything with skin tones in it, which often suffer most from poor
    >> printing. Nevertheless I did find the overall quality quite good. Clearly
    >> not full photographic quality, but not too horrible either.
    >>
    >> If you find anything good, do let us know.
    >>

    >> Martin

    >I have been waiting two weeks for Xerox to send me literature on their
    >colour phaser printers. Chased today on the phone and they inform me that
    >local network of estate agents has just bought a machine for each of their
    >30+ office network. Tomorrow I will go in one of the offices to see if I can
    >scrounge samples and let you know.
    >
    >Len

    Be aware that there are two types of "Phaser" printers. True laser
    (toner) and 'solid ink' type.

    The latter gives better imagery, but is less permanent.
    J. A. Mc., Nov 22, 2003
  8. Len

    Len Guest

    "Stanley Krute" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Len
    >
    > If you don't need the quality that an Epson or Canon photo printer
    > produces, there are lasers that may suffice. Sounds like that'd
    > work for your purposes.
    >
    > There's a guy nom-de-plumed Elmo P. Shagnasty (real name:
    > Richard Garvey) , a frequent poster on the comp.periphs.printers
    > newsgroup, who's pointed out that there are $50,000 and $200,000
    > color laser printers that he thinks do a nice job on photos. Google

    newgroups
    > for color lasers and you'll see some threads on the subject.
    >
    > I suggest sending away to the manufacturers for samples. That way you
    > won't be too surprised.
    >
    > I use a color laser myself for printing out posters on 13" x 19" paper,
    > but, although it was the highest-rated for image-making a few years
    > back by some (misguided?) reviewers (Minolta QMS 330) ,
    > it sucks compared to my Epson Stylus Photo printers.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Stan Krute

    Hi Stan

    Thanks for tips. I have phoned all main manufacturers for info and sample
    prints but so far only half replied and only two sets of sample prints. Rang
    Xerox for the third time yesterday and they have no knowledge of my two past
    requests over several weeks. They are not making it easy.

    Len
    Len, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Hi Len

    > I have phoned all main manufacturers for info and sample
    > prints but so far only half replied and only two sets of sample prints. Rang
    > Xerox for the third time yesterday and they have no knowledge of my two past
    > requests over several weeks. They are not making it easy.

    Funny. You'd think they don't have products they'd like
    to sell.

    You should be able to get samples if you visit some stores
    in your area that carry the printers, if there are any.

    Unfortunately, most of those samples will be canned shmootz.
    It'd be lovely if stores'd set up their printers on a network and
    let potential customers bring in test images on CD to feed
    to the printers ... but then again, that's assuming they'd like
    to SELL printers. A few high-end stores may do it ... but not
    a lot, I imagine.

    Best,

    Stan
    Stanley Krute, Nov 22, 2003
  10. Len

    Ray R Guest

    "Len" <> wrote in message
    > I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of using
    > inkjets.

    I have a Canon I850. With bulk ink refill it costs me $.02 per full page color
    photograph for the ink. How cheap are you looking for?
    Ray R, Nov 23, 2003
  11. Len

    Len Guest

    "Ray R" <> wrote in message

    > "Len" <> wrote in message
    > > I need to get a new printer and am sick of the very very high costs of

    using
    > > inkjets.
    > >

    > I have a Canon I850. With bulk ink refill it costs me $.02 per full page

    color
    > photograph for the ink. How cheap are you looking for?

    Doubt the Ink jet would do the job even if it had same page cost. My
    printing starts at 5.00 pm and has to be done to get in post box for 6.00 pm
    and speed of printing, including drying time, a major factor. I have tried
    on a top end HP for odd jobs but need the instant dry page out technology
    and good speed in colour.
    Len, Nov 23, 2003
  12. In article <3fbe1e15$0$12711$>,
    Len says...

    > I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x 6cm
    > and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    > indicative references shots.

    That should do. The Minolta QMS 2350N network interface
    printer with true Postscript level 3 delivers pretty
    good quality that is excellent for contact sheets an
    references. It is not like laser output to real RA-4
    photo paper on a frontier, though, and many inkjets do
    better. But also many inkjets do worse, and all of them
    are sluggish in comparison. Plus lasers are much more
    lightfast and waterproof.

    Since I have the 2350N all my various inkjet printers
    are out of business, the QMS is enough for previews,
    layouts and many other purposes, and if I need real
    quality it will be Frontier output.

    --
    Michael Quack <>

    http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
    http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm
    Michael Quack, Nov 24, 2003
  13. Len

    Len Guest

    "Michael Quack" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fbe1e15$0$12711$>,
    > Len says...
    >
    > > I do 10/12 shots, over three side of A4, each shot approximately 9cm x

    6cm
    > > and print out 50/100 per week and need not be high quality but more
    > > indicative references shots.

    > That should do. The Minolta QMS 2350N network interface
    > printer with true Postscript level 3 delivers pretty
    > good quality that is excellent for contact sheets an
    > references. It is not like laser output to real RA-4
    > photo paper on a frontier, though, and many inkjets do
    > better. But also many inkjets do worse, and all of them
    > are sluggish in comparison. Plus lasers are much more
    > lightfast and waterproof.
    >
    > Since I have the 2350N all my various inkjet printers
    > are out of business, the QMS is enough for previews,
    > layouts and many other purposes, and if I need real
    > quality it will be Frontier output.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Quack <>

    Michael

    Thanks for that. It seems silly that I am in the market to buy and the
    manufacturers have such a poor service when it comes to addressing my
    request for literature and sample prints.

    Len
    Len, Nov 24, 2003
  14. Len

    Jim Gizzi Guest

    I'll second this opinion with a few caveats.

    Our QMS has (had) decent output. Should be at least as good now as ours is
    at least 4 years old. Very quick if you have the internal hard drive, and
    probably quicker still if you had the 100Mb network card.

    Be aware, however, that I've been told not to print photo output on the back
    side of photo output. Not sure why but as we did it routinely, with banding
    and streaking problems on the second side, our toner drum is now shot.
    Everything bands if it is heavy color coverage. It sounds as if you are
    talking about doing the same and it is something to ask about.

    Jim

    Jim Gizzi, Nov 24, 2003
  15. In article <3fc1c562$0$12692$>,
    Len says...

    (Minolta QMS 2350N)

    > Thanks for that. It seems silly that I am in the market to buy and the
    > manufacturers have such a poor service when it comes to addressing my
    > request for literature and sample prints.

    I can't complain, Minolta forwarded my telephonic request
    to a local dealer who called me only minutes after that.
    I sent him a test file that he printed and returned by
    postal service. Maybe just pack a CD with your test file
    and visit a local reseller.

    Michael Quack, Nov 25, 2003
  16. In article <>,
    Jim Gizzi says...

    > I'll second this opinion with a few caveats.
    >
    > Our QMS has (had) decent output. Should be at least
    > as good now as ours is at least 4 years old.

    That makes it almost historic, even more so considering
    that the new one does 16 bit color, which results in
    really visible improvements.

    > Very quick if you have the internal hard drive, and
    > probably quicker still if you had the 100Mb network card.

    The 2350N (N for network) has network interface built in.
    It also has Postscript Level III, which is not available in
    the non-network GDI printer version.

    > Be aware, however, that I've been told not to print
    > photo output on the back side of photo output.

    Haven't tried that, yet. Print one side only.

    Michael Quack, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Len

    > In article <3fc1c562$0$12692$>,
    > Len says...
    >
    > (Minolta QMS 2350N)
    >
    > > Thanks for that. It seems silly that I am in the market to buy and the
    > > manufacturers have such a poor service when it comes to addressing my
    > > request for literature and sample prints.

    > I can't complain, Minolta forwarded my telephonic request
    > to a local dealer who called me only minutes after that.
    > I sent him a test file that he printed and returned by
    > postal service. Maybe just pack a CD with your test file
    > and visit a local reseller.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Quack <>

    I have emailed, telephoned manufacturers direct, telephoned their re-sellers
    and despair. This could be a UK 'poor service' thing.

    Len
    Len, Nov 26, 2003
  18. Len

    Peter Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:36:38 -0000, Len wrote:

    > I have emailed, telephoned manufacturers direct, telephoned their re-sellers
    > and despair. This could be a UK 'poor service' thing.
    >
    > Len

    Len,

    If you are still struggling for print samples, I have Xerox's standard
    print samples and brochures I can send you out, we also have the Oki C5100n
    in our office so I can do you some print samples from this if you want.

    or use the email address from our website www.printerbase.co.uk if you want
    to send any files.

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 26, 2003