    if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt :)

    Any help much appreciated..!

    Worm
    Worm, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Worm

    Joseph Dew Guest

    Have a look at the ImageJ program here:

    http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/

    It is written in Java so can run on pretty much whatever platform you use.

    Let me know if you want some help on figuring out how to use it.

    Joseph

    Joseph Dew, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Worm

    Graham Guest

    Worm wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering if I can convert a colour coded map I have sourced off the
    > 'net, to data.
    >
    > Are there programs out there, that given a selected area of an image, can
    > tell you the percentage of each colour?
    >
    > I know it might sound like a far-off bet...but I can't find any sources of
    > *data*, just a really messy (and difficult to read onscreen, let alone
    > print!) map.
    >
    > The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indicators/land/ag/otago.html
    > if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt :)
    >
    > Any help much appreciated..!
    >
    > Worm

    This should get you what you want:

    Try converting to PPM format and then run ppmhist on it, if you are able.

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=fp-pull-web-t&p=ppmhist
    Graham, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Worm

    Graham Guest

    > > The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indicators/land/ag/otago.html
    > > if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt :)

    Btw, the image you linked to is a JPG which means it's got far more
    colours than you're really interested in (in part due to being lossy). You
    might want to first convert it to a relatively few colours first (DON'T
    use dithering though) and then process that result.

    Kinda technical and you might not be able to manage it. If not, get some
    know-it-all to do it for you. :)
    Graham, Jan 27, 2004