    my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    aaron, May 9, 2005

  2. On 9 May 2005 12:02:22 -0700, "aaron" <> wrote:

    >Looks like I am in need of software / (possible) hardware to calibrate
    >my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    >input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    >problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    Here is a review of it..

    http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/reviews/monitorcalibrator/index.php

    It's only worth the investment if you think it is but you would be
    better off spending 49.95 and learning the basics of color management
    so you would know what to do with it.

    Actual if you want the best for complete work flow color management
    you should look at these products.

    http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/

    "When a true genius appears in this world you may know
    him by the sign that the dunces are all in confederacy
    against him."

    Jonathan Swift
    1667-1745

    John A. Stovall, May 9, 2005

  3. aaron

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Aaron writes ...
    >
    >Any input / feedback on the Spyder 2.

    In addition to the Macworld link from John you might check this link
    with tests of several leading calibration kits ...
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/color_management/cm_08/essay.html

    >Is this the best solution for my problem.

    Most think it's one of the top three consumer grade kits (with Gretag's
    Eye-One and the Monaco version) ... exactly where it rates depends on
    who is doing the testing, as you'll see if you read both the articles.

    >Also, is it worth the investment?

    If you have Photoshop you should probably try Adobe Gamma first and if
    you are satisfied with the match you get then you've saved some money.
    The problem with Gamma is that several key measurements are done by
    eye-balling though and if you're critical about getting a good match
    you'll eventually get a colorimeter since they do a better job.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 9, 2005
  4. aaron

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    aaron says...
    > Looks like I am in need of software / (possible) hardware to calibrate
    > my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    > input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    > problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    I have it since yesterday and am still struggling to make it work (see
    my other thread "Monitor calibration help"). Not sure if the unit is
    defective or some settings I chose are wrong.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 9, 2005
  5. aaron

    Stacey Guest

    Stacey, May 9, 2005
  6. On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:43:27 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >aaron says...
    >> Looks like I am in need of software / (possible) hardware to calibrate
    >> my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    >> input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    >> problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    >I have it since yesterday and am still struggling to make it work (see
    >my other thread "Monitor calibration help"). Not sure if the unit is
    >defective or some settings I chose are wrong.

    What's the ambient light in the area where you are doing the
    calibration? Have you tried it in a completely dark or very low light
    room.

    John A. Stovall, May 9, 2005
  7. aaron

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John A. Stovall
    says...

    > What's the ambient light in the area where you are doing the
    > calibration? Have you tried it in a completely dark or very low light
    > room.

    I've done all calibration attempts in an almost totally dark room, with
    the LCD screen lying flat and the Spyder on it, so that no extern light
    could fall on it.

    Is there a forum or user group dedicated to the Spyder 2 ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 9, 2005
  8. aaron

    Roy Guest

    "aaron" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like I am in need of software / (possible) hardware to calibrate
    > my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    > input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    > problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    Not very helpfull, but it all depends.

    Are you using a Colour Managed workflow. With a Printer Profile specific to
    the Paper you are printing on?

    Does your Photo Imaging program allow you to see "Soft Proofs" on screen.
    If you can not preview a Soft Proof, you will not know what your print will
    look like.

    There is no way that any Print can be exactly the same as what you see on
    screen. One is viewed by reflected light, and the other by transmitted
    light.

    A Soft Proof will attempt to overcome that difference, and will also show
    the Colors which can not be printed (Out of Gamut colors) as your printer
    will actually print them.

    If you are doing all the above, and still not getting reasonably close
    prints, then it might well be worth investing in a Monitor Calibrator.

    If you are not running a Colour Managed Workflow, then a Calibrator will
    only be a waste of money.

    Roy G

    Roy, May 9, 2005
  9. aaron

    SamSez Guest

    "aaron" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like I am in need of software / (possible) hardware to calibrate
    > my monitor profile. (My photos just aren't matching my display) Any
    > input / feedback on the Spyder 2. Is this the best solution for my
    > problem. Also, is it worth the investment? Thanks

    You might consider the spyder2-plus package -- it includes PS elements3 and
    software [profiler plus 2.3] to use your scanner to produce custom profiles for
    your favorite printer/paper/ink combinations.

    I found it [along with the custom printer profile generation] quite useful.

    SamSez, May 10, 2005
  10. aaron

    Julia Guest

    I tried to use Spyder for my Samsung LCD but whatever I did the
    correction it made to my settings was way off from the target line
    especially the red color. I called customer service and they let me try
    their fancier software. However it gave similar result. I did another
    session with tech support to make sure I do not do anything wrong. They
    concluded that the unit is defective and sent me a replacement. Guess
    what... same problem.
    I sent color correction graphs to the device maker tech support but
    they never bothered to reply. I just gave up at some point and have
    that thing collecting dust on my shelf. I searched news groups but
    couldn't find anything related to my "red color" issue. I tried same
    monitor with two different XP PCs that had different graphics cards,
    same result. It has been one very disappointing experience and wasted
    money and tons of time.

    Julia, May 10, 2005
  11. aaron

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    Julia says...
    > I tried to use Spyder for my Samsung LCD but whatever I did the
    > correction it made to my settings was way off from the target line
    > especially the red color. I called customer service and they let me try
    > their fancier software. However it gave similar result. I did another
    > session with tech support to make sure I do not do anything wrong. They
    > concluded that the unit is defective and sent me a replacement. Guess
    > what... same problem.
    > I sent color correction graphs to the device maker tech support but
    > they never bothered to reply. I just gave up at some point and have
    > that thing collecting dust on my shelf. I searched news groups but
    > couldn't find anything related to my "red color" issue. I tried same
    > monitor with two different XP PCs that had different graphics cards,
    > same result. It has been one very disappointing experience and wasted
    > money and tons of time.

    Great - that's more or less my conclusion too. The Spyder2Pro is a piece
    of rubbish. Will return it to the shop asap.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 11, 2005
  12. aaron

    SamSez Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Julia says...
    > > I tried to use Spyder for my Samsung LCD but whatever I did the
    > > correction it made to my settings was way off from the target line
    > > especially the red color. I called customer service and they let me try
    > > their fancier software. However it gave similar result. I did another
    > > session with tech support to make sure I do not do anything wrong. They
    > > concluded that the unit is defective and sent me a replacement. Guess
    > > what... same problem.
    > > I sent color correction graphs to the device maker tech support but
    > > they never bothered to reply. I just gave up at some point and have
    > > that thing collecting dust on my shelf. I searched news groups but
    > > couldn't find anything related to my "red color" issue. I tried same
    > > monitor with two different XP PCs that had different graphics cards,
    > > same result. It has been one very disappointing experience and wasted
    > > money and tons of time.

    > Great - that's more or less my conclusion too. The Spyder2Pro is a piece
    > of rubbish. Will return it to the shop asap.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    yup, must be something wrong with those of using it quite successfully....

    SamSez, May 11, 2005
  13. aaron

    UrbanVoyeur Guest

    Julia wrote:
    > I tried to use Spyder for my Samsung LCD but whatever I did the
    > correction it made to my settings was way off from the target line
    > especially the red color. I called customer service and they let me try
    > their fancier software. However it gave similar result. I did another
    > session with tech support to make sure I do not do anything wrong. They
    > concluded that the unit is defective and sent me a replacement. Guess
    > what... same problem.
    > I sent color correction graphs to the device maker tech support but
    > they never bothered to reply. I just gave up at some point and have
    > that thing collecting dust on my shelf. I searched news groups but
    > couldn't find anything related to my "red color" issue. I tried same
    > monitor with two different XP PCs that had different graphics cards,
    > same result. It has been one very disappointing experience and wasted
    > money and tons of time.

    Hmmm. Works great for me on a several ViewSonic LCD's.

    I wonder if it has to do with certain LCD's

    I assume you followid all the set up instruction regarding your monitor
    and video card settings? Did you run it is a darkened room?

    www.urbanvoyeur.com

    UrbanVoyeur, May 11, 2005
  14. aaron

    Julia Guest

    Yes, I did run it in the darkened room and I disabled all video card
    color management e t c. Tech support agreed that I did everything
    right. I would really prefer that thing working Ok instead of
    complaining here :). I know that many people are happy with using this
    device and this is why the whole problem is so puzzling for me... I
    really wish I knew if I do anything wrong...
    ---
    here is the graph before calibration
    http://images9.fotki.com/v183/fileQur5/8bbcd/2/239/49886/uncalibrated.jpg

    and here it is after:
    http://images9.fotki.com/v179/fileY06N/8bbcd/2/239/49886/correction.jpg

    (click reload a time or two if these links do not load)

    Julia, May 11, 2005
  15. aaron

    Bubbabob Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > Great - that's more or less my conclusion too. The Spyder2Pro is a piece
    > of rubbish. Will return it to the shop asap.

    Same results here, but with the earlier version of the probe.

    Bubbabob, May 11, 2005
  16. aaron

    Bubbabob Guest

    Those graphs look very much like what I ended up with. I also found that it
    did a poor job on CRT's. So much so that everyone who looked at the
    monitors I tried it on asked me what was wrong with them.

    Bubbabob, May 11, 2005