    one, or refer me to a link that would help.

    Thank you.

    Morton Linder

    Morton, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Morton

    Paul Furman Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Windows Home Premium, and printing with an HP Photosmart
    > 8200. My printer is set by default to Colorsmart RGB, and I am actually
    > pleased with my prints from my Canon SD 800 IS (JPEG, best quality
    > setting) using HP Premium Plus paper and HP inks. My PC is a Toshiba
    > with LCD screen.
    >
    > I just read that in some cases Adobe RGB is better than Colorsmart RGB,
    > but no details were given.
    >
    > Can someone explain to me the differences in the 2 and when to use which
    > one, or refer me to a link that would help.

    Best I can tell ColorSmart is an HP proprietary thing suitable for if
    you don't want to fiddle around and want easy fairly good output.
    Basically you'll have to read all about it to know why another option
    would be better, there is no easy answer other than "if you want to be
    more precise in matching colors". See this chart:
    <http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:KmeIjOV0t1EJ:h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp%3FobjectID%3Dc00228021+Colorsmart+rgb&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us>

    Paul Furman, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Morton wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm running Windows Home Premium, and printing with an HP Photosmart
    >> 8200. My printer is set by default to Colorsmart RGB, and I am
    >> actually pleased with my prints from my Canon SD 800 IS (JPEG, best
    >> quality setting) using HP Premium Plus paper and HP inks. My PC is a
    >> Toshiba with LCD screen.
    >>
    >> I just read that in some cases Adobe RGB is better than Colorsmart
    >> RGB, but no details were given.
    >>
    >> Can someone explain to me the differences in the 2 and when to use
    >> which one, or refer me to a link that would help.

    > Best I can tell ColorSmart is an HP proprietary thing suitable for if
    > you don't want to fiddle around and want easy fairly good output.
    > Basically you'll have to read all about it to know why another option
    > would be better, there is no easy answer other than "if you want to be
    > more precise in matching colors". See this chart:
    > <http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:KmeIjOV0t1EJ:h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp%3FobjectID%3Dc00228021+Colorsmart+rgb&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us>

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your reply and the link. The link explained the situation
    nicely. Amateurs use ColorSmart to get pleasing prints; while
    professionals use Adobe RGB to get precise matching of colors and a
    wider color palette, albeit with extra work.

    I'll stick to ColorSmart.

    Thanks again.

    Mort

    Morton, Dec 14, 2007