Color shift having prints done at Walgreens / Target

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Destin_FL, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    Hello all,
    Strange: I have some images I recorded in the D70 Adobe RGB ---- then got them
    where I want them in PS CS2, Adobe RGB, and looking at them they look good.
    Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
    on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
    thing.
    BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
    course I wasn't charged for them...

    And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
    them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.

    Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.

    The images are here: http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Allison.jpg
    and http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Lauren.jpg

    Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!

    Tim
     
    Destin_FL, Jan 10, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Destin_FL

    Marvin Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > Strange: I have some images I recorded in the D70 Adobe RGB ---- then got them
    > where I want them in PS CS2, Adobe RGB, and looking at them they look good.
    > Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
    > on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
    > thing.
    > BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
    > course I wasn't charged for them...
    >
    > And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
    > them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >
    > Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.
    >
    > The images are here: http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Allison.jpg
    > and http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Lauren.jpg
    >
    > Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!
    >
    > Tim
    >
    >

    On my monitor, the backgrounds in both are green, as they should be. The skin colors
    aren't at all green. Perhaps both stores are using the same kind of photo printer and/or
    supplies.
     
    Marvin, Jan 10, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Destin_FL

    bmoag Guest

    Unless you print your own with a color managed workflow there is no real way
    to control, much less troubleshoot, these types of problems.
    Many people who post to this newsgroup love their Walmart prints . . .
     
    bmoag, Jan 10, 2006
    #3
  4. Destin_FL

    Bob Williams Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > Strange: I have some images I recorded in the D70 Adobe RGB ---- then got them
    > where I want them in PS CS2, Adobe RGB, and looking at them they look good.
    > Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
    > on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
    > thing.
    > BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
    > course I wasn't charged for them...
    >
    > And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
    > them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >
    > Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.
    >
    > The images are here: http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Allison.jpg
    > and http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Lauren.jpg
    >
    > Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!
    >
    > Tim
    >
    >

    On my monitor, Allison appears a bit too green.
    Perhaps the surroundings were predominantly green and reflected light
    which actually affected the color of the light reaching the subject.
    Alternately your own monitor may not be calibrated correctly and adds a
    slight magenta cast compensating for the real "too green" output.
    Do all of your prints have a greenish cast?
    I'd try pinking up the images a little with your photo editor.
    Bob Williams
     
    Bob Williams, Jan 10, 2006
    #4
  5. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love both Wal-Mart and Walgreens for prints! This
    batch though was reallllllly green. I took 4 different files to print and they
    all had the same weird green cast to them. And looked great in the preview
    screen at the store, AND the preview screen on the big printer/press.

    I'm wondering if these drugstore printers/services just can't resolve or make
    work the Adobe RBG? I'm thinking if I took them back as sRGB they might be
    right. ???

    When I ended up just doing them on my Canon Pixma they are perfect.

    T





    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    news:y0Uwf.4986$...
    Unless you print your own with a color managed workflow there is no real way
    to control, much less troubleshoot, these types of problems.
    Many people who post to this newsgroup love their Walmart prints . . .
     
    Destin_FL, Jan 10, 2006
    #5
  6. Destin_FL

    l v Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    [snip]
    > Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they looked great
    > on the preview screen, you know on that card reader do-it-yourself machine
    > thing.
    > BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to them. Of
    > course I wasn't charged for them...
    >
    > And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine showed
    > them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >

    [snip]
    >
    > Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!
    >
    > Tim


    I have not used Walgreens nor Target, but I have used CVS for my 4x6
    prints. I have to *tell* the machine that I do not want any color
    correction nor enhancements for each print I upload. On CVS's Kodak
    machine there is an enhancement button for each pic which displays
    another screen allowing me to remove color correction. It's painfull
    to do for each pic, but I do get fairly quick at it.

    Len
     
    l v, Jan 10, 2006
    #6
  7. "Destin_FL" <> wrote in message
    >
    > And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine
    > showed
    > them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >
    > Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.


    I have to wonder about the sensors in the printer. There is a lot of green
    in both shots and it may be picking up so much and not the skin tones.
    Allison looks a bit pale on my monitor. Both girls are off center. If the
    metering system is center weighted it may be over correcting that way.
     
    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 11, 2006
    #7
  8. Destin_FL

    Bob Williams Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    > Yeah, don't get me wrong... I love both Wal-Mart and Walgreens for prints! This
    > batch though was reallllllly green. I took 4 different files to print and they
    > all had the same weird green cast to them. And looked great in the preview
    > screen at the store, AND the preview screen on the big printer/press.
    >
    > I'm wondering if these drugstore printers/services just can't resolve or make
    > work the Adobe RBG? I'm thinking if I took them back as sRGB they might be
    > right. ???
    >
    > When I ended up just doing them on my Canon Pixma they are perfect.


    That is a possibility.
    Those printers expect images to be in sRGB color space.
    Just for our own information, why dont you convert to sRGB, have them
    printed again and report back? "Inquiring Minds Want To Know"
    Bob Williams
     
    Bob Williams, Jan 11, 2006
    #8
  9. Destin_FL

    Chip Gallo Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Destin_FL" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine
    >>showed
    >>them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >>
    >>Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.

    >
    >
    > I have to wonder about the sensors in the printer. There is a lot of green
    > in both shots and it may be picking up so much and not the skin tones.
    > Allison looks a bit pale on my monitor. Both girls are off center. If the
    > metering system is center weighted it may be over correcting that way.
    >
    >


    If you search this site for "Fuji Frontier," there is information on
    getting decent color prints. All the Wal-Mart photo centers I have
    visited have one of the Fuji's, either a 370 or a 390.

    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html

    If you really want to do it right, visit White House Custom Colour and
    download their guidance on how to set up digital prints. There are other
    online labs to be sure. My 11x14s from WHCC won awards this past summer
    at the county fair. Very accurate color. Reasonable prices. I don't work
    for them btw.

    http://www.whcc.com/

    Chip Gallo
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipgallo
     
    Chip Gallo, Jan 11, 2006
    #9
  10. Destin_FL

    Rod Williams Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Destin_FL" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press machine
    >>showed
    >>them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing they went green.
    >>
    >>Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.

    >
    >
    > I have to wonder about the sensors in the printer. There is a lot of green
    > in both shots and it may be picking up so much and not the skin tones.
    > Allison looks a bit pale on my monitor. Both girls are off center. If the
    > metering system is center weighted it may be over correcting that way.
    >
    >

    One thing I have found is that these printers are very smart and can
    correct and make acceptable pictures out of bad pictures. I color
    correct everything in Photo Shop with a calibrated monitor so I know my
    pictures are correct. I asked if they could disable all correction and
    print my pictures the way I intended them to look, and I was told that
    it can't be done and they are only taught one way to print. They don't
    seem to know anything other than how to push start. I guess that is why
    they have pro labs. I print at home and get results that are the same as
    what I see on the monitor. I would like to find a place that friends and
    family could take my pictures and print them for themselves, saving me a
    lot of time and money.
     
    Rod Williams, Jan 11, 2006
    #10
  11. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    I'll do it!

    Tim


    ______________


    That is a possibility.
    Those printers expect images to be in sRGB color space.
    Just for our own information, why dont you convert to sRGB, have them
    printed again and report back? "Inquiring Minds Want To Know"
    Bob Williams
     
    Destin_FL, Jan 11, 2006
    #11
  12. Bob Williams wrote:
    >
    >
    > Destin_FL wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >> Strange: I have some images I recorded in the D70 Adobe RGB ---- then
    >> got them where I want them in PS CS2, Adobe RGB, and looking at them
    >> they look good.
    >> Then I took them on the compact flash to Walgreens, and ..... they
    >> looked great on the preview screen, you know on that card reader
    >> do-it-yourself machine thing.
    >> BUT when I got them back, they had an overwhelming green tint/cast to
    >> them. Of course I wasn't charged for them...
    >>
    >> And the guy said that his preview window on the big printer press
    >> machine showed them looking correct too. Somewhere in the printing
    >> they went green.
    >>
    >> Took them to Target.... same results, not as green, but still green.
    >>
    >> The images are here:
    >> http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Allison.jpg
    >> and http://www.hightidemediagroup.com/verytemp/Lauren.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for any ideas / solutions!!!
    >>
    >> Tim
    >>

    > On my monitor, Allison appears a bit too green.


    on my profiled monitor,
    both images look very good.

    Lauren looks perfect.

    try costco, or kodak
     
    bob crownfield, Jan 11, 2006
    #12
  13. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    Yeah, see that's the thing, they look perfect here, AND they looked perfect both
    on the load-your-compactflash-photos-machine-thing, and the actual print press.

    Allison is VERY fair-skinned to start with. I even bumped her up a touch from
    real life in CS2... :)
    I'm convinced this might be an Adobe RGB vs. sRGB thing - because remember at
    Target it was a KODAK machine and it crapped out the pictures towards green too.

    Tim

    _____________



    on my profiled monitor,
    both images look very good.

    Lauren looks perfect.

    try costco, or kodak
     
    Destin_FL, Jan 12, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Terry

    better prints from Target or Ritz

    Terry, Jul 27, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    326
    jeff liss
    Jul 27, 2003
  2. Ksu93dlv

    Digital prints from Walgreens?

    Ksu93dlv, Dec 14, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,686
    Kerry Sanders
    Dec 19, 2003
  3. joe_reed

    Target and Walgreens, glossy or matte?

    joe_reed, Jan 12, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    9,452
    dijadi
    Aug 3, 2012
  4. Tom
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    627
  5. deepak21

    shift left/shift right in VHDL

    deepak21, May 6, 2012, in forum: Software
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,696
    deepak21
    May 6, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page