    Someone said 'just compare your PC color to your print out' - I use a
    lab in Texas - so that's not practical
    , May 23, 2006

  2. gpsman Guest

    wrote:
    > 1) use the AbodeRGB color space in my camera.
    > 2) i created a custom ICC color profile on my laptop using Spyder2pro
    >
    > What setting should I use in my editing software?
    >
    > I am lost on this issue.
    >
    > If I match the camera setting (AdobeRGB) I assume I will 'see' the
    > color space created my the camera. What is the effect of my custom
    > monitor ICC profile in this case? If any.
    >
    > If I use the custom color profile does it ignore the AdobeRGB?
    >
    > To add confusion my editing software has only one global setting - use
    > monitor profile. All other profiles are set on a per photo basis.

    Well... whatever you do, don't mention the name of that editing
    software...

    > Someone said 'just compare your PC color to your print out' - I use a
    > lab in Texas - so that's not practical

    It's practical if you get prints back from the lab and haven't
    destroyed the file you sent them.

    It's no improvement to calibrate your monitor to your camera, AFAICT,
    without knowing how accurately that resembles WYSIWYG back from the
    lab.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, May 23, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > 1) use the AbodeRGB color space in my camera.
    > 2) i created a custom ICC color profile on my laptop using Spyder2pro
    >
    > What setting should I use in my editing software?
    >
    > I am lost on this issue.
    >
    > If I match the camera setting (AdobeRGB) I assume I will 'see' the
    > color space created my the camera. What is the effect of my custom
    > monitor ICC profile in this case? If any.
    >
    > If I use the custom color profile does it ignore the AdobeRGB?
    >
    > To add confusion my editing software has only one global setting - use
    > monitor profile. All other profiles are set on a per photo basis.
    >
    > Someone said 'just compare your PC color to your print out' - I use a
    > lab in Texas - so that's not practical

    Hi.

    You have not named your editing program. If it is one which uses Colour
    Management, like Photoshop or Ps Elements, then it will be worthwhile.

    What happens is that the images come in from your Camera with the Adobe RGB
    Profile "tagged" onto them.

    Adobe RGB, & sRGB are "Working Space Profiles"

    In Photoshop you can select which Working Space Profile you want to use. If
    your Tagged Image Profile is different, it should offer to Convert that to
    the one you have chosen.

    In Elements it automatically selects the one Tagged onto your Image.

    Your Colour Managed Editing Program should adjust the Colour Numbers by
    using the Monitor Profile, to give a Correct result on your screen, BUT it
    will leave the Numbers in the Image as they were.

    Your Monitor Profile is a "Device" Profile, and is used to make corrections
    which allow for its own characteristics, and it only applies to your system.

    You Lab would need to tell you which Working Space Profile to use, (probably
    sRGB ), when sending to them, if they apply their own Printing Profile, (a
    Device Profile) just before Printing.

    Or, you might need to get a Printer Profile from your Lab, and convert from
    your Working Space to it, to apply corrections to the Colour Numbers of your
    Images, so that they would get Printed with accurate Colours. But you
    should keep a copy Image with the Working Space Profile still tagged on, as
    the images converted to the Printer Profile will only appear correct through
    that specific Printer.

    Roy G
    Roy G, May 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Roy,

    thanks for the post. Let's see if I am on the right track here.

    1) my camera renders a color photo (let's ignore raw, and grayscale for
    now)
    2) let's say it uses the RGB color space

    3) i calibrated my monitor with a spyder, which I assume means I 'see'
    accurate colors. I assume this is true since the spyder 'read' color
    tests placed on the screen by the spyder software. The software should
    know the true 'value' of each color it shows and simply compares it to
    the actual reading. oila' the software now knows which values to
    adjust and by how much.

    So, now I have RGB color space associated with my photo, my monitor
    reds match 'real' red and I can tweak away happily.

    4) IF my lab uses RGB color space it should read my photos numerical
    values directly and do a print. If, however, they use some other color
    space they will have to convert from RGB to 'who knows what'?

    Am I on track? I also assume, that my lab doesn't do any 'color
    correction' like so many labs do (without telling us).

    IF i understand than the answer to my original question is - it doesn't
    matter.

    As long as your monitor is calibrated, your photos should reflect true
    colors.

    Last thoughts:

    1) there may be some value to having your camera color space match your
    printer or lab color space. I don't know how to quantify this.

    2) color calibrate your monitor (I hadn't done it and shipped out a
    large order of dark prints with a brown cast.)

    3) make sure your lab does NOT color correct as default. If they do,
    make certain they will turn it off for you.

    4) anytime your photo color numerical values get translated (say RGB to
    Adobe) there is a chance of color degredation.

    5) since Adobe color space covers more of the Lab color space - i would
    also assume it ould be the right choice in my camera ONLY if my print
    lab can use this color space. Otherwise they will just convert to RGB
    anywy before printing.

    Thanks again,

    bob b
    , May 26, 2006