Color profile (.ICM file) for Acer 1913 monitor and Windows 98

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sm5w2@hotmail.com, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Are there different versions of ICM files? Say, one version for
    Windows 98 and another (newer?) version for Windows XP?

    I'm trying to "install" a new Acer AL1913 LCD monitor on a Windows-98
    system. There really isin't anything to install, but there is a color
    profile file (al1913.icm) that I was trying to have the display driver
    use.

    Problem is, when I try to apply that file, I get the message "An Error
    occurred while associating AL1913.ICM. This is not a valid color
    profile."

    So, like, WTF ?! Are not all .ICM files created equal?

    The CD that came with the monitor is useless. It has an autorun.inf
    file which I can't quite figure out what to do with, a file
    AcerAL1913.exe which I can't run (not a Win32 application) and it's not
    a compressed archive.
    , Jan 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. rafe bustin Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 18:58:40 -0800, wrote:

    >Are there different versions of ICM files? Say, one version for
    >Windows 98 and another (newer?) version for Windows XP?
    >
    >I'm trying to "install" a new Acer AL1913 LCD monitor on a Windows-98
    >system. There really isin't anything to install, but there is a color
    >profile file (al1913.icm) that I was trying to have the display driver
    >use.
    >
    >Problem is, when I try to apply that file, I get the message "An Error
    >occurred while associating AL1913.ICM. This is not a valid color
    >profile."
    >
    >So, like, WTF ?! Are not all .ICM files created equal?
    >
    >The CD that came with the monitor is useless. It has an autorun.inf
    >file which I can't quite figure out what to do with, a file
    >AcerAL1913.exe which I can't run (not a Win32 application) and it's not
    >a compressed archive.



    ..ICC and .ICM files are cross-platform.

    IIRC, Win98SE was the first MS op system to be
    ICC-aware. But don't quote me on that.

    Another thing to be aware of is that different
    op systems (even different versions of Windoze)
    expect .ICC and .ICM files to be in different
    directories.

    For Win98, profiles should be in
    \windows\system\color


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bill Hilton Guest

    >From:

    >Are there different versions of ICM files?


    Yes, many different kinds for different devices ... mine range is size from 500
    bytes for a monitor profile to 1,500,000 bytes for a paper/ink profile. There
    are several different classes of profiles.

    >Say, one version for
    >Windows 98 and another (newer?) version for Windows XP?


    No, the profile is for a device or working space and can be used even from
    Windows to Mac, much less different versions of Windows.

    >I'm trying to "install" a new Acer AL1913 LCD monitor on a Windows-98
    >system. There really isin't anything to install, but there is a color
    >profile file (al1913.icm) that I was trying to have the display driver
    >use.


    First off, this won't be very accurate, it's more a generic profile for that
    monitor type but each specific monitor, even of the same brand, will be
    slightly different ... walk thru a department store and watch the TV sets, even
    the same brands display colors differently ...

    Second, the colors will shift over time so even if the generic one is even
    moderately accurate at first it will gradually be less accurate. You really
    need to profile the monitor yourself under your working conditions.

    Third ... how are you installing it? I'd just copy it to the
    Windows/System32/Spool/drivers/color then right click on the open desktop and
    select properties/settings/advanced/color management and see if it's in the
    list associated with your monitor ... if not try adding it.

    If it won't add to the list then the profile probably wasn't built correctly.

    >Problem is, when I try to apply that file, I get the message "An Error
    >occurred while associating AL1913.ICM. This is not a valid color
    >profile."
    >
    >So, like, WTF ?! Are not all .ICM files created equal?


    I have a professional level profile checker, if this profile is small (it
    should be, my monitor profiles are typically around 500 bytes since it's just a
    9x9 matrix) you can email it to me as an attachment (change .comedy to the
    obvious) and I'll run it thru the profile diagnostics, which only takes a few
    seconds. But first try the steps outlined above. And realize that even if
    this profile loads it's just a short term solution.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jan 20, 2005
    #3
  4. Bill Hilton Guest

    >From:

    >I'm trying to "install" a new Acer AL1913 LCD monitor on a Windows-98
    >system.


    Just realized the path I gave you in the previous post was for installing the
    profile in Win XP, it will be different in 98 ... sorry.
    Bill Hilton, Jan 20, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    Acer tech support says that the .ICM file posted for the AL1913 LCD
    monitor is for when you hook the monitor to a Macintosh computer and
    that it's not intended for use when the monitor is connected to a PC.

    So, are .ICM files for the Mac somehow different than for PC's?

    The ICM file in question is located here:

    https://www.synapsenow.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/AL1913 Driver.zip
    , Jan 22, 2005
    #5
  6. Bill Hilton Guest

    >From:

    >Acer tech support says that the .ICM file posted for the AL1913 LCD
    >monitor is for when you hook the monitor to a Macintosh computer and
    >that it's not intended for use when the monitor is connected to a PC.
    >
    >So, are .ICM files for the Mac somehow different than for PC's?


    ICM or ICC files for output devices like printers are interchangeable between
    Mac and PC's. So are most input device profiles like scanners.

    Dunno for sure about monitors ... in a way it doesn't matter because the canned
    profiles from the manufacturers aren't very accurate so typically you would
    only use them if you can't generate your own profile and aren't picky about
    getting accurate colors.

    >The ICM file in question is located here:
    >
    >https://www.synapsenow.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/AL1913 Driver.zip


    I downloaded it and ran it thru Color Think, it looks OK, with a slightly wider
    gamut than the profile on my monitor. I was also able to load it and assign it
    as my default profile with my CRT in Win XP (21" Viewsonic Pro Graphics
    monitor). So you should be able to use it.

    I think if you can load it in the right directory you should be able to assign
    it as your default profile and it will probably be better than no profile at
    all, but ideally you'll want to generate a custom one if you want more accurate
    matching between monitor and print.
    Bill Hilton, Jan 22, 2005
    #6
  7. rafe bustin Guest

    On 22 Jan 2005 17:49:24 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >I downloaded it and ran it thru Color Think, it looks OK, with a slightly wider
    >gamut than the profile on my monitor. I was also able to load it and assign it
    >as my default profile with my CRT in Win XP (21" Viewsonic Pro Graphics
    >monitor). So you should be able to use it.



    Bill, I've got a couple of monitor profiles
    that I'd love to see maps of. Could you
    help me out?

    I don't have your email addy handy... but
    I think you have mine, or you can get it
    from the "Ordering" link on my website.
    Thanks!


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Jan 22, 2005
    #7
  8. Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: rafe bustin

    >Bill, I've got a couple of monitor profiles
    >that I'd love to see maps of. Could you
    >help me out?


    Sure, monitor profiles are small enough so it's easy to download them and the
    analysis is fast.

    >I don't have your email addy handy


    Change .comedy to .com ... I don't go to great lengths to hide it :)

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jan 22, 2005
    #8
  9. rafe bustin Guest

    On 22 Jan 2005 20:26:08 GMT, dy (Bill Hilton)
    wrote:

    >>From: rafe bustin

    >
    >>Bill, I've got a couple of monitor profiles
    >>that I'd love to see maps of. Could you
    >>help me out?

    >
    >Sure, monitor profiles are small enough so it's easy to download them and the
    >analysis is fast.
    >
    >>I don't have your email addy handy

    >
    >Change .comedy to .com ... I don't go to great lengths to hide it :)



    I can't seem to send to AOL at the moment
    so I've posted them here:

    http://www.terrapinphoto.com/bhilton

    You should be able to email me
    without problems.


    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Jan 22, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Editor  www.nutritionsoftware.org

    After calibrating monitor what to do with .icm file in Photoshop?

    Editor www.nutritionsoftware.org, Nov 24, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    7,287
    Ray Murphy
    Nov 25, 2003
  2. Joe Donaldson
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,851
    Joe Donaldson
    Dec 3, 2003
  3. Lindyhop
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    12,494
    Ray Paseur
    Jul 3, 2004
  4. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,195
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    666
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page