    Do I need their "ICC" file and what would I do with it.
    Do others agree that this is confusing in concept. Thanks

    -Joshua Wein

    Josh, Jan 17, 2005

  2. "Josh" <> writes:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a question for the gurus out there. I am trying to set up a
    > system to get the most predictable color output from a commercial print
    > making service. When asked they said they print in sRGB (mpix.com).
    > Does this mean that if I place my prints into the sRGB space using
    > Photoshop, and I have a well calibrated monitor, that I will be
    > reasonably happy with my results once I like what I see?

    Yes.

    Well, it means that *if* the print people do their job well, and if
    your monitor calibrarion is correct. And if you like the print
    looking like the image did on the screen :).

    > Let me see if I get this. I create a hardware profile for my display
    > (Mac) which is currently "Color LCD-4270800.icc". Then I can reasonably
    > assume that any photo in any specific color space can be adjusted to my
    > liking. Can I assume that if a commercial printer (assuming they are
    > reputable) prints in sRGB for example, that they calibrate their end?

    You can't even depend on them not to run "auto levels" or equivalent
    on your images before printing them; never mind relatively small
    profile differences. Check out exactly what they say they do. Places
    oriented towards professionals tend to have very different defaults
    than places oriented towards consumers.

    > Do I need their "ICC" file and what would I do with it.

    No, they're taking care of that (and it may differ from printer to
    printer and day to day, anyway).

    > Do others agree that this is confusing in concept. Thanks

    No, actually it's much *simpler* in concept.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Josh

    Josh Guest

    mpix.com seems to me to be relatively professional. The prints even
    have that copyright warning on the back as if I was a pro. So I would
    doubt they'd "autolevel" my prints (I have heard of that happening).
    I'm also hoping that if I like a 4x6 and I decide to get a larger print
    (which may be printed on a different machine) that it will look the
    same. Thanks for your help - my evening surf the web education last
    night taught me a lot, it seems a lot less confusing.

    -Josh

    Josh, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Josh

    Owamanga Guest

    On 16 Jan 2005 18:00:50 -0800, "Josh" <> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have a question for the gurus out there. I am trying to set up a
    >system to get the most predictable color output from a commercial print
    >making service. When asked they said they print in sRGB (mpix.com).
    >Does this mean that if I place my prints into the sRGB space using
    >Photoshop, and I have a well calibrated monitor, that I will be
    >reasonably happy with my results once I like what I see?

    That's the theory.

    In practice, it's always worth including a few test-frames with your
    first batch to give you an idea of the levels of sharpening which work
    best and the saturation levels of that particular company's printers
    and paper.

    I make strip samples in photoshop (the same image strip repeated about
    5-6 times).

    One has different levels of sharpening.
    One has different levels of saturation boost.
    One has different levels of a 3% color shift, towards red, blue,
    green, a black&white strip and the unchanged strip.
    One is an untouched human portrait without strips.

    4 photos, cost under $2 to do.

    Once you get these back, you can compare them with your monitor, and
    either learn the difference or attempt to change your system's profile
    to match.

    Mpix have 3 different paper types, so you'd need to repeat that test
    for each one you choose to use.

    >Let me see if I get this. I create a hardware profile for my display
    >(Mac) which is currently "Color LCD-4270800.icc". Then I can reasonably
    >assume that any photo in any specific color space can be adjusted to my
    >liking. Can I assume that if a commercial printer (assuming they are
    >reputable) prints in sRGB for example, that they calibrate their end?

    They should try and keep their equipment calibrated to sRGB, I've
    heard that some people run calibration tests every morning. Not sure
    about mpix.

    >Do I need their "ICC" file and what would I do with it.

    No, sRGB is a universal profile.

    >Do others agree that this is confusing in concept. Thanks

    No, the concept is fine, it's just the reality that's impossible.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Josh

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Owamanga wrote:

    > In practice, it's always worth including a few test-frames with your
    > first batch to give you an idea of the levels of sharpening which work
    > best and the saturation levels of that particular company's printers
    > and paper.
    >
    > I make strip samples in photoshop (the same image strip repeated about
    > 5-6 times).

    Could you post a sample? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're
    doing.

    Thanks!

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Josh

    Josh Guest

    Great idea. I haven't introduced sharpening into the mix yet, and no
    color profile takes that into account. Thanks for the advice.

    -Josh

    Josh, Jan 17, 2005
  7. Josh

    Owamanga Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:02:22 GMT, Joe Makowiec
    <> wrote:

    >On 17 Jan 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Owamanga wrote:
    >
    >> In practice, it's always worth including a few test-frames with your
    >> first batch to give you an idea of the levels of sharpening which work
    >> best and the saturation levels of that particular company's printers
    >> and paper.
    >>
    >> I make strip samples in photoshop (the same image strip repeated about
    >> 5-6 times).

    >Could you post a sample? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're
    >doing.

    Not easily, without posting a binary somewhere, then it'd be a bugger
    for anyone to find.

    It's an old darkroom technique, Here is an example used for exposure
    tests:
    http://www.shutterbug.net/images/archivesart/0403thedarkroom144i06.jpg

    Except mine are in color, created in photoshop, and I'm looking for
    the correct sharpening or color saturation rather than exposure. I
    superimpose text 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% etc across the top of the strips so
    I know how to re-create it afterwards.

    You could of course set up an image made up of little squares instead,
    such as the top example here: This is a link to a photoshop plugin
    called 'test-strip'

    http://www.edigitalphoto.com/accessories/0101edp_vivid/

    And a review:

    http://www.designer-info.com/master.htm?http://www.designer-info.com/Photo/teststrip_3.htm