    free dvd software from the net so i could actually play the dvd . hope this
    might help

    thanks

    leno bob, Jun 6, 2005

  2. leno bob

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 7, 2005

  3. leno bob

    leno bob Guest

    here is the info
    i have a machine w/ windows xp sp2 . I first used media player , then real
    player then used a program called intervideo ( the free trail verison) and
    they all played teh same . i did update the media player to play the dvd .
    wich is the first thing i did after installing the unit . the cd playback
    works fine . when that didnt work i went to google and found some free
    software out there on the net .the dvd i tried to watch was a commercial dvd
    i bought . i actually tried watching 3 different dvds 2 regular 1 burned and
    they were played the same way
    the video card is a pro savage ddr wich came included onboard with the
    machine ( its a via technologies motherboard) the dvd playback was the same
    withh all programs used ..the video card has 32 mb ram for the video card
    and i have about 736 mb of ram memory
    yeah i know its not the unit but something w/ the software
    hmmm......
    thanks for the advice

    "rainman" <> wrote in message

    leno bob, Jun 7, 2005
  4. leno bob

    leno bob Guest

    oh i forgot to mention that i have a dual boot , bothe xp and the dvd
    playback was the exact same on both o/s !

    leno bob, Jun 7, 2005
  5. leno bob

    rainman Guest

    leno bob wrote:
    > here is the info
    > i have a machine w/ windows xp sp2 . I first used media player , then real
    > player then used a program called intervideo ( the free trail verison) and
    > they all played teh same . i did update the media player to play the dvd .
    > wich is the first thing i did after installing the unit . the cd playback
    > works fine . when that didnt work i went to google and found some free
    > software out there on the net .the dvd i tried to watch was a commercial dvd
    > i bought . i actually tried watching 3 different dvds 2 regular 1 burned and
    > they were played the same way
    > the video card is a pro savage ddr wich came included onboard with the
    > machine ( its a via technologies motherboard) the dvd playback was the same
    > withh all programs used ..the video card has 32 mb ram for the video card
    > and i have about 736 mb of ram memory
    > yeah i know its not the unit but something w/ the software
    > hmmm......
    > thanks for the advice

    You might have bad decoders. Is your DVD drive a hardware decoder, and
    if not, try re-installing any software that came with the DVD drive.
    Also, try looking at the manufacturer's site of your DVD drive for
    similar issues.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jun 8, 2005
  6. leno bob

    rainman Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > No one is using hardware decoding any more, and even when it was used,
    > it was never in the DVD drive, it was a separate PCI card or, very
    > rarely, it was a chip on the video card.

    I've seen them on some very expensive DVD drives, but it required
    additional drivers.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jun 8, 2005
  7. leno bob

    leno bob Guest

    i have downloaded a utility to see all the codecs that were installed on the
    machine and i am afraid that i have a few nasty ones installed . i went
    download happy trying to get this thing to work . what I am going to do is
    install windows media center on this partition and see what happens !!
    thanks for the advice

    leno bob, Jun 8, 2005
  8. leno bob

    leno bob Guest

    I think you are right . so i just got a copy of power dvd , installed , and
    thats all she wrote! The playback does develop a slight chop , but for a
    little bit . It is definitly tolerable , and only for the first few minutes
    of play . But all in all I am finally able to enjoy my new piece of hardware
    it was all about getting the right software on there because the dvd isnt
    going to play right out the box, unless it came from a computer you bought
    at best buy or something
    thanks a mil

    leno bob, Jun 10, 2005
  9. leno bob

    rainman Guest

    You might be able to get rid of that "chop" by enabling "Hardware
    Acceleration" in the Tools menu of PowerDVD...

    FYI: I always use PowerDVD... I love it.

    Rainman

    rainman, Jun 10, 2005
  10. leno bob

    leno bob Guest

    you know i enabled the hardware acceleration and sometimes there will be
    slight stutter in playback
    but that all went away when eabled hardware acceleration thru display
    properties ...

    leno bob, Jun 20, 2005