    for color prints from modern labs?

    Can you please help?

    Best wishes
    Jack, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Jack

    Dieter Mayr Guest

    "Jack" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:dgua4i$5n9$-infra.bt.com...
    > Hi
    > I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
    > I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly

    people
    > photography that I send to regular color labs.
    > My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
    >
    > However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
    > It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just

    "right"
    > The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    > Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
    > I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
    >
    > Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting

    better
    > for color prints from modern labs?
    >
    > Can you please help?
    >
    > Best wishes

    Jack, did you calibrate (at least with a tool like AdobeGamma, better
    with
    a hardware solution) your monitor ?
    Workingcolorspace sRGB is ok when you have set your camera to sRGB, too
    I dont know what u mean with "prepress setting", but i think your
    problem
    is your monitor setting.
    You can make a simple test : open a image in PS,
    and save it without adjustments.
    Then give the original and the saved version to your lab,
    both should be the same.

    HTH
    Dieter
    Dieter Mayr, Sep 22, 2005

  3. In article <dgua4i$5n9$-infra.bt.com>,
    "Jack" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
    > I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly people
    > photography that I send to regular color labs.
    > My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
    >
    > However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
    > It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just "right"
    > The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    > Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
    > I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
    >
    > Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting better
    > for color prints from modern labs?
    >
    > Can you please help?
    >
    > Best wishes

    So your shooting jpegs? Adobe 1998 is good profile if your shooting Raw
    for print media and perhaps Lambda-Lightjet print as well. <This is from
    my experience>. So if your shooting jpegs and taking your files to a
    Walmart or other mini lab the sRGB is the profile of choice (So you are
    correct for that).

    As for the flat color there are a number of ways in PS to get better
    results, that is if the lab manages their end of it consistently.
    Personally I am almost to the point of say why bother with running
    across town, and I am about ready to buy a higher quality Inkjet. Too
    much dinking around at my expense & on my time. In any event, you can
    adjust the black and white points in PS- Levels and that should give you
    more contrast which is what your lacking, what you see on screen is not
    what may be correct for the lab and thats the simple reality. Ask the
    lab if they have a profile of choice or a calibration file they can give
    you, realizing you may get "Blank stares :) " Also realize that is just
    the beginning of the calibration process to their system. At a better
    prolab you may be able to give them an Inkjet for reference for those
    big 100 or 1,000 print jobs :) Hope it helps.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Blank, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Thanks for your replies. However I feel that it's not a monitor issue as I
    am using spyder color software, besides I have this problem when I only
    adjust the levels (density) lighter and darker.
    I also, use the "info" display rather then pure visual.
    It seems to be a contrast problem rather then a color question.

    Thanks

    Jack, Sep 22, 2005
  5. "Dieter Mayr" <> writes:
    > Jack, did you calibrate (at least with a tool like AdobeGamma,
    > better with a hardware solution) your monitor ?

    Last time I tried to use my iBook's monitor calibration tool my greys
    came out brown, so I went back to the defaults and turned the
    brightness down a little (several people having complained that some
    of my pictures were hopelessly dark on their screens).

    Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
    thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?

    --
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
    Richard Kettlewell, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Jack wrote:

    > Thanks for your replies. However I feel that it's not a monitor issue as I
    > am using spyder color software, besides I have this problem when I only
    > adjust the levels (density) lighter and darker.
    > I also, use the "info" display rather then pure visual.
    > It seems to be a contrast problem rather then a color question.

    What are you using to adjust "the levels (density) lighter and darker?"
    This could be part of your problem. In photoshop only use
    the actual levels tool, or curves tool. Never use the
    brightness/contrast tool. Brightness/contrast is an additive tool.
    Curves is multiplicative, which is what you want. Levels is
    subtractive (low end) and multiply upper end. You can increase
    contrast with the curves tool making the 45 degree line slightly
    S-shaped (down a little near the low end; up a little at the
    bright end).

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 23, 2005
  7. Jack

    Dieter Mayr Guest

    "Richard Kettlewell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
    > thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?

    Richard

    I had a colorimeter solution in mind, like Monaco's Spider or
    dl-c's Profile Mechanic

    Dieter
    Dieter Mayr, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Jack

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a problem with color management on photoshopCS.
    > I have the color setting on the Canon 20D set to sRGB as I do mostly

    people
    > photography that I send to regular color labs.
    > My Lab does a great job when printing direct from the camera.
    >
    > However pictures that I adjust in ps (photoshop) come out flat.
    > It's really frustrating after spending hours getting a picture just

    "right"
    > The color space setting I have on my computer/ps is sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    > Should it be Adobe RGB 1998?
    > I have tried it but when I use it I get "color space change warnings".
    >
    > Do I use a general purpose color setting or is a "prepress" setting better
    > for color prints from modern labs?
    >
    > Can you please help?
    >
    > Best wishes

    Try this, take one of those "flat" prints and copy it to the clipboard.
    Create a new doccument and paste it. See what happens.
    Dirty Harry, Sep 23, 2005
  9. "Dieter Mayr" <> writes:
    > "Richard Kettlewell" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> Probably I should try again some time, but meanwhile what sort of
    >> thing did you have in mind as a hardware solution here?

    > Richard
    >
    > I had a colorimeter solution in mind, like Monaco's Spider or
    > dl-c's Profile Mechanic

    Thanks - I'll look into it.

    --
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/