    http://www.scenesavers.com.au and let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks
    Jeff

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Cab_Savvy

    Mark² Guest

    Cab_Savvy wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am creating a website containing photos of my journeys around
    > Victoria, Australia and would love to get your feedback. Please visit
    > http://www.scenesavers.com.au and let me know your thoughts.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    You have some nice images there...though your bee caption is a bit off...

    Bees are BORN almost too heavy to fly.
    :)

    Mark², Apr 30, 2006

  3. Cab_Savvy

    Bob Williams Guest

    Cab_Savvy wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am creating a website containing photos of my journeys around
    > Victoria, Australia and would love to get your feedback. Please visit
    > http://www.scenesavers.com.au and let me know your thoughts.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    I like it a lot!
    It has a lot of Macros, to which I am partial.
    Your comments are very apropos also.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Cab_Savvy

    simon Guest

    But once it did - there is some good stuff there...

    I'd say 'ditch the slow load set-up'

    people won't bother to wait...or revisit..(in my opinion)

    simon, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    Thanks for your comments. As a matter of interest, what is your
    connection speed?

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  6. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:52:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "simon"
    <> wrote:

    >But once it did - there is some good stuff there...
    >
    >I'd say 'ditch the slow load set-up'
    >
    >people won't bother to wait...or revisit..(in my opinion)

    Agreed on both count. I'm on cable modem That easily gets 4000+ kbps dl
    speeds and it took approx 20sec to load.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 30, 2006
  7. Cab_Savvy

    Celcius Guest

    Cab,
    Great. Simply great!
    I love everything: the mountains, the brook, the grass, the new growth
    on the burnt tree, the reeds on the river...
    You have a knack at capturing the essential, the meaningful.
    In brief, I wish mine were as good.
    What are you shooting with? Camera. Lens.
    Thanks for this opportunity.
    Take care,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Cab_Savvy

    Guest

    Excruciating for anyone on dial up.... I gave up at 7%, *having
    discovered that you have not offered any alternative but to wait* for
    whatever it is.

    I'm not normally forced to use a slow connection, but many are... Give
    them a way to skip the intro/use the site... or choose to lose them,
    as you lost me.

    *maybe* I'll look again when I am back to my usual bb connection..

    , Apr 30, 2006
  9. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    Naturally I am grateful for your comments. Do you have a site?

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  10. Cab_Savvy

    Pete D Guest

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:52:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "simon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>But once it did - there is some good stuff there...
    >>
    >>I'd say 'ditch the slow load set-up'
    >>
    >>people won't bother to wait...or revisit..(in my opinion)

    > Agreed on both count. I'm on cable modem That easily gets 4000+ kbps dl
    > speeds and it took approx 20sec to load.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Weird, only took me about 10 seconds on a 5Mb/1Mb DSL connection.

    Pete D, Apr 30, 2006
  11. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    Hi Mark,
    To be honest, I haven't seen the site on dial-up.This is a typical trap
    when you have a fast connection...you think everyone else is the same.
    I will get my head around reducing the overall file size. Do you think
    the images are too big?
    Regards,
    Jeff

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  12. Cab_Savvy

    Pete D Guest

    "Cab_Savvy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mark,
    > To be honest, I haven't seen the site on dial-up.This is a typical trap
    > when you have a fast connection...you think everyone else is the same.
    > I will get my head around reducing the overall file size. Do you think
    > the images are too big?
    > Regards,
    > Jeff

    Jeff,

    The actual file size for each of the shots this big should probably be in
    the 70-80kb size, any more is wasted on a display monitor. So for the 14
    shots on your site that will be 1000-1400Kb, not actually over the top but
    using your sites flash method where it al has to download before it displays
    dialuppers might find it a bit large.

    Pete D, Apr 30, 2006
  13. Cab_Savvy

    Guest

    G'day Jeff.

    What images? (O:

    I saw nothing - it's blank unless you are prepared to wait, and I
    wasn't.. Does that question mean you are not using thumbnails? I have
    yet to see a non-thumbnail method work for slow connections, except on
    very small images. And the impact/usability of very small images is,
    well... very small...

    So maybe you should have one way in for the bb-ers, and one for the
    slowpokes. Yes, it's a pain, but it depends on whether you want to
    collect the widest possible audience.. or not.

    I'm developing my own site now, and while I like the 'flash'y stuff,
    I've decided it isn't worth losing viewers. So it's all going to be
    conventional thumbnail galleries and click to view.. Boring, but most
    folk aren't there for the effects - they want to see images, preferably
    ones they choose. Or maybe that's just me.. (O:

    , Apr 30, 2006
  14. Cab_Savvy

    Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > G'day Jeff.
    >
    > What images? (O:
    >
    > I saw nothing - it's blank unless you are prepared to wait, and I
    > wasn't.. Does that question mean you are not using thumbnails? I have
    > yet to see a non-thumbnail method work for slow connections, except on
    > very small images. And the impact/usability of very small images is,
    > well... very small...
    >
    > So maybe you should have one way in for the bb-ers, and one for the
    > slowpokes. Yes, it's a pain, but it depends on whether you want to
    > collect the widest possible audience.. or not.
    >
    > I'm developing my own site now, and while I like the 'flash'y stuff,
    > I've decided it isn't worth losing viewers. So it's all going to be
    > conventional thumbnail galleries and click to view.. Boring, but most
    > folk aren't there for the effects - they want to see images, preferably
    > ones they choose. Or maybe that's just me.. (O:

    Hi Jeff

    Loved the pictures, any more going on soon?
    Website feedback - loaded up in under 10 secs on a 1Mb connection, looked ok
    in Firefox 1.5
    Must admit I'm a fan of thumbnails though as on a slow connection you can at
    least pick and choose what you look at rather than have to load up the whole
    site
    Picture size was a bit small for my liking but then I run a 19" screen at
    1600x1200

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  15. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    I have just reduced the file size from 1.6MB to 569K. There should be a
    noticable speed in download for you.
    The pre-loader was almost too fast to read for me.

    Thanks again for making the effort to comment.

    Appreciated,

    Jeff

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Cab_Savvy

    secheese Guest

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:57:11 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
    SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:52:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "simon"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>But once it did - there is some good stuff there...
    >>
    >>I'd say 'ditch the slow load set-up'
    >>
    >>people won't bother to wait...or revisit..(in my opinion)

    >Agreed on both count. I'm on cable modem That easily gets 4000+ kbps dl
    >speeds and it took approx 20sec to load.

    Only took me 10 secs to load. There could be a 1000 different
    bottlenecks between you and the site that are out of the control of
    the site owner.

    secheese, Apr 30, 2006
  17. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    Please reload the page. The whole file is a quarter of the original
    size.

    Thanks

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  18. Cab_Savvy

    Cab_Savvy Guest

    Now that some bugs have been ironed out, thanks to the group, does
    anyone have a site they would like to link to mine and vice versa?

    Cab_Savvy, Apr 30, 2006
  19. Cab_Savvy

    simon Guest

    Now takes me 20 secs to load. I have 512k connection.
    Once loaded the pics scroll quickly

    However I also think the lack of thumbnails is off putting.

    Commonly - many sites that load like yours give an alternative route in - so
    if you have a slow connection you can skip the intor and get right to
    thumbnails.

    Simon
    www.srsteel.co.uk

    simon, Apr 30, 2006
  20. Cab_Savvy

    MrB Guest

    I reloaded and it loaded instantly. Very nice pictures. How did you get that
    Wren into your hand in the first place?

    MrB, Apr 30, 2006