  1. Robert Olson

    Robert Olson Guest

    Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    Robert Olson, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Robert Olson

    Ken Burns Guest

    "Robert Olson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    Photoshop

    Ken Burns, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Robert Olson

    JMooreTS Guest

    >Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    Are you sure you want software? If so, yes Photoshop can do it.

    If you're asking whether color negatives can be scanned and produce positives,
    the answer to that is also "yes". But you don't need Photoshop to do it. Most
    film scanners provide software which will convert negative images to positives.

    JMooreTS, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Robert Olson

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:06:00 GMT, Robert Olson <>
    wrote:

    >Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    This could also be read as a "thing" that you stick negs into---and
    they come out positive.

    You need to scan the negatives: Normally, whe a scanner is told it is
    scanning a neg, it creates a "positive" file.

    Now--to make a postive--you need to use a film recorder. This may be
    the most expensive step.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Jan 25, 2004
  5. According to JMooreTS <>:
    > Are you sure you want software? If so, yes Photoshop can do it.

    Out of curiosity, what is the color coversion required to do this in PS? I
    know it's not a straight inversion (for color negatives), otherwise black
    would be white on the negative instead of amber/brown-ish. How exactly are the
    colors converted?

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Jan 25, 2004
  6. "Ethan Trewhitt" <> writes:

    >Out of curiosity, what is the color coversion required to do this in PS? I
    >know it's not a straight inversion (for color negatives), otherwise black
    >would be white on the negative instead of amber/brown-ish. How exactly are the
    >colors converted?

    I've described the process in some detail at least twice in this
    newsgroup before. I suggest doing a google search to find the previous
    discussions.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Robert Olson

    Robert Olson Guest

    Interesting answers! The question should have been "When I use my
    digital camera to photograph a 35mm color negative, how can I convert
    that digital image to a positive". I have built a gadget for my Fuji
    Finepix S3000 that does a fine job of copying 35mm slides and
    negatives. Professor Franklin and Irfanview both have a capability to
    do something that they call "negative", but it produces a blue-green
    image. Maybe the negative of a negative is not a positive! Or maybe it
    is just a cute special effect.

    Well, Photoshop is beyond my budget, and PS Elements does not advertise
    this capability.

    Robert Olson, Jan 25, 2004
  8. "Robert Olson" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting answers! The question should have been "When I use my
    > digital camera to photograph a 35mm color negative, how can I convert
    > that digital image to a positive". I have built a gadget for my Fuji
    > Finepix S3000 that does a fine job of copying 35mm slides and
    > negatives. Professor Franklin and Irfanview both have a capability to
    > do something that they call "negative", but it produces a blue-green
    > image. Maybe the negative of a negative is not a positive! Or maybe it
    > is just a cute special effect.

    The problem is that the color negative has an orange base layer that you
    need to subtract first. After that subtraction, the negative function should
    get you closer. (Not that I know how to do that...)

    FWIW, if you want a high-power image editor at a reasonable price, check out
    Picture Window Pro.

    http://www.normankoren.com/PWP_intro.html

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 25, 2004
  9. Robert Olson

    HRosita Guest

    > Robert Olson wrote:

    Hi Robert,

    Have you tried the Invert command in Elements 2?

    go to Image > Adjustments > Invert

    It worked for me from positive to negative and back.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Robert Olson

    Tom Monego Guest

    Kodak used to amke a slide print film for positive slides from negs. Generally
    used with some sort of slide reproduction equipment. Digitally, have a scanner
    that can use film the scanning software does it. If you don't have a scanner
    with film scanning software there is a procedure to get rid of the color mask
    on color negs, But I've always thought the results were flat looking. If you
    don't have a scanner get a Kodak PhotoCD (not picture CD) made, inexpensive
    place www.imagers.com.

    Tom

    In article <>, says...

    Tom Monego, Jan 25, 2004
  11. On 2004-01-25, Robert Olson <> wrote:
    > Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    Try Irfanview. It is free.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Robert Olson

    KBob Guest

    wrote:

    >Is there software that can convert color negatives to positives?

    Of course you can do this by simply inverting the image in Photoshop,
    but that's not always the best way, especially when there are better
    tools available to deal with the wide variety of color negatives you
    may wish to process.

    VueScan (now at v7.6.69) will recognize your scanner (film or flatbed)
    and has a profile lookup for nearly all color film negatives (and
    film/developer combinations), including those for large format.
    Because of this it can immediately compensate for the negative's
    orange mask without the need for twiddling with PS curves in some
    hit-and-miss manner. The created image files can then be loaded into
    Photoshop for touchup and final correction as needed.

    KBob, Jan 25, 2004
  13. Robert Olson

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 25, 2004
  14. Robert Olson

    Dan S Guest

    "Graphic Converter" the poor man's PS from Lemke has this as a command.

    --
    madmandan

    Dan S, Jan 25, 2004