    and it was pretty impressive.

    Anyone know where there are some reviews and comparisons of color
    laser printers?
    Poindexter, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Poindexter

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Poindexter
    <> writes
    >I've seen a couple inexpensive new laser printers advertised as "photo
    >printers". Anyone have one of these? How's the look, photographic
    >quality?
    >
    >One specifically I was looking at was the Lexmark 720n.
    >
    >I've seen the output on an expensive HP color laser on regular paper
    >and it was pretty impressive.
    >
    >Anyone know where there are some reviews and comparisons of color
    >laser printers?

    Not able to answer your question, but have similar questions myself. One
    factor always missing from manufacturers' specs is the cost per page for
    both mono and colour. A cheap printer is not so cheap if the toners are
    exorbitant (shades of 'inkjet' syndrome!). Are there any reviews that
    cover this point in some detail?
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Sep 27, 2003

  3. In article <NWBMyrDRndd$>,
    says...

    > Not able to answer your question, but have similar questions myself. One
    > factor always missing from manufacturers' specs is the cost per page for
    > both mono and colour. A cheap printer is not so cheap if the toners are
    > exorbitant (shades of 'inkjet' syndrome!). Are there any reviews that
    > cover this point in some detail?

    One of the recent PC mags in the UK had some reviews of low cost colour
    lasers this month. Epson, Minolta etc..

    Don't have the exact numbers to hand but running costs in the 6 to 9
    pence per page range rings a bell. I can check on Monday if you would
    like.

    T.
    --
    Americans think 100 years is a long time.
    Europeans think 100 miles is a long way.
    Tony Gartshore, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Poindexter

    admin Guest

    Greetings,

    "Tony Gartshore" <> wrote

    > One of the recent PC mags in the UK had some reviews of low cost colour
    > lasers this month. Epson, Minolta etc..

    Personal Computer World issue November 2003

    > Don't have the exact numbers to hand but running costs in the 6 to 9
    > pence per page range rings a bell. I can check on Monday if you would
    > like.

    seem to be cheaper than ink jet printers

    --
    Regards,

    Peter

    peteratNOSPAMhull-me.co.uk
    admin, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Poindexter

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Color Laser Printers?
    >From: Alan F Cross
    >Date: 9/27/03 11:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >In message <>, Poindexter
    ><> writes
    >>I've seen a couple inexpensive new laser printers advertised as "photo
    >>printers". Anyone have one of these? How's the look, photographic
    >>quality?
    >>
    >>One specifically I was looking at was the Lexmark 720n.
    >>
    >>I've seen the output on an expensive HP color laser on regular paper
    >>and it was pretty impressive.
    >>
    >>Anyone know where there are some reviews and comparisons of color
    >>laser printers?

    >Not able to answer your question, but have similar questions myself. One
    >factor always missing from manufacturers' specs is the cost per page for
    >both mono and colour. A cheap printer is not so cheap if the toners are
    >exorbitant (shades of 'inkjet' syndrome!). Are there any reviews that
    >cover this point in some detail?
    >--
    >Alan F Cross

    :Lexmark gets you by the inks.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Sep 27, 2003
  6. In article <>, Poindexter
    <> wrote:

    > I've seen a couple inexpensive new laser printers advertised as "photo
    > printers". Anyone have one of these? How's the look, photographic
    > quality?
    >
    > One specifically I was looking at was the Lexmark 720n.
    >
    > I've seen the output on an expensive HP color laser on regular paper
    > and it was pretty impressive.
    >
    > Anyone know where there are some reviews and comparisons of color
    > laser printers?

    Hi. As a photographer and computer consultant, I can give you some
    general guidelines:

    Quality: Color lasers have gotten much better - at one time they were
    recommended for "business documents with graphics" only. However, the
    best of them only approach, but do not exceed, the photo quality of a
    mid-priced inkjet. And the high end six or seven color inkjets are
    noticeably better.

    Cost: the price PER PAGE from color lasers is dramatically lower than
    inkjet. When you figure in the paper, you may save up to 90%. HOWEVER,
    your buy-in for supplies is much higher. It depends on the printer, but
    I've spent $400+ to load all the toner bays of some of 'em.

    Finally, if you like the high gloss of a "real" print you're not going
    to get that from a color laser.

    NOTE: The above refers to "real" color lasers - with powdered toner, a
    fuser roller, etc. Amazingly, I've hears some people call thermal
    transfer, hot wax, or dye sublimation printers "lasers".

    -- Scott Schuckert
    Scott Schuckert, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Poindexter

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <270920031941274523%>, Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > fuser roller, etc. Amazingly, I've hears some people call thermal
    > transfer, hot wax, or dye sublimation printers "lasers".

    I remember seeing a wax-transfer laser printer way back in... well, about
    the year that the Apple LaserWriter II came out... 15 years ago? Something
    like that. That sucker made some *really* pretty prints, but it cost over
    $10K back then, and it cost a few bucks per sheet to make the prints. You'd
    get three wax 'negatives' from each print - one of each in yellow, cyan and
    magenta. The negatives were almost more interesting than the print. :cool:
    Nice and glossy. Gorgeous.

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100 :cool:
    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
    <http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>
    Mike Graham, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Poindexter

    Jane Fondle Guest

    Poindexter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've seen a couple inexpensive new laser printers advertised as "photo
    > printers". Anyone have one of these? How's the look, photographic
    > quality?
    >
    > One specifically I was looking at was the Lexmark 720n.
    >
    > I've seen the output on an expensive HP color laser on regular paper
    > and it was pretty impressive.
    >
    > Anyone know where there are some reviews and comparisons of color
    > laser printers?

    They suck the shit out of my asshole.
    Jane Fondle, Sep 28, 2003
  9. Poindexter

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bl4t4f$enm$>,
    says...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > "Tony Gartshore" <> wrote
    >
    > > One of the recent PC mags in the UK had some reviews of low cost colour
    > > lasers this month. Epson, Minolta etc..

    > Personal Computer World issue November 2003
    >
    > > Don't have the exact numbers to hand but running costs in the 6 to 9
    > > pence per page range rings a bell. I can check on Monday if you would
    > > like.

    > seem to be cheaper than ink jet printers

    Just about anything is cheaper than inkjet, LOL
    Mainlander, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Images printed by color laser printers have quality levels
    akin to badly-printed magazines.

    Images printed by photo inkjet printers have quality levels
    akin to well-printed optical prints.

    Yagetwhutchawillin2pay4.

    stan
    Stanley Krute, Sep 29, 2003
  11. Poindexter

    FOR7b Guest

    >Images printed by color laser printers have quality levels
    >akin to badly-printed magazines.
    >
    >Images printed by photo inkjet printers have quality levels
    >akin to well-printed optical prints.

    Still noticeably not as smooth though as a traditional print, especially in the
    finest details such as looking at skin tones of someone that is small within
    the picture.

    FOR7b, Sep 30, 2003
  12. Poindexter

    Ed Bigelow Guest

    Laser printers offer the promise of no-clogged-nozzles and relatively
    trouble-free printing.

    So far the good ones - HP and a Minolta I have seen - were quite
    respectable, BUT:

    1 - the HP appeared a little soft.
    2 - the Minolta toner on the paper appeared glossier than the paper.
    3 - on large areas of smooth gradual pastel tones (sky), they all seem to
    occasionally leave sometimes not-so-subtle streaks in the direction of
    printing.

    Ed

    Ed Bigelow, Sep 30, 2003
  13. Poindexter

    FOR7b Guest

    >Laser printers offer the promise of no-clogged-nozzles and relatively
    >trouble-free printing.
    >
    >So far the good ones - HP and a Minolta I have seen - were quite
    >respectable, BUT:
    >
    >1 - the HP appeared a little soft.
    >2 - the Minolta toner on the paper appeared glossier than the paper.
    >3 - on large areas of smooth gradual pastel tones (sky), they all seem to
    >occasionally leave sometimes not-so-subtle streaks in the direction of
    >printing.
    >
    >Ed

    I think the best best is to go with traditional photo paper and printing
    through a Fuji Fronier or Noritsu. Properly prepared files produce the best
    quality out there minus the hassles of inkjet printing like questions of
    longevity of prints, time consumption of printing, cost, and a lack of
    continuous tone and ultimate detail. Ditto for laser, +/- other issues. Results
    I get from 4000 dpi scans through a Noritsu to Fuji Crystal Archive paper are
    the best prints I've ever made. Properly prepared files are stunning in detail
    and no noticeable detail difference compared to optical. In fact one can often
    achieve an appearance of even more detail depending on how they go about
    sharpening for print size, subject, and file size.

    FOR7b, Sep 30, 2003