Color in printing not same as on screen

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Laidlaw, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Doug Laidlaw

    Doug Laidlaw Guest

    I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
    PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
    digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
    Professional printing matches the screen.

    Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this is
    a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
    to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?

    (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
    this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little CMS"
    to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
    similar here?)

    Doug.
    --
    ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    In today's brief course

    Doug Laidlaw, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Doug Laidlaw

    Dave Guest

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
    > PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
    > digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
    > Professional printing matches the screen.
    >
    > Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this is
    > a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
    > to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
    >
    > (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
    > this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little CMS"
    > to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
    > similar here?)
    >
    > Doug.

    The Gimp

    http://www.gimp.org/

    is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
    been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
    they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
    would have the lead it does professionally.

    The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
    example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
    companies giving professional support for the program.

    The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
    it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
    binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
    don't need it unless you want to modify the program.

    *FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk+-2.4.14-setup.zip?download

    Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-i586-setup-1.zip?download

    Dave, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Doug Laidlaw

    Mark B. Guest

    "Doug Laidlaw" <> wrote in message
    >I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
    > PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
    > digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
    > Professional printing matches the screen.
    >
    > Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
    > is
    > a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
    > to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
    >
    > (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
    > this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
    > CMS"
    > to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
    > similar here?)
    >
    > Doug.
    > --
    > ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    > In today's brief course
    > Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.

    It has less to do with your software and likely more to do with calibrating
    the printer & monitor. I've never tried these products, but there are
    devices that will help calibrate your system so your prints match the
    screen:

    http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml

    They've generally gotten good comments from users on dpreview.com.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 3, 2005
  4. Doug Laidlaw

    Charlie Ih Guest

    Also make sure that the color cartriges are not outdated (expired). I
    know that HP printers cartridges are very sensitive to expiration dates.

    Charlie Ih, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Doug Laidlaw

    Doug Laidlaw Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
    >> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
    >> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
    >> Professional printing matches the screen.
    >>
    >> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
    >> is a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want
    >> to go
    >> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
    >>
    >> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
    >> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
    >> CMS"
    >> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
    >> similar here?)
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > The Gimp
    >
    > http://www.gimp.org/
    >
    > is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
    > been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
    > they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
    > would have the lead it does professionally.
    >
    > The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
    > example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
    > companies giving professional support for the program.
    >
    > The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
    > it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
    > binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
    > don't need it unless you want to modify the program.
    >
    > *FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk+-2.4.14-setup.zip?download

    > Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-i586-setup-1.zip?download

    Yes, I have the Gimp 2.05 installed (it is a standard package with Mandrake
    10.1), and i used to have it running under Windows. I noticed that 2.2 was
    out, but there are advantages in sticking with the Mandrake RPMs. I think
    that if I am going to use it, I would do it under Linux. The Windows port
    is a bit confusing. The only problem I have had with the Gimp under Linux
    is when it comes to printing - there seems to be a lot of RAM used even
    with 256K, but reasonable-sized JPEGs seem to be O.K. LittleCMS was for
    Scribus.

    I haven't really compared results, but there are 2 photos I can think of for
    comparison.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Doug.
    --
    ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and

    Doug Laidlaw, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Doug Laidlaw

    Doug Laidlaw Guest

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
    >>> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
    >>> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
    >>> Professional printing matches the screen.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that
    >>> this is a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't
    >>> want to go
    >>> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
    >>>
    >>> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows
    >>> in
    >>> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
    >>> CMS"
    >>> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
    >>> similar here?)
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >> The Gimp
    >>
    >> http://www.gimp.org/
    >>
    >> is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
    >> been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
    >> they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
    >> would have the lead it does professionally.
    >>
    >> The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
    >> example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
    >> companies giving professional support for the program.
    >>
    >> The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
    >> it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
    >> binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
    >> don't need it unless you want to modify the program.
    >>
    >> *FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk+-2.4.14-setup.zip?download

    >> Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-i586-setup-1.zip?download

    > Yes, I have the Gimp 2.05 installed (it is a standard package with
    > Mandrake
    > 10.1), and i used to have it running under Windows. I noticed that 2.2
    > was
    > out, but there are advantages in sticking with the Mandrake RPMs. I think
    > that if I am going to use it, I would do it under Linux. The Windows port
    > is a bit confusing. The only problem I have had with the Gimp under Linux
    > is when it comes to printing - there seems to be a lot of RAM used even
    > with 256K, but reasonable-sized JPEGs seem to be O.K. LittleCMS was for
    > Scribus.
    >
    > I haven't really compared results, but there are 2 photos I can think of
    > for comparison.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > Doug.

    Well, the Gimp prints in true colors, but the screen has moved towards
    green. Sounds as though I need to make the two agree. The stuff at
    http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml looks interesting.

    Doug.
    --
    ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    It's not whether you win or lose. It's where you place the blame.

    Doug Laidlaw, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Doug Laidlaw

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Doug,

    I have posted a few times on this but let me note that the use of EasyShare
    should help with your situation. Look for your printer scanner combination
    on the Kodak site

    http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

    The left side of the page should offer an option for printer settings. Go
    there and find your combination.

    Good luck, let me know if you have questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 4, 2005