    images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    info.
    JimCo
    JimCo, Oct 21, 2011

  2. JimCo

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:58:05 -0700 (PDT), JimCo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    > negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but
    > it really does not come out and say that it converts negative to
    > positive; just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are
    > not favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    > Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    > color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    > restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    > slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and
    > I can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    > positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    > images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    > info.
    > JimCo

    Irfanview has a negative mode which should work.
    Irwell, Oct 21, 2011

  3. In article <>,
    JimCo <> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    >negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but
    >it really does not come out and say that it converts negative to
    >positive; just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are
    >not favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    >Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    >color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    >restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    >slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and
    >I can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    >positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    >images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    >info.
    >JimCo

    Am I missing something? Pretty much any negative scanner scans to a positive
    image. My "Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED Film Scanner" certainly does.

    But why buy a scanner? Just take them to Ritz Camera or Walgreens
    or whatever and tell them you want your negatives put on CD. You'll
    get positive jpgs that way.
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com
    (Ted Nolan, Oct 21, 2011
  4. JimCo

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:58:05 -0700, JimCo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    > negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but it
    > really does not come out and say that it converts negative to positive;
    > just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are not
    > favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    > Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    > color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    > restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    > slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and I
    > can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    > positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    > images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    > info.
    > JimCo

    GIMP. Colors -> Invert
    ray, Oct 21, 2011
  5. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:58:05 -0700, JimCo wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    >> negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but it
    >> really does not come out and say that it converts negative to positive;
    >> just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are not
    >> favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    >> Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    >> color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    >> restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    >> slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and I
    >> can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    >> positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    >> images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    >> info.
    >> JimCo

    > GIMP. Colors -> Invert

    Well there's the negatives color mask to worry about as well, but that's all
    normally taken care of in the software that comes with any negative/slide
    scanner, or generic ones such as Vuescan.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Oct 22, 2011
  6. JimCo

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:01:02 +1100, Trevor wrote:

    > "ray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:58:05 -0700, JimCo wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    >>> negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but
    >>> it really does not come out and say that it converts negative to
    >>> positive; just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are
    >>> not favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    >>> Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    >>> color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    >>> restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    >>> slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and
    >>> I can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    >>> positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    >>> images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    >>> info.
    >>> JimCo

    >> GIMP. Colors -> Invert

    > Well there's the negatives color mask to worry about as well, but that's
    > all normally taken care of in the software that comes with any
    > negative/slide scanner, or generic ones such as Vuescan.
    >
    > Trevor.

    That would be true, I've done that with Xsane and Imagescan - however I
    get the impression from the OP that he's not using a scanner. Rather
    using digital camera to photograph the slides.
    ray, Oct 23, 2011
  7. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    >>> GIMP. Colors -> Invert

    >> Well there's the negatives color mask to worry about as well, but that's
    >> all normally taken care of in the software that comes with any
    >> negative/slide scanner, or generic ones such as Vuescan.
    >>

    > That would be true, I've done that with Xsane and Imagescan - however I
    > get the impression from the OP that he's not using a scanner. Rather
    > using digital camera to photograph the slides.

    Good point, but negatives not slides or there would be no problem. So you
    still need to compensate for the negative color mask, and you can still do
    it in Vuescan (and others) by starting with an image file rather than a
    scanner. You can do it in any photo editor such as Photoshop or Gimp too of
    course. However if he knew how to do it he wouldn't have asked I guess :)

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Oct 23, 2011
  8. JimCo

    Lucas Guest

    "JimCo" <> schreef in bericht
    > Does anyone know of a good device or program to convert color film
    > negatives to positive digital images? I've found one advertised, but
    > it really does not come out and say that it converts negative to
    > positive; just that it digitizes them. Reviews I've read about it are
    > not favorable.(It's called the Cordless Slide and Negative to Digital
    > Picture Converter, from Hammacher Schlemmer.) I need to convert some
    > color negative film strips into positive digital images so that I can
    > restore them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. My Nikon Coolpix has a
    > slide copier adapter that allows me to copy 35-mm slides to JPEG, and
    > I can use that to copy negatives as well; just not converting them to
    > positives, of course. So I can copy the negatives into JPEG negative
    > images, but I need to convert these into positive JPEGs. Thanx for any
    > info.
    > JimCo

    As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do, even your
    Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select "image", and
    execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts both ways: neg to pos
    and vice versa.
    Lucas, Oct 23, 2011
  9. "Lucas" <> wrote in message
    []
    > As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do, even
    > your Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select "image",
    > and execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts both ways:
    > neg to pos and vice versa.

    ... and what about the orange mask?

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2011
  10. JimCo

    Trevor Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Lucas" <> wrote in message
    > []
    >> As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do, even
    >> your Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select "image",
    >> and execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts both ways: neg
    >> to pos and vice versa.

    > .. and what about the orange mask?

    Add another orange mask to the inverted image.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Oct 24, 2011
  11. "Trevor" <> wrote in message

    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    > message news:j818re$pjt$...
    >> "Lucas" <> wrote in message
    >> []
    >>> As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do,
    >>> even your Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select
    >>> "image", and execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts
    >>> both ways: neg to pos and vice versa.

    >> .. and what about the orange mask?

    > Add another orange mask to the inverted image.
    >
    > Trevor.

    Thanks, Trevor. I though that all the "use the negative image" remarks
    were missing something out!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2011
  12. JimCo

    >>> .. and what about the orange mask?

    >> Add another orange mask to the inverted image.
    >>

    > Thanks, Trevor. I though that all the "use the negative image" remarks
    > were missing something out!

    Yep, as I said it's not difficult. If your negatives have a blank area at
    the start or end of the film strip, simply shoot that as well as the photo
    you are after. That will be more accurate than using software approximation
    as with most film scanner software anyway. Make sure the two exposures are
    the same of course, with no auto white balance etc.
    Or you may find simply selecting a gey tone to set color balance in your
    photo editing software is sufficient, try whatever works best for you.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Oct 24, 2011