    opening etc."
    Am I on the right track, and how do I set my printer?
    Thanks,
    John, Aug 16, 2006

  2. John

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <9zuEg.17165$>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > I use windows XP and an Epson 1280 Stylus printer. I also use PS 6.0. My
    > working space is: Adobe RGB 1998. Color management policies are: Preserve
    > embedded profiles, all are checked. Nothing is checked for "ask when
    > opening etc."
    > Am I on the right track, and how do I set my printer?
    > Thanks,

    What problem are you trying to solve? Do the photos you print look okay?
    Shawn Hirn, Aug 16, 2006

  3. John

    Guest

    John wrote:
    > I use windows XP and an Epson 1280 Stylus printer. I also use PS 6.0. My
    > working space is: Adobe RGB 1998. Color management policies are: Preserve
    > embedded profiles, all are checked. Nothing is checked for "ask when
    > opening etc."
    > Am I on the right track, and how do I set my printer?
    > Thanks,

    Call me a heretic, but I'm inclined to agree with Shawn's question,
    having travelled the color management path once and got very sick of
    it...

    To me, the final print is what needs to look good. So before going
    into the realm of full color management, if setting up a new system I
    would:
    1. Set the monitor up for decent gamma and black/white point.
    2. Forget the monitor for a while, and then simply play with the
    printer driver to adjust the printer output using one of the many test
    images out there (the ones that have gamma strips, flesh tones, typical
    images with lots of dynamic range, etc..) Save those settings.
    3. Now, go back and look at your monitor again, and see if you need to
    tweak it to get close to the final print.

    If you are unsatisfied, *then* think about color management... The
    advantage of not using color management is that:
    - it's easier and you may retain your sanity (your mileage may vary,
    and others will have different opinions, which is fine (O:)
    - everything you print, no matter what program and no matter if it does
    or doesn't use c/m, should be consistent..

    The disadvantage - you can *probably* get better results by using color
    management. How much? Hmmmm.... I'll leave others to advise on
    that. (O;

    Try here for a reasonable but very comprehensive approach, and there
    are links to some sample images you might like if you hunt around:

    http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html

    Good luck!
    , Aug 16, 2006
  4. John

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Try here for a reasonable but very comprehensive approach, and there
    > are links to some sample images you might like if you hunt around:
    >
    > http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html

    And I hope Normam won't mind if I quote him from the first paragraph on
    that page:

    "If you limit your operations to your own well-characterized equipment
    and follow the procedures outlined in Monitor calibration (link) and
    Printer calibration (link), you can get reasonably good results without
    color management.:"

    So follow those links first, and then see how you feel..
    , Aug 16, 2006
  5. John

    Roy G Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I use windows XP and an Epson 1280 Stylus printer. I also use PS 6.0. My
    >working space is: Adobe RGB 1998. Color management policies are:
    >Preserve embedded profiles, all are checked. Nothing is checked for "ask
    >when opening etc."
    > Am I on the right track, and how do I set my printer?
    > Thanks,

    Hi there.

    Your Colour Setting policies are not correect.

    They would not be so bad if you were using PsCS, because it can work in 2
    Spaces at the same time, (sort of), but 6 doesn't have that ability.

    I presume you are using Epson Inks in your 1280/1290, otherwise you need to
    acquire customised ICC profiles for your Printer.

    For a Colour Managed Workflow, have a look at Ayr Photo Society website
    www.ayrphoto.co.uk and got to "Notices and Info" then to "How to Print for
    Accurate Colour".

    There is enough there to get you up and running, but it is not
    comprehensive, and a bit more study would be advised. One site, out of many,
    is www.computer-darkroom.com which has lots of very good articles and
    advice, but some of it may go a bit too deep into the theory.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Aug 16, 2006