    What is the equivilent Nikon software that would do the same thing?

    Thanks

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. [BnH] Guest

    I believe Ed was using a Canon DPP ?
    Nikon equivalent will be the Nikon Capture NX or if you are looking for a
    free alternatives, Pixmantec RawShooter Essential is very good [and fast]

    [BnH], Aug 15, 2006

  3. tomm42 Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear experts,
    >
    > After years of shooting film cameras, I've recently
    > bought a digital SLR. A Nikon D70S.
    >
    > I've also bought the three color calibration target.
    > White, gray, black, and have been watching the DVD.
    > http://www.photovisionvideo.com/target.html
    >
    > The technique by Ed Pierce is impressive.
    >
    > He is using Canon's software to quickly change the color balance.
    >
    > What is the equivilent Nikon software that would do the same thing?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you are using Photoshop or Elements Adobe has a RAW opener. Works
    well, the Nikon Capture NX has some out of this world features, but you
    still needx Photoshop to finalize the image. Phase One's Capture 1 is
    also a well thought of program.

    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 15, 2006
  4. bmoag Guest

    You really need to learn to use an image processing program with color
    management, Adobe Elements/CS2 or PaintshopPro. For real world color
    management calibrating your monitor and using an image processing program
    properly is more important than using calibration targets. Photographing a
    target will provide calibration data only for the specific circumstances of
    that shoot. For studio work that can be valuable but is irrelevant to
    general photography. If you learn to shoot raw, and I do not see a reason to
    use a dSLR otherwise (the D70 is a fantastic raw camera when you learn to
    use it and software correctly), you will understand why photographing
    targets is irrelevant apart from reproducible, controlled lighting
    conditions. In reality trying to calibrate a scanner with specific targets
    is not really necessary and, in fact, not reliable for general use, although
    not everyone will agree on that. If you are shooting film under controlled
    circumstances using the same batch that will be developed the same way then
    including a calibration target on each roll can be helpful. However if you
    understand color management that step may not prove all that useful.

    bmoag, Aug 15, 2006