Colocation: streaming and bandwidht requirements

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by sireg, Mar 9, 2010.

  1. sireg

    sireg

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Hi guy,

    My company is looking to do some live streaming and had some questions on bandwidth requirements. From calculations based on adobe's website

    Code:
    Sample calculation
    Calculating server bandwidth needs (BWs):
    BWs = N × S
    N = number of simultaneous users (subscribers)
    S = average bitrate of encoded A/V content

    500 Mbps = 1000 × 500 Kbps

    Our Needs
    350Mbps = 1000 x 350 Kbps

    Does this mean we need at least a 1Gig connection in the colo to be able to serve at 1000 users? or am I interpreting it wrong?

    I was quoted 10k/m for a 1gig and 900/m for a 100mb line

    sireg, Mar 9, 2010