    position in the US? I would like to hear other opinions.

    Thanks,

    greensky

    Guest, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Am I right? Can the person who has lot of experience and
    >certifications and has no college degree still can promote to management
    >position in the US?

    People with 'lots' of real world experience will always succeed, with
    or without a college/university degree.

    As for certification, well, any company that puts ms certification
    above a college/university degree or 'real world' experience is being
    run by a bunch of crazy folk.

    As for being promoted to management, well I can tell you, management
    is a completely different skill set. A good technical Joe seldom makes
    a good manager.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    T-Bone Guest

    <greensky> wrote
    > In the IT world, which one of college degree or certification is more
    > important, provided the person has enough job experience in the field?

    I would say college. Start with google 101 so we don't go through this whole
    discussion thread again.
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> say in news:eL7Oky3FGHA.2652
    @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > I would say college.

    coolege as in "Community College" or are we speaking of "Bachelor's
    degree" acredited College (aka University)?

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Life to you is a dashing, bold adventure. So sing and rejoice.

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Kline Sphere <.@> say in

    > As for certification, well, any company that puts ms certification
    > above a college/university degree or 'real world' experience is being
    > run by a bunch of crazy folk.

    Al Quida's hiring?

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Open mouth, insert foot, echo internationally.

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Guest

    > A good technical Joe seldom makes
    > a good manager.

    different skill sets.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Success of those we dislike proves that luck exists.

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did you hear <greensky> say in

    > My
    > guessing are college degree (above associate or bachelor) can
    > advantage to get management position, and certification can advantage
    > to get technical position. Am I right?

    I don't know about management, but for job interviews where there is no
    real world experience, I would venture that a BS of ComSci would be
    better than an MCSE. I have absolutely NO imperical evidence to base this
    on and each individual should be evaluated on their own merits, but there
    is something about having attended an accerdited University and obtained
    a degree that says you can learn. I'm not sure the same can be said for
    some MCSE's.

    That being said, I don't have the degree and have had to get my real
    world expereince the hard way - doing relatively meanial jobs (break fix,
    desktop installs, up to netowrk installs, up to net designs all without
    my MCSE) and working my way up. I got the MCSE (8 years ago or so) and it
    has been helpful, but I think I would have done ok without it. I just
    want to go back to Uni and get my degree now.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Be all you could have been - join the Time Commandos!

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Guest

    Lasher Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in

    But I can get that online. Fully accreditited and 110% br@indump free!

    --
    Lasher
    MCNGP 110010

    Lasher, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >coolege as in "Community College" or are we speaking of "Bachelor's
    >degree" acredited College (aka University)?

    I'd say 'accredited'

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I have absolutely NO imperical evidence to base this
    >on and each individual should be evaluated on their own merit

    Well, I speak from the software development side of IT. Neither here
    in the uk or in the States have I seen companies prepared to recruit
    entry level people without [at least] BS.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006
  11. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Lasher <> say in

    > But I can get that online. Fully accreditited and 110% br@indump free!

    yeah, and you don't have to attend classes or write exams. I got that email
    too...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Smorgasborg: All you can assimilate for $4.99

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Guest

    > I'd say 'accredited'

    <fx=fes>
    "I SAY GOODAY!
    </fx>

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Guest

    > BS.

    something we know yer full of....

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Get college degree, then certification.

    --
    Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

    Bill McPherson, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >> BS.
    >
    >something we know yer full of....

    me and everyone else here

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006
  16. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Bill McPherson" <> say in

    > Get college degree, then certification.

    and real world experience too. then you're a shoe-in

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP#30

    - Don't worry, I don't think it's poisonous.

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Guest

    >>> BS.

    >>something we know yer full of....

    > me and everyone else here
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    well, I have my Masters in that....

    Neil, Jan 12, 2006
  18. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >well, I have my Masters in that....

    My paper on grilling burgers at room temperature won me the nobel
    prize in Physics.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Guest

    kpg Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> said something like

    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\185801.htm (1/12/2006
    > 10:03:19 AM) # did you hear "Bill McPherson"
    > <> say in
    >
    >> Get college degree, then certification.

    > and real world experience too. then you're a shoe-in

    I thought that was s shoo-in?

    Oh! You mean like Al bundy.

    kpg, Jan 12, 2006
  20. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Get laid, go to college, get laid some more, get drunk, get college degree, keep getting laid, get even more drunk, forget about certification and go to University, get laid even more, ...

    ifypfu

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 12, 2006