    Old Gringo38 Guest

    http://goo.gl/zLE4C
    --
    11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo38, Nov 12, 2010

  2. "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message news:1d248qwo6rag.134q81mubsroe$...
    > http://goo.gl/zLE4C
    > --
    > 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
    > Just West Of Nowhere
    > Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    > Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt tv.
    i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every other time. happy days!
    its the must have item of the decade!

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 12, 2010

  3. Old Gringo38

    philo Guest

    "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    > "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
    >> --
    >> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    > 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
    > tv.
    > i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
    > other time. happy days!
    > its the must have item of the decade!

    I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
    thought it was pretty neat.

    I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    philo, Nov 12, 2010
  4. "philo" <> wrote in message news:ibk0af$flg$...

    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >> "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
    >>> --
    >>> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    >> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
    >> tv.
    >> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
    >> other time. happy days!
    >> its the must have item of the decade!
    >>

    > I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
    > thought it was pretty neat.

    it was neat, if a little slow.

    > I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 12, 2010
  5. Old Gringo38

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:41 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > http://goo.gl/zLE4C

    Ahh yes, the good old days. I remember only too well of the need of having
    to store programs on cassette tapes.

    I don't recall off hand who first offered a floppy, but my Atari 800 had
    one. 5.25" style.

    Did you know the floppy disk was invented well before the first "home"
    computers?
    In 1950 by a Japanese inventor.

    My first machine was an Atari 400 and it came installed with MS-DOS and you
    had to buy "BASIC" seperately, as I recall.

    After I found the power and capabilities of the Amiga, I tried talking my
    father into buying one. But no, he wouldn't bite. Instead, for a birthday
    present, he shows up with a machine that has some new fangled thing in it
    called windows 3.1.

    While he was satisfied with his Commodore 64.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  6. Old Gringo38

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:16:33 -0600, philo wrote:

    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >> "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C
    >>> --
    >>> 11/12/2010 11:37:00 AM CST
    >>> Just West Of Nowhere
    >>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>> Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have

    >> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
    >> tv.
    >> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
    >> other time. happy days!
    >> its the must have item of the decade!
    >>

    > I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
    > thought it was pretty neat.
    >
    > I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    I've seen that one and never did like it. Cost too much for what you got.
    I started learning computers in 1978 when Radio Shack began selling them in
    stores.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  7. Old Gringo38

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
    >>> tv.
    >>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
    >>> other time. happy days!
    >>> its the must have item of the decade!
    >>>

    >> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
    >> thought it was pretty neat.
    >>

    > it was neat, if a little slow.
    >
    >> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    > me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.

    The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris

    works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

    philo, Nov 12, 2010
  8. Old Gringo38

    philo Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:16:33 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Old Gringo38" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> 8k mem, obsolete cpu, no input devices. will have to dig out an old crt
    >>> tv.
    >>> i remember tapes from having a spectrum. 'r:01 tape loading error' every
    >>> other time. happy days!
    >>> its the must have item of the decade!
    >>>

    >> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs...
    >> thought it was pretty neat.
    >>
    >> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    > I've seen that one and never did like it. Cost too much for what you got.
    > I started learning computers in 1978 when Radio Shack began selling them
    > in
    > stores.

    They were a few hundred dollars when they first came out...but I waited
    until they had come down to $50

    I ended up selling mine at a rummage sale for $25...the game port had burned
    out

    philo, Nov 12, 2010
  9. Old Gringo38

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:34:23 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:41 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> http://goo.gl/zLE4C

    > Ahh yes, the good old days. I remember only too well of the need of having
    > to store programs on cassette tapes.
    >
    > I don't recall off hand who first offered a floppy, but my Atari 800 had
    > one. 5.25" style.
    >
    > Did you know the floppy disk was invented well before the first "home"
    > computers?
    > In 1950 by a Japanese inventor.
    >
    > My first machine was an Atari 400 and it came installed with MS-DOS and you
    > had to buy "BASIC" seperately, as I recall.
    >
    > After I found the power and capabilities of the Amiga, I tried talking my
    > father into buying one. But no, he wouldn't bite. Instead, for a birthday
    > present, he shows up with a machine that has some new fangled thing in it
    > called windows 3.1.
    >
    > While he was satisfied with his Commodore 64.

    My first experience with a computer was Dos 6, and shortly there
    after came Win 95 I thought I was in heaven. :)
    --
    11/12/2010 1:52:53 PM CST

    Old Gringo38, Nov 12, 2010
  10. Old Gringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:48:25 -0600, philo wrote:

    > "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message

    >>> I had a TI-99/4 that used a cassette tape to store programs... thought
    >>> it was pretty neat.
    >>>

    >> it was neat, if a little slow.
    >>
    >>> I got rid of it an never owned a computer again untill 1999

    >> me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.
    >>

    > The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris
    >
    > works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

    I have a game like Asteroids. I think that's the old arcade game. It's a
    triangle on the screen that you move around and shoot boulders and try to
    avoid getting hit with the pieces. Works great in wine.

    Meat Plow, Nov 12, 2010
  11. Old Gringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:57:58 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:34:23 -0700, richard wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:37:41 -0600, Old Gringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://goo.gl/zLE4C

    >> Ahh yes, the good old days. I remember only too well of the need of
    >> having to store programs on cassette tapes.
    >>
    >> I don't recall off hand who first offered a floppy, but my Atari 800
    >> had one. 5.25" style.
    >>
    >> Did you know the floppy disk was invented well before the first "home"
    >> computers?
    >> In 1950 by a Japanese inventor.
    >>
    >> My first machine was an Atari 400 and it came installed with MS-DOS and
    >> you had to buy "BASIC" seperately, as I recall.
    >>
    >> After I found the power and capabilities of the Amiga, I tried talking
    >> my father into buying one. But no, he wouldn't bite. Instead, for a
    >> birthday present, he shows up with a machine that has some new fangled
    >> thing in it called windows 3.1.
    >>
    >> While he was satisfied with his Commodore 64.

    > My first experience with a computer was Dos 6, and shortly there after
    > came Win 95 I thought I was in heaven. :)

    DR DOS 3 something here. IBM PDS database of sorts. Programmed in Basic.
    On a 386 with Basic ROM.

    Meat Plow, Nov 12, 2010
  12. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:48:25 -0600, philo wrote:
    >
    >> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message
    >>> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>> it was neat, if a little slow.

    >>> me too. now when i wanna play the old games i jus fire up an emulator.
    >>>

    >> The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris
    >>
    >> works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

    > I have a game like Asteroids. I think that's the old arcade game. It's a
    > triangle on the screen that you move around and shoot boulders and try to
    > avoid getting hit with the pieces. Works great in wine.
    >

    > --
    > Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

    look up MAME it emulates a lot of those old arcade games.

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Nov 12, 2010
  13. Old Gringo38

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:23:28 +0000, Zu Arsschlaark! wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:48:25 -0600, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Zu Arsschlaark!" <> wrote in message

    >>> The only game I play is the win3x version of Tetris
    >>>
    >>> works fine in Wine on my Linux machine

    >> I have a game like Asteroids. I think that's the old arcade game. It's
    >> a triangle on the screen that you move around and shoot boulders and
    >> try to avoid getting hit with the pieces. Works great in wine.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

    > look up MAME it emulates a lot of those old arcade games.

    Yeh my 18 yr old kid has a lot of emulators on our storage server.

    That kid had it made growing up. All the current gaming platforms
    that technology could offer, Apple and PC computers networked. Wonder why
    he turned out so lazy?

    Meat Plow, Nov 13, 2010