Collections Improvement

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Disillusioned_01, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Anyboby aware of any MS initiative to provide an c++ STL
    stle Lib withc# Generics coming in .net 2.0!?(I guessed it)

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Disillusioned_01

    UAError Guest

    "Disillusioned_01" <> wrote:

    >Anyboby aware of any MS initiative to provide an c++ STL
    >stle Lib withc# Generics coming in .net 2.0!?(I guessed it)

    There will be a generics version of the collections in the

    System.Collections.Generics

    namespace ,that much was suggested in Juval Lowy's article
    "An Introduction to C# Generics" from August 2003

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/csharp_generics.asp

    but nothing approaching the STL.

    Generic Containers should perform better and are inherently
    typesafe (no casting required).

    You have to keep in mind that generics are not templates. If
    I understand it correctly generics are not a feature of the
    implementation language but of the IL - it would follow that
    the generic data type is only expanded once the IL is
    compiled to native code - delaying the potential bloat as
    long as possible.

    Generics only allow types as template parameters - so some
    of the meta-programming stunts that Alexandrescu pulled in
    his LOKI library just aren't possible with generics.

    Meanwhile some people having been using this 'freeware
    template-based code generator'

    http://www.ericjsmith.net/codesmith/

    to fill their needs.

    Anyway read the above article and judge for yourself.

    UAError, Jun 8, 2004