    code. I hesitate to use managed code in case the .NET Framework will not be
    installed on the target system, although I don't know how likely that would
    be for someone with the 64-bit Windows OS.

    Michael Harvey, Aug 15, 2006

  2. I don't know if anyone thought about this problem, but I want to post my
    solution. It seems if you are using the COleDateTime class in your unmanaged
    WIN32 programs, you cannot port that over to a WIN64 program, as it does not
    exist there. My solution is to keep the parts of the application that use
    COleDateTime as WIN32 programs and use the COPYDATA Windows message to allow
    handshaking with the WIN64 programs. I don't know if there is any easier
    way. I would be interested in hearing about any suggestions.

    Michael Harvey, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Unless, impractical in your situation, if using '.NET' helps, I would
    consider testing for the existance and provide for an alternative after
    that. I don't know how x64 handles 'Environment Variables', that's usually a
    pretty straightforward way to deal with [Inter Process Communication] I
    think they used to call it.

    Probably nothing wrong with 'COPYDATA', but it doesn't sound right, there
    has to be time related functions to deal with this? Otherwise, how would you
    be dealing with the different time formats that are used all around? Without
    them, if this is to be network aware, you might have to do real-time
    conversion otherwise.

    Also, I think MS went and abandoned the term OLE, and put it all under the
    COM paradigm, you might try and dig through there and see if other solutions
    show up?

    Take this with a grain of salt - loose thoughts from an old DOS guy.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2006
  4. I've looked all around for something to replace COleDateTime in 64-bit.
    There's nothing for unmanaged code, but there is something superior in .NET
    Framework that handles regional differences much better. However, I don't
    want to assume that it's installed. Eventually I guess .NET Framework will
    not be optional and then I will use it.

    Regarding COPYDATA I already have handshaking between 16-bit and 32-bit
    programs in 32-bit OS so it is easy to make it work between 32-bit and
    64-bit programs.

    Michael Harvey, Sep 2, 2006