    like sci fi Guest

    How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    like sci fi, Dec 24, 2003

  2. like sci fi

    Jim Townsend Guest

    like sci fi wrote:

    > How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    > and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    I once dropped an LCD watch on my home sidewalk just outside my door. It stayed
    out overnight at thirty below zero F. I found it the next day. The display
    was faint, but I thawed it out and it worked fine from there after.

    I've *heard* of instances where an LCD display has fractured from the cold.
    But I've only heard this. I can't quote any real instances.

    I had an old Pro90 out on a tripod for 10 minutes at 20 below F in a very
    strong wind. The display started having a lot of trouble keeping up with what
    the camera was seeing. It got very jerky. Despite that, all the shots I took
    came out OK.

    I think the major thing you will see when shooting in very cold weather is the
    battery going dead prematurely. Cold has a big impact on batteries.

    Out of interest, I had my 10D out tonight for about 5 minutes on a tripod at 14
    degrees F.. No wind.

    It worked just fine.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 24, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    like sci fi <> wrote:

    > How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    > and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    There's no harm but the liquid gets very thick. It might take several
    seconds for the image to change.

    As another mentioned, low battery voltage is usually the problem. Bring
    two sets and store one in an inside pocket so you always have a warm set
    ready.

    A bonus is that pixels leak much less. You can take excellent long
    exposures at night.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 24, 2003
  4. like sci fi

    David Barnes Guest

    I've used my Fuji MX-2900 down to -26 Celsius with no ill effects other than
    reduced battery time. LCD was fine although didn't use it much in those
    temps as it drains the battery even more.

    --
    Regards,
    Dave

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/davidjohnbarnes/
    http://www.kidzkargo.co.uk/
    http://www.in-and-about.co.uk/
    http://www.lamanga-golf.com/

    David Barnes, Dec 24, 2003
  5. like sci fi

    Shaun Lowe Guest

    I think it varies from camera to camera. I've used a Kodak DX3900
    at -20C for around four hours. While the lcd & the camera did slow
    down, it wasn't as significant as what some have said of their lcd's, ie
    several seconds for the image to change or to navigate menus.

    Regards,

    Shaun Lowe
    http://www.pbase.com/shaun

    Shaun Lowe, Dec 24, 2003
  6. like sci fi

    like sci fi Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I won't throw out my OM-1 yet but I'll give
    it a try. Have an extra battery since that is always a problem.
    Thanks again.

    like sci fi, Dec 24, 2003
  7. like sci fi <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    > and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    Here's my list of top-3 problems with digicams in cold weather:

    1) Batteries
    - As others have already described, keep a spare battery in warm
    inside pocket. When the one in camera dies, swap in a warm one and
    place the cold battery in pocket. When the new battery dies in turn,
    swap it again and surprise as the old battery has regained most of its
    power (naturally this applies only to batteries that die because of
    the cold temperature).
    If you shoot in freezing temperatures often, you could also buy an
    external battery that connects to the camera with a cord (you keep the
    battery in inside pocket and the other end of the cord has an
    ac-adapter like dummy-battery that goes to the camera).
    There are also differences in battery types: rechargeable li-ion
    batteries lose their power quickly, non-rechargeable li-ion batteries
    withstand cold extremely well. Ni-Cd batteries are the better the
    colder it gets, whereas Ni-MH starts to lose power fast.

    2) Condensation
    - Electronics and water do not mix well. However, that is what happens
    when you take a cold camera inside to a warm room: condensation builds
    astonishing amounts of moisture inside and outside the camera. You can
    avoid this by storing also your camera in the inside pocket and only
    take it out for occasional photographs, but if you shoot with DSLR
    and/or for prolonged periods, this may not be possible. In that case
    the best solution is to wrap the camera in a plastic bag, compress all
    air out of the bag, seal it tightly and only then bring the camera
    inside. Do not open your camera bag, let alone the plastic bag
    containing the camera, until the temperature has normalized (i.e. the
    temperature of the camera is near room temperature - the change may
    take hours).

    3) LCD Screen
    - Sluggish LCD screen is annoying, but you can take photos without the
    lcd so that is not a great problem. I have heard of some lcd's
    cracking in extreme cold, but that is probably very rare as I have
    never seen a cracked lcd.

    Yesterday we had -20C (-4F) and sometimes the temperature is as low as
    -30C (-22F), so taking photos in cold weather is quite usual here. In
    addition to the problems mentioned above, there are also others but
    those are quite minor (such as the badly placed on/off -switch in
    Canon D/SLR bodies: when you breath, warm air starts to build ice on
    the switch).

    -Antti

    Antti Heiskanen, Dec 25, 2003
  8. >How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    >and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    My wife and I took my 5 year old son to the zoo here in Birmingham last Sunday
    night for their Zoolight Safari and laser light show. We were there for about 3
    hours. I made several shots during that time with no problems.

    It was about 35 degrees F that night.

    -----
    Kerry Sanders
    http://photos.pshack.com/

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 26, 2003
  9. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:15:30 -0600, Kerry Sanders
    <> wrote:

    >>How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    >>and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    >My wife and I took my 5 year old son to the zoo here in Birmingham last Sunday
    >night for their Zoolight Safari and laser light show. We were there for about 3
    >hours. I made several shots during that time with no problems.
    >
    >It was about 35 degrees F that night.

    Night? 35F.... Maybe we'll see it get that nice in another 3 months.
    <:))

    OTOH, I can look at it this way. In around 3 months the weather will
    be this good again.

    I carry my E20 N around outside in single digit temps. The only
    concession I've had to make is carry a spare set of batteries around
    in an inside jacket pocket. I usually keep them in the little plastic
    snap carriers, or warp a rubber band around them. Li-Ion tend to
    discharge rapidly when the temps are in single digits, even faster
    when there is a minus sign in front of the digit, but they seem to
    revive in my pocket.

    I've never had any problem with the LCD screen in cold, although I
    rarely use it. OTOH they can be easily damaged on a hot summer day if
    left in a closed car. I've seen them turn completely black.
    Sometimes they recover and some times they don't. I think it's a case
    of just how high a temperature they reached.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Dec 26, 2003
  10. like sci fi

    Stewy Guest

    "Kerry Sanders" <> wrote in message
    > >How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    > >and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    > My wife and I took my 5 year old son to the zoo here in Birmingham last

    Sunday
    > night for their Zoolight Safari and laser light show. We were there for

    about 3
    > hours. I made several shots during that time with no problems.
    >
    > It was about 35 degrees F that night.

    Most electrical equipment is designed to operate between about 0C and 40C.
    (32F-110F) with a 5 or 10% leeway. Anything below about -10C and you should
    start to worry about battery activity more than screens, also to lubricating
    oil will begin to congeal.

    Stewy, Dec 27, 2003
  11. like sci fi

    Pygmi Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message

    > "Kerry Sanders" <> wrote in message
    > > >How sensitive to cold are LCD screens. Can they be harmed by cold
    > > >and how cold will most digital cameras still funciton. Thanks.

    > > My wife and I took my 5 year old son to the zoo here in Birmingham last

    > Sunday
    > > night for their Zoolight Safari and laser light show. We were there for

    > about 3
    > > hours. I made several shots during that time with no problems.
    > >
    > > It was about 35 degrees F that night.
    > >

    > Most electrical equipment is designed to operate between about 0C and 40C.
    > (32F-110F) with a 5 or 10% leeway. Anything below about -10C and you

    should
    > start to worry about battery activity more than screens, also to

    lubricating
    > oil will begin to congeal.

    I have used for years Nikon F801 (ok, not digital, but very much electrical)
    in cold. Works fine at least down to -30C (below -20F) using external
    batteries under my clothing. And yes, the first thing to worry about, is the
    batteries. And the photographer.
    In digital cameras I would also worry about the LCD, although I have not
    heard about damages because extreme cold. Another issue is whether you
    can see something from that LCD screen in very low temps.

    I have used my A70 down to -10..-15C, no problems so far. But from my
    point of view this is not very cold. And I did not have my A70 exposed for
    the cold for very long times as I do with my old Nikon F801 SLR's...

    Remains to be seen...

    Pygmi

    Pygmi, Dec 27, 2003
  12. like sci fi

    Kimberlee Guest

    Not sure whether it's at all made the same, but I've left my Palm Pilot out
    in the car at -40(f), brought it in, warmed it up and it's been fine.
    Of course, I would *never* forget my camera the way I do the Palm...but ...

    As others have said, a main concern is condensation.
    Or, smacking the camera when it's too cold, which could easily cause
    something to snap or shatter.
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Dec 27, 2003
  13. >>It was about 35 degrees F that night.

    >Night? 35F.... Maybe we'll see it get that nice in another 3 months.
    ><:))

    Yea... I thought about that after I hit send. I got to thinking... these guys
    are talking single digits... not 35 degrees. :)

    -----
    Kerry Sanders
    http://photos.pshack.com/

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 29, 2003
  14. like sci fi

    Kimberlee Guest

    Hey! It's supposed to warm up here (Fairbanks) to 0 this week!
    Yippeeeee~ Grab the sun screen!
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Dec 29, 2003
  15. like sci fi

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Kimberlee wrote:
    > Hey! It's supposed to warm up here (Fairbanks) to 0 this week!
    > Yippeeeee~ Grab the sun screen!
    > ~Kimberlee

    If it gets too warm for you, you're welcome to come
    to Winnipeg :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 29, 2003
  16. like sci fi

    Kimberlee Guest

    ~;-)
    I prefer it between 0 and 20 (in the wintertime, anyway), believe it or not.
    When it gets much warmer than that, the roads get a little dicey!
    Never been to Winnipeg. Maybe I'll get there one of these days.
    ~Kimberlee

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message
    : Hi...
    :
    : Kimberlee wrote:
    : > Hey! It's supposed to warm up here (Fairbanks) to 0 this week!
    : > Yippeeeee~ Grab the sun screen!
    : > ~Kimberlee
    : >
    :

    Kimberlee, Dec 30, 2003
  17. On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:38:20 GMT, "Kimberlee"
    <Kimberlee@delete~to~SENDMAILhotmail.com> wrote:

    >~;-)
    >I prefer it between 0 and 20 (in the wintertime, anyway), believe it or not.
    >When it gets much warmer than that, the roads get a little dicey!
    >Never been to Winnipeg. Maybe I'll get there one of these days.
    >~Kimberlee

    All I have to do is read a post from one of you folks "Up North" when
    I've been grousing about Michigan Weather and I feel nice and cozy.
    Almost warm. <:))

    Roger Halstead, Dec 30, 2003
  18. like sci fi

    Roe Thomas Guest

    And your point is???? Roe

    Roe Thomas, Dec 30, 2003
  19. like sci fi

    Kimberlee Guest

    Today it's +20. Works for me!!!
    ~Kimberlee

    "Roger Halstead" <> wrote in message
    : On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:38:20 GMT, "Kimberlee"
    : <Kimberlee@delete~to~SENDMAILhotmail.com> wrote:
    :
    : >~;-)
    : >I prefer it between 0 and 20 (in the wintertime, anyway), believe it or
    not.
    : >When it gets much warmer than that, the roads get a little dicey!
    : >Never been to Winnipeg. Maybe I'll get there one of these days.
    : >~Kimberlee
    : >
    : All I have to do is read a post from one of you folks "Up North" when
    : I've been grousing about Michigan Weather and I feel nice and cozy.
    : Almost warm. <:))
    :
    : Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    : >:
    : >: Kimberlee wrote:
    : >: > Hey! It's supposed to warm up here (Fairbanks) to 0 this week!
    : >: > Yippeeeee~ Grab the sun screen!
    : >: > ~Kimberlee
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: If it gets too warm for you, you're welcome to come
    : >: to Winnipeg :)
    : >:
    : >: Take care.
    : >:
    : >: Ken
    : >:
    : >:
    : >:
    : >:
    : >
    :

    Kimberlee, Dec 31, 2003
  20. On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:34:50 GMT, "Kimberlee"
    <Kimberlee@delete~to~SENDMAILhotmail.com> wrote:

    >Today it's +20. Works for me!!!

    Tis a veritable heat wave! <:))

    OTOH our winters are nothing like they used to be. We *might* get
    snowed in once or twice a winter for a day, maybe two, but where we
    now get drifts of a foot or so, we used to have 5 and 6 foot drifts
    right out here in the flat lands. One of those 18 wheelers got stuck
    about a mile from where I used to live and 8 hours later it was
    completely covered. That was nearly 40 years ago. Course in the flat
    lands the snow from the nearest two or three miles drifts around
    anything that obstructs it. The last 5 foot drifts I saw were right
    here in town in 1984.

    Roger Halstead, Dec 31, 2003