    Lucky for me, I had a spare inverter in my box of tricks, so in five minutes I had the cold cathode tubes hooked up and running again.

    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
    bigal, Mar 24, 2006

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i say, maybe two cathodes is to much for it :|

    unholy, Mar 25, 2006

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Perhaps, but it came with two cold cathodes installed (non-removable until you pull the case apart).

    bigal, Mar 25, 2006
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    maybe its "el cheapo"

    and they cooked whilist they were consealed inside the power supply :p

    unholy, Mar 25, 2006
  5. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    This is something that's been noted in the past, there were a bunch of manufacturers (probably cheap outfits selling the same crappy Taiwaneese junk) and this was happening a lot.

    Stick to reputable brand name CCFL's.

    The Modfather, Mar 26, 2006
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Like who? Logisys, Thermaltake, what?? There are lots of "cheap" cold cathode manufacturers. This is actually the first failed inverter for me, so I'm not complaining. Especially when you look at the cheap prices I get dual kits for at www.SVC.com .

    bigal, Mar 26, 2006
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    There is only one company i would trust for a CCFL invertor, and that would have to be CM, but then again all invertors are cheaply made.

    unholy, Mar 27, 2006
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Normally there's a rule of thumb to go by.

    If the inverter is blue, it's a 50/50 chance it's bad.

    If the inverter is black it should be alright.

    Though that could have changed in the past 6 months.

    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  9. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The one that failed was black. I wouldn't go by case color.

    bigal, Mar 27, 2006
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Come on baby light my fire!

    Oh, I see...:ball:

    "
    I've heard about this alot - at www.casemodgod.com they have a rant about it - two guys inverters started smoking then instantly exploded, one started a fire, which made me sceptical about buying CCFL's. I started thinking, and everytime ive heard about this its been when 2 of them are plugged into the inveter. I was (and might) buy the 2 blue CCFL pack from here, xoxide, seeing how it's only 8 bucks, but it says "cranked up to have 30,000 hour life and maximum brightness" or something like that.. which I'd think is more energy or mA, so im sceptical about them...."

    By the way - Case Mod God is down right now. I hope somebody didn't wipe out their forums.

    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yes, I noticed, when I went looking for the CCFL problem threads, CMG was the first link and I just clicked on it for the hell of it and noticed they were down. I see he's using Nuke, which is something I suggested that he do like over a year ago (before all of the hackers started taking down all the Nuke sites and I wized up and switched to Joomla) so it's likely he got hacked <sarcasm> I am SO SORRY for that</sarcasm>...

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Dont be mean modfather give them back their site, just have an Announcement "dont trust the Admins"

    As for the problem, i have never faced it, nor has anyone i met except you Al, i think its the Cheapo Kits you can buy with Dual CCFL's, I recommend buying a Single Kit and then buying a second, its less problems in the long run :)

    unholy, Mar 28, 2006
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Personally I've never had any CCFL problems, single or dual, blue or black inverters, no problems at all.

    I didn't take their site down, don't even joke about that because if it WAS hacked I'd be a suspect considering those scumballs had my site taken down. I don't want them to have ANY reason to suspect me.

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It was probably karma...what goes around comes around.

    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Why... Who did you kill this time Al?

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...all my mortal enemies. It took a few minutes, but it was worth it.

    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    You have WMD's? :)

    Now we know where those pesky things disappeared to, give 'em back!

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Speaking of WMD, did you hear that dirty bomb material was snuck into our country a couple of times as a test of the monitoring systems? Nothing like giving the terrorists some more ideas....

    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  20. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Are you guys planning on stopping Iran any time soon? Because we all know they're planning something, they've just been stalling.

    XhArD, Mar 29, 2006