    get settled in for the long haul? They appear to be riding the
    browser coat-tails. Any other suggestions would be appreciated,
    too.

    dunc, Dec 19, 2009

  2. dunc

    dunc Guest

    On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:01:19 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:16:10 -0800, dunc <>wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a couple of unwanted visitors on my hard drive. Spybot
    >>S&D gets them gone, but they return. Is there any way to schedule
    >>an anti-virus scan on boot-up? That might find them before they
    >>get settled in for the long haul? They appear to be riding the
    >>browser coat-tails. Any other suggestions would be appreciated,
    >>too.

    >You might be root-kitted. Spy Hunter will detect and remove root-kits
    >in order to install its demo version. Malwarebytes also provides free
    >removal but not continued real time protection unless purchased.
    >
    >I use Malwarebytes real time protection and it often catches trojans
    >and other nasties while Eset NOD 32 antivirus does not. Especially
    >web-based exploits.
    >
    >Give Malwarebytes.com a try. Be sure to update the database before
    >running a full scan.

    Many thanks, Meatplow. One baddie out of the way, Hopefully I
    will not hear any more shouting - at least from the computer.

    dunc, Dec 19, 2009

    v33.ln1@unique_and_different_just_like_everyone_else.westnet.com.au>,
    >>> in 24hoursupport.helpdesk -->::
    >>>
    >>> <....>
    >>> <....>
    >>> The eternal "message" of so-called "Help-desks" everywhere, when no
    >>> other potential solution can be thought of.

    Yes. The attacker can as well alredy have migrated to using targeted
    remote control software and regular remote administration software which
    virus/malware scanners don't report.
    Or use pre-loaded rootkits that can fool your whole OS and the scanners
    loaded on top of that.

    >>Also the "message" from Microsoft themselves:
    >>
    >>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/cc512587.aspx

    >>> "Re-format and re-install". Sheesh ~!@#$%^&* ....

    >>Much better spending hours of your time fucking around with
    >>antivirus/antimalware 'solutions' eh? Some of which are malware
    >>themselves...
    >>
    >>Enjoy.

    > All that assumes (?) one periodically backs-up some rather large (1 TB
    > ?) drives, on a fairly "religious" basis :-(

    You are a fool when you store the OS on a 1TB partition.
    Even more reason to repartition, make a smaller OS partition and reinstall
    there. With good partitioning software, you won't even lose your p0rn
    collection doing that.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 20, 2009