Cold boot problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bryan Henderson, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning without
    hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the boot
    sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however. I
    have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb DDR
    RAM.

    Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite K7S5A
    mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there were
    horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button was
    the only option and it usually started ok.

    I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had the
    black lines with the new mobo set-up.

    In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal Serial
    Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a very
    basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has reappeared.

    I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine once
    started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was using it
    for no apparent reason.

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Are you using the same Windows install (same hard drive) as your previous
    setup? If so, you may have a currupt OS. It will be well worth your while to
    reformat your boot drive & reinstall Windows, 2000 or XP if you can swing
    it. If you've already done a clean install of Windows when you set up your
    new system, well, I don't know then....

    Peter Bungart, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Bryan Henderson

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Bryan Henderson mused:

    | I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine once
    | started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was using
    | it for no apparent reason.

    Try it with a different video card installed ...

    mhicaoidh, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Bryan Henderson

    Dimitris Guest

    "Bryan Henderson" <> wrote in message news:<brmu4t$58hlt$-berlin.de>...
    > My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning without
    > hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the boot
    > sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however. I
    > have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb DDR
    > RAM.
    >
    > Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite K7S5A
    > mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there were
    > horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button was
    > the only option and it usually started ok.
    >
    > I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    > drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had the
    > black lines with the new mobo set-up.
    >
    > In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal Serial
    > Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    > reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a very
    > basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has reappeared.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine once
    > started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was using it
    > for no apparent reason.

    I believe its a Power issue. You should get a stronger PSU(>=480W)
    from a good brand(not noname). Take an Antec 480. Your current PSU is
    probably "corrupted" and it needs to get a bit hot(just the right
    temperature for the voltage regulators to work properly, not too cold
    or too hot) in order to give correct voltages.
    This applies to the voltage regulators found on the mainboard also. So
    it maybe the mainboard to blame after all.
    But a brand new 480W PSU will be usefull regardless if it is your psu
    to blame.

    Dimitris, Dec 16, 2003
  5. > My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning without
    > hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the

    boot
    > sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however. I
    > have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb

    DDR
    > RAM.
    >
    > Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite K7S5A
    > mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there were
    > horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button was
    > the only option and it usually started ok.
    >
    > I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    > drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had

    the
    > black lines with the new mobo set-up.
    >
    > In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal Serial
    > Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    > reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a very
    > basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has reappeared.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine once
    > started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was using

    it
    > for no apparent reason.

    Do a clean install of Windows if you can

    Install VIA 4in1 drivers, version 4.49 or something. Download drivers for
    the video card.

    The unknown USB device might be USB2.0 related. You'll need the USB 2.0
    drivers.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Bryan Henderson

    c Guest

    > My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning without
    > hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the

    boot
    > sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however. I
    > have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb

    DDR
    > RAM.
    >
    > Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite K7S5A
    > mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there were
    > horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button was
    > the only option and it usually started ok.
    >
    > I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    > drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had

    the
    > black lines with the new mobo set-up.
    >
    > In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal Serial
    > Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    > reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a very
    > basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has reappeared.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine once
    > started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was using

    it
    > for no apparent reason.

    Not sure if this will fix your boot problem or not, but you need to get your
    motherboard/video/USB drivers straightened out. First install the latest
    motherboard drivers from here:
    http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V451v.zip

    Reboot your system and install the latest video drivers from here:
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=8&submit.y=9

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/zlnv (same page, short URL)

    Then install the USB2 drivers for your board, available here:
    <http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/MotherBoard/Fi
    leList/Driver/driver_usb20_via.exe>

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/zlnw (short URL)

    Chris

    c, Dec 17, 2003
  7. "Peter Bungart" <> wrote in message
    > Are you using the same Windows install (same hard drive) as your previous
    > setup? If so, you may have a currupt OS. It will be well worth your while

    > reformat your boot drive & reinstall Windows, 2000 or XP if you can swing
    > it. If you've already done a clean install of Windows when you set up your
    > new system, well, I don't know then....

    I installed Windows 98 SE over the the old install because I am not in a
    position to do a clean install at present. I have a friends data backed up
    on my hard disk for one thing. However I did install a new hard disk in the
    summer so it isn't that old an install which may not be much help! I am
    fairly sure that the problem could be with the PSU as they seem to cause me
    a lot of problems over time. I find the idea of backups fairly complicated
    and have never properly mastered a good strategy. I must try to learn more
    about this very soon.

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 17, 2003
  8. "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Bryan Henderson mused:
    > |
    > | I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine

    once
    > | started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was

    using
    > | it for no apparent reason.
    >
    > Try it with a different video card installed ...

    I don't have one at present but the shop where I bought the components is
    willing to do this when I bring the PC in.

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 17, 2003

    > > My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning

    without
    > > hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the

    boot
    > > sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however.

    > > have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb

    DDR
    > > RAM.
    > >
    > > Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite

    K7S5A
    > > mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there

    were
    > > horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button

    was
    > > the only option and it usually started ok.
    > >
    > > I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    > > drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had

    the
    > > black lines with the new mobo set-up.
    > >
    > > In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal

    Serial
    > > Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    > > reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a

    very
    > > basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has

    reappeared.

    > > I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine

    once
    > > started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was

    using it
    > > for no apparent reason.

    > I believe its a Power issue. You should get a stronger PSU(>=480W)
    > from a good brand(not noname). Take an Antec 480. Your current PSU is
    > probably "corrupted" and it needs to get a bit hot(just the right
    > temperature for the voltage regulators to work properly, not too cold
    > or too hot) in order to give correct voltages.
    > This applies to the voltage regulators found on the mainboard also. So
    > it maybe the mainboard to blame after all.
    > But a brand new 480W PSU will be usefull regardless if it is your psu
    > to blame.

    I like the sound of this idea because it seems to fit all the facts. I did
    buy a new 400W PSU about a year ago but I never seem to get one to last more
    than a year. I leave my PC on as an answer machine everyday and when I am
    away it is on 24/7.

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 17, 2003
  10. "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > My PC doesn't boot into Windows (98 SE) first thing in the morning

    without
    > > hitting the reset button. It is hanging close to the last stage in the

    > boot
    > > sequence. It does start after the reset button has been pressed however.

    > > have just installed a new Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo and two sticks of 256 mb

    > DDR
    > > RAM.
    > >
    > > Prior to this I was having problems with the previous set-up (Elite

    K7S5A
    > > mobo and 384 mb DDR RAM) where it would boot into Windows and there

    were
    > > horizontal black lines and no working icons, pressing the reset button

    was
    > > the only option and it usually started ok.
    > >
    > > I have a Radeon 7000 VE graphics card and Windows update installed new
    > > drivers for it just after I installed the new mobo. Prior to that I had

    > the
    > > black lines with the new mobo set-up.
    > >
    > > In Device manager there is listed an Unknown device under Universal

    Serial
    > > Bus controllers. I deleted this and restarted and ended up having to
    > > reconfigure the Display properties settings as they had reverted to a

    very
    > > basic configuration. The unknown device is still there or has

    reappeared.

    > > I would appreciate any help to solve this problem. The PC works fine

    once
    > > started although once it just switched off and rebooted while I was

    using
    > it
    > > for no apparent reason.

    > Do a clean install of Windows if you can
    >
    > Install VIA 4in1 drivers, version 4.49 or something. Download drivers for
    > the video card.
    >
    > The unknown USB device might be USB2.0 related. You'll need the USB 2.0
    > drivers.

    there is USB 2.0 on this mobo and drivers should have been installed from
    the CD with the disk. Is it better to look for new ones?

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 17, 2003
  11. > there is USB 2.0 on this mobo and drivers should have been installed from
    > the CD with the disk. Is it better to look for new ones?

    Hmm try the disk again, they may not be part of the chipset drivers.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Dec 18, 2003
  12. Bryan Henderson

    Shaun Rigby Guest

    tis deffo your harddrive,

    Shaun Rigby, Dec 18, 2003
  13. "Shaun Rigby" <> wrote in message
    > tis deffo your harddrive,

    can you esplain more?

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 18, 2003
  14. On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:28:38 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:

    >"Shaun Rigby" <> wrote in message
    >> tis deffo your harddrive,

    >can you esplain more?

    Hard drive seems unlikely. Have you tried the system with just the
    minimum devices - just the video card - installed?

    here_and_there, Dec 18, 2003
  15. "here_and_there" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:28:38 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Shaun Rigby" <> wrote in message
    > >> tis deffo your harddrive,

    > >can you esplain more?
    > >

    > Hard drive seems unlikely. Have you tried the system with just the
    > minimum devices - just the video card - installed?

    no not yet but I spoke to Gigabyte tech support today and he was adamant
    that my PSU was the problem. He stated Q-tec PSUs are not compatible with
    AMD processors and suggested I buy an Enermax PSU.

    Bryan Henderson, Dec 19, 2003
  16. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:33:45 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    <> wrote:

    >"here_and_there" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:28:38 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Shaun Rigby" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >can you esplain more?
    >> >

    >> Hard drive seems unlikely. Have you tried the system with just the
    >> minimum devices - just the video card - installed?

    >no not yet but I spoke to Gigabyte tech support today and he was adamant
    >that my PSU was the problem. He stated Q-tec PSUs are not compatible with
    >AMD processors and suggested I buy an Enermax PSU.

    Seems you got good advice - reead messages in the following groups

    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
    uk.comp.homebuilt

    Search for
    q-tec psu amd enermax

    here_and_there, Dec 19, 2003
  17. Bryan Henderson

    AlanS Guest

    > "here_and_there" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:28:38 -0000, "Bryan Henderson"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Shaun Rigby" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > >can you esplain more?
    > > >

    > > Hard drive seems unlikely. Have you tried the system with just the
    > > minimum devices - just the video card - installed?

    > no not yet but I spoke to Gigabyte tech support today and he was adamant
    > that my PSU was the problem. He stated Q-tec PSUs are not compatible with
    > AMD processors and suggested I buy an Enermax PSU.

    From the Voltage figures you gave earlier changing the PSU would be my bet
    too. Enermax are good PSU's but there are others too. Can you find a friend
    with a more powerful PSU and borrow it to try?
    The 'not compatible' could be right- the processor may be pulling more power
    than your PSU is designed to give- Voltage will drop under these
    circumstances, and be even lower at computer startup- disks spinning up etc.

    AlanS, Dec 19, 2003